There wont be another successful new TLP server. Change my mind.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Risiko, May 23, 2018.

1. Risiko Augur

No matter how many TLP servers that get created, there's always people saying something about "the next TLP server".

To be completely honest, I don't think there will be another TLP server that has any chance of being successful.

Why?

Because I truly don't think there are enough people left that WANT to start over again. Sure there will be a handful of people reply to this thread saying they will play on another TLP server, but it takes more than 10 forum warriors to make a server successful.

I've been on all of the TLP servers up to this point except for Lockjaw (because there was no point seeing as I was active on Ragefire at the time). I know I only speak for myself here, but even with all of my nostalgia-loving nature can not fathom the idea of grinding out the low levels yet again, fighting for limited camps in a very limited number of zones (no the zone experience modifications did not help open up more leveling paths because reasons), charm stealing mobs, krono farming trainers, etc. The average person can only go through all of that so many times before they say that's it.

The point is, Ragefire/Lockjaw have their longterm players. Phinigel has it's longterm players. Agnarr has the p99 players that want a locked server. Coirnav is the last bastion for what was left over of the TLP-nostalgia players.

The "next" TLP server will have a surge of players day one, and then when that surge mostly made up of Krono farmers realize there just aren't enough "actual players" there to support their market, they will leave. And, we will officially have the first modern TLP server that has no raid guilds downing anything.

The TLP gamers is a finite pool, and I think we have reached the limits of what that pool can sustain.

Change my mind...
  2. Raina Elder

There will be another successful TLP
    Malicre likes this.
  3. TLPjunkie New Member

I think you're right and wrong.

The issue with Coirnav was that there was nothing unique about it. If they try to do another Phinny/Coirnav clone next year for 20th anniversary, it will likely play out exactly as you have said.

However if they were to launch a FV ruleset Truebox server, I think it has the potential to be wildly successful.

Why do I think this? It adds a unique element to the game that does not currently exist. Right now, guilds are all about becoming as large as possible to clear raid content as quickly as possible. On a FV ruleset server, you would have many more smaller guilds trying to maximize loot potential. I don't know about you, but after years of essentially zerging down raid mobs, rolling into raid zones with smaller crews for a challenge sounds fun.

Sure, this would bring out krono farmers, but it's a two way street. FV has been the highest population live server because hoardes of casual players roll there because they know they can remain current on gear by purchasing krono and buying the raid gear they need. This is the biggest draw for me. I'm older and I don't have time to raid as much as I used to. I would prefer to just buy what I need. It's really a win/win for daybreak and the players. And I'm shocked this hasn't been implemented yet. Many people thought Coirnav was going to have this ruleset.
  4. Risiko Augur

A FV ruleset TLP server would have the highest population of krono farmers ever.

There's a reason that the toxicity of krono farmers dies down at a certain point on every TLP server. It's because at a certain point in EQ progression, chase loot becomes No Drop.

If you take away No Drop (which is what the FV ruleset does), then the krono farmers have no reason to leave a TLP server ever.
    ForumBoss and Krezzy like this.
  5. Arrk Augur

FV Loot rules are the WORST Loot rules... that is just a KR farmers dream server...I would prefer a server where everything is no drop(minus tradeskill items)

Coirnav would have been good if they had just gone away from that horrible xp rate...
    Malicre and Krezzy like this.
  6. TLPjunkie New Member

There's a reason Firiona Vie is the highest population of all live servers.

Hint: The entire population are not krono farmers. The majority of players are casuals who can't keep up with a raid guild, but want to remain current on gear (myself included.)
  7. Arrk Augur

Not really... I think the bigger reason FV is successful is it is the RP server. FV rules do help, but RP servers are always populated more because most of the time the populace is more friendly... at least that is a common perception.

Edit: If they were going to do the ruleset, it needs to be the full original ruleset.
    1 character per account, take away the global channels, TLC, etc.
  8. Whipper Journeyman

Personally, I think most players said this about Coirnav, and I think once we get into Planes of Power, we will see another one, kinda like Phinigel--> when Agnarr got Announced. Playing in classic is fun, but we need to go through the other expansions again before we get back to classic; as well as hoping for a 20th anniversary server with FV rules - it will be insanely popular.
  9. frankie78227 Augur

I think a no Krono, true box, instanced server with an enforced PNP could be very successful but that's never going to happen, so I agree with OP.
    discordkitty likes this.
  10. Tiggold Augur

I don't agree with the sentiment that TLP servers are for those who want to start over. It's for Krono sales, all of them. You say you want to "start over" but then log onto a server with old rule sets, old expansions, and all the old bugs you loved just to buy Krono and sell/trade them for items you wouldn't be able to get in a true TLP environment. There is no starting over, nothing even close. You can not replicate the feeling you used to get at the very beginning, definitely not through buying Krono to trade for a Banded armor set. It completely negates the whole "spirit" of this TLP business that a lot of you have bought into. I don't even want to discourage people from doing it because for all I know the Krono sales are the only reason DBG is interested in devoting any time to this franchise. Who knows - not me. What I do know is the people who are going to TLP for a nostalgia experience and then getting involved in Krono exchanges are hypocritical at the least. Say NO to TLP and move forward with the game. I'll see you when you get here.
    frankie78227 likes this.
  11. Stewgottz Augur

The AoC/No truebox server will empty all the current TLP’s and potentially leach some amount of live players, they’d probably need two to handle all the picks and dz’s(hopefully not).

The smart move is keeping it in their pocket, I’d wait to roll it out as well.
  12. Krezzy Augur

For a TLP to succeed, it needs to make DBG a profit. This means it needs to net subscriptions or Krono purchases over what existing servers provide.

The labor involved in running a new server must be pretty small. DBG won't likely be creating new positions for TLP servers. With costs remaining flat, the bar is set pretty low for success, even if the server quickly goes to low population. (40-slot bag sales generate a couple months' of income, and tend to be front-loaded into a server's life.)

Can a new server be sustainable, though? I think it may be possible if DBG takes measures to eliminate the pain players constantly post about here - toxic players. Specific measures can be hashed out in another thread, but if players are convinced there is an approach that will work, there will be a huge selling point for a new TLP.
  13. Machentoo Augur

None of those groups are going to still be around in nearly the same numbers two years from now.

We are reaching the point of seismic shift in Everquest expansions. Mercs, cookie cutter gear, vastly more difficult raiding that not all guilds will be able to handle, much more involved group progression requirements. A lot of those Ragefire/Lockjaw/Phinigel players are going to bail out at some point in the next two years, probably the majority of them. If a new server comes along at the right time with the right ruleset, it could keep many of these players playing.
    p2aa likes this.
  14. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

Don't we realize that the server with a demand FOR kronos does not necessary meet that demand through the supply of kronos produced locally on that server. The krono counter is a cross account mechanism. One could argue that the prolific TLP krono production helps fund FV's ruleset and aids the casual player on that server who has the skill to play at a high level but lacks that playtime.
  15. The Hated One Augur

No True box. Instanced. 4 month expansion unlock. Normal EXP rates. Normal loot rules.

This server would do just fine. In fact I would predict that it would be the most populated until late into expansions where boxing struggles a bit due to lack of hands to perform the 16 tasks to complete encounters. But it would rock for 2-3 years for sure.
    discordkitty likes this.
  16. Febb Augur

I think the next TLP will be something with a higher exp rate for all the casuals that want to experience EQ past PoP/LoY/LDoN.
  17. tankNspank Elder

IMO, its doesnt matter what ruleset you apply, even if cornaiv had RP / No drop / FV / Whatever new style you want, the exp rate is total complete trash. Just that exp rate will kill it for me. I dont want to grind and grind and grind and grind just to hit max level for raiding. Release something with agnarr or better exp rate and im in.

They better get the money while they can, WoW vanilla is going to eat them up once its released.
  18. Hateseeker Augur

I can't justify starting over unless there's an open-trade-loot server, and probably one with a faster exp/faster unlocks. But the question is, will they make the decision to offer something like that before some alternative like Pantheon is available?
  19. Chuuk Augur

The only successful TLP, in my opinion, that is left to exist is The Boxer's Dream:
    • AoC's
    • no truebox
    • FV rules
    Maybe they'll hold off on the FV loot rules, but having AoC's and removing truebox will be the final evolution from the old "casuals don't deserve to fight Nagafen" mindset. Other than drastically altering the gameplay, this is the last card up their sleeve. I wouldn't even really mind the crap exp if I can 4-box my way thru the game.

I can honestly say now, I'd re-sub w/ 4 accounts on this server. I hate truebox.
  20. Hateseeker Augur

This is only true in the sense that everyone on an open trade loot server is a krono farmer because everyone can buy and sell good loot. The people you are trying to reference as krono farmers, in the sense that they are the ones damaging the server in some way or gaming the system, will actually get less for their efforts on a FV ruleset TLP because of the simple fact that everyone will be empowered to participate in the trade. OPen trade loot bridges the gap between the hardcore farmers and the regular players, and makes it a viable marketplace where everyone benefits more than they do on non-open-loot servers. Non-open loot servers only benefit the permacampers and megaboxers who will not hesitate to content block in some way. Everyone except those players who have a philosophical opposition to people being able to buy loot instead of looting it themselves, anyway.

The difference is that starting with GoD or even more with DoDH, nearly everything becomes instanced, so content blocking goes away. That's where toxicity truly ends, and ends in a good way, compared to ending in a bad way because everything becomes non-tradeable.

Also, ALL TLP servers are technically open trade loot for the first two expansions since so much is tradeable.
    ForumBoss likes this.