Introducing my MMO newbie friend to EQ for the first time. Seeking advice.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Dandy, May 22, 2018.

1. Dandy Augur

My friend has agreed to try out Coirnav with me. Her only MMO experience is a month of playing WoW recently.

I'd love some advice for classes we could duo.

She thinks healing is boring and from my observations she's not suited to do anything important like tank/pull/CC. She needs something that doesn't take much skill. And I'd love to find a duo we could play without a group.

I myself am pretty flexible.
  2. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Chanter mage. You be the chanter. That gives you the ability to pull and tank, letting her pet and mash dips buttons.
    Dandy likes this.
  3. tankNspank Elder

First, you really should inform her that the exp rate is garbage, so expect many hours of killing to reach max.
    Dandy likes this.
  4. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Phinigel gets TSS tommorow and with it drastically increased XP rates and a streamlined leveling path.

If you aren't dead set on playing in classic that might be a smoother entry for someone that has never played EQ.
    Rouan, Xyroff-cazic. and Dandy like this.
  5. Dandy Augur

I forgot all about the lame xp rate. :(

Regardless I'd be amazed if we reached max level on any TLP server, lol! Only reason I was thinking Coirnav is so we'd have people to meet in the early levels.
  6. Dandy Augur

Dude that's actually not a bad idea! And she'd probably appreciate the graphics in those zones. I am pretty keen to play in Kunark though so... I'll have to think about it.
  7. Arrk Augur

Why not Agnarr? If it is a new person it will take some time for them to get rolling, and on an ever progressing server it will always be a chore to catch up and new systems keep coming in.

Agnarr is perfect for new people as you can always reach the summit...
    Dandy likes this.
  8. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

TSS on Phinigel seconded for sure. My wife sucks at MMO's (love you, honey!) but we play together occasionally. She loves checking stuff off on the achievement list. It's a lot easier to pick a specific goal and accomplish it during your play session compared to the more open ended classic content. We tried playing on Lockjaw back when it was in classic, and she got bored by level 3 since it was really just grinding xp and nothing else to do.

If you plan to duo a lot though, one of you will need some type of healing power. Could do something like she plays mage, you play druid. That way you can do the pulling with lulls, snares, roots, etc. and you cover the healing. She just pet tanks, nukes, etc.
    Dandy likes this.
  9. Hinastorm86 Augur

Seconded on one of you being a priest, or at the very least one of you have some healing.

Druid/mage like xry said would be solid. A shaman/melee pair is also good.
    Dandy likes this.
  10. Adonhiram Augur

/cheer Dandy
    Good luck to your friend, and btw, I'm back (lol). Mage requires a lot of micro-management if you want to play the class intelligently (for example, hotkeying all pet positions to be able to toggle in a heartblink Stop, Guard, Follow etc.), are you sure she will have the patience do do that ? For a real newbie, some classes might appear more shining, wizard for example, she will have crits from day 1, just a guess. But I agree with Hinastorm, DRU/MAG is a perfect combo, I boxed this from classic to Velious (before starting to box more) and it helped me a lot.
    Dandy likes this.
  11. Dandy Augur

Welcome back! What are you up to in EQ these days?

I don't really play anymore but I stop by the forums and reddit to see what's going on from time to time. I've gone to the dark side.. WoW has become my preferred MMO.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm starting to think my friend should just pick a random class and I'll try to compliment it the best I can. It's gonna be a misadventure no matter what so I think I should just focus on having some fun and a few laughs.
    Adonhiram likes this.
  12. Adonhiram Augur

Oh no EQ is losing Dandy :-( Why is WoW so appealing, the magic didn't work for me, had two WoW periods when I was upset against Everquest, but after a few months, both times, I just couldn't stand the atmosphere (people) and the cartoon look of WoW anymore...

Anyway, let's hope you can have some fun with your friend, but at least think of a duo class combination which will allow you kill some group content, don't make a ROG/WIZ duo lol.