Falling krono prices

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mulleteer, May 22, 2018.

1. Mulleteer Elder

I have noticed that krono has dropped on several servers. I don't know if this is happening on all servers.
    On my server krono has gone from about 2.2 million to 1.8 million.

Any speculations why this is occurring?
    Is this happening on all live servers?
  2. svann Augur

Have not seen that on Bristle. Advertised prices have been about 2.1-2.2 for a while now.
  3. Riou EQResource

People think DBG is gonna shut down due to that Columbus Nova stuff - so Krono value has dropped hard (lowest was like 50% of normal), so they are trying to cash out by dumping their Krono and such
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  4. Yimin Augur

Supply and demand ! When the demand is low price will fall simple as that ,also if there are to many the price will drop as well ...

YiMin
  5. xcitng Augur

Why would having Krono be any different than having platinum if DBG shut down? I think the main reason Krono lost value at this time is because there is a lot of Krono in game right now due to people buying them from DBG, then selling them for platinum to buy the new player made gear and augs.

DBG had a sale for quite awhile on Krono too.
  6. Riou EQResource

Krono price in game is based on its RL Value, when the RL value drops the Platinum value to purchase also decreases to more closely match

If people in general are trying to cash out to dump them asap, the normal people buying them for Platinum (which is probably like the vast majority of purchases that buy for plat -> convert to RL) aren't buying any anymore
  7. Baadan New Member

I saw another post that laid it out in better legal and accounting language, but essentially the worry is/was that if ownership changed, the new owner may not be obligated to honor previously purchased Kronos because the service rendered was to DBG, not the new owner.
  8. frankie78227 Augur

This. I would find it hilarious if all the krono out there would be rendered worthless overnight. I have noticed that the price drop has also effected 3rd party sellers.
  9. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Holding steady at 63k on Phinny.
  10. svann Augur

Contractual obligations are NOT unbound due to new ownership. Buy the company, you buy the debts too. obligatory IANAL

edit: also if there is a sale it would be someone buying DBG, not someone buying eq. So DBG wouldnt be going away.
  11. Kegwell Lurker since '99

Krono remain on the books as a liability until someone uses one at which point it becomes revenue.
  12. Millianna Augur

Whoever buys DBG does not have to continue selling Kronos. With the current world drama over loot boxes and gambling, I wouldn’t be shocked if Kronos go away.
  13. Jetslam Augur

Kronos are in no way comparable to loot boxes in other games. There's a 100% chance that you will receive the reward (30d game time) when you buy one.
    Niskin likes this.
  14. Aurastrider Augur

Please explain to me the correlation between what some consider gambling (loot boxes) and a krono (a tradable subscription item)? I for one don't see the correlation and I would be shocked if kronos were removed from the game. The amount of profits they bring in helps the bottom line and does way more good for the game than it does bad imo.
  15. svann Augur

insert hand wavy vague reference to rare loot here
  16. Smokezz The Bane Crew

You'd find it pretty hilarious when the new owners of the game wondered why a very significant part of the population said screw this, and walked away... and they couldn't continue with the game.
  17. Smokezz The Bane Crew

What? There are no loot boxes in EQ. God you're clueless.
  18. Blitter Elder

Sellers want $US. It doesn't matter if they sell plat for $ or krono for $.

Krono is around $11, it used to be around $8.
    $1 is currently around 110k plat. It used to be around 200-220k per $1.

So 110k * 11 = 1210k. So a krono is worth 1.2mil plat to a krono seller. So it's more profitable to sell plat for $ atm rather than krono. But money is money so either is fine :)

As for why....
    Falling server populations = less demand.
    Tradeskill quests has reduced plat in circulation, which probably has some effect on the $US to plat ratio.
    There is nothing profitable to sell. The TS stuff is cheap and readily available.
  19. Daedly Augur

The Krono bubble is about to collapse and EQ is heading into a recession. Blame those right wing hardcore raiders and their instance that the best gear should be for people who actually earn it..... /jest
  20. Millianna Augur

The Kronos can be used to cash out, even if that’s not intentional...