Do progression servers have the old Freeport?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Kirab, May 18, 2017.

1. Kirab Lorekeeper

Question in title basically. Do the TLP servers have the old Freeport, or is it the new crappy one? Considering playing on Agnarr, but if it's the new Freeport that eliminates my desire to make a human out of Freeport.
  2. Roartyger Smoot Elder

Fare the well original Freeport. You are missed. You had the flavor and ambiance. Orc pawns and fire beetles would aggro together. Toxdil was behind the fake wall instead of the jail of the warriors guild. Players could get locked in the bank and Zigg Flinn was appropriately placed so that he would chase and attack you if he didn't like you. I must have gated my iksar shaman about 200 times to the spot near Falia Frikniller to give her the family heirloom to raise faction. Rebby Willend got his fair share of Rebby's Whiskers. Now it's all a weird loop, can't climb on the ramparts or any of the new buildings. The Coalition of the Tradefolk Illegal and the Dismal Rage conduct their business in tents and lean tos instead of being hidden away in underground tunnels.

I had one moment of nostalgia there recently. I mistyped something and accidentally killed Fagan almost like I was going to ask an npc something and I hit the 'a' key by mistake.

Having made a character on a progression server to check this myself months ago I was able to get my answer. I can understand the reluctance to subscribe again only to be disappointed on your part.
    Bailen, Zahel and Kirab like this.
  3. Razzle Augur

Its the new Freeport. I loved the old Freeport. o_O
    Janakin likes this.
  4. Fluid Augur

I knew the old Freeport, including the underground, like the back of my hand. I felt betrayed by the new design on a couple of levels: Rug pulled out from me on what I did know, forced to learn a new confusing layout, the new layout is just plain bad. There are so many wall in the ways and dead ends that it defies common sense. Indeed if you could equip a sledge hammer in EQ I would would knock down half the walls to make the area usable again. I find myself using multiple FIND's to get across the city now. Pick one point about 1/2 way to your destination and get the path, then pick my final destination.
    Zahel and Janakin like this.
  5. Captain Video Augur

Most of the code for the old Freeport is gone, there isn't really anything the current devs can do on that score. The other side of the coin is that the layout of the new Freeport is much more consistent with that of the other starter cities. Be thankful the progression servers have the new UI, including Find.
  6. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

I like the new Freeport.
    Rhodz likes this.
  7. Anhari Augur

When the new layout first came out, I had an old toon bound in Freeport. It took SOE a couple of years to fix this, so when I would gate, it would take me to Old Freeport where I could run around to my heart's content. No other toons hogging resources, an bank in the zone that actually worked etc.!

As to the new Freeport, I avoid it like a paladin would avoid Nariak at low levels! As said though, find is your friend in this god-forsaken zone!
  8. Amendale New Member

I hate the new Freeport... with a hate that is deep, visceral, and precious... I wish it upon the worst of my enemies, so that they too will feel the deep stench of this unquenchable contagion... the bile of it is like a putrid wine served upon me with every visit... such a derisive postule set upon us by the an odious villain can never be forgiven... we hates it forever!
  9. Reht The Dude abides...

Original Freeport comes back in Kunark but it's accessed through the Burning Woods....
  10. Anhari Augur

Isn't that the Burned Woods"? I think it is off of the Great Divide this week.
  11. Kolani Augur

North and East Freeport are (were?) still in game, but East was accessed via a monster mission in Butcherblock and North is in the shadowknight epic request instance.
  12. Jennis New Member

I've been enjoying classic everything on p99. You won't find what you're looking for on the live servers anymore. I log into the nameless now and then, and it's definitely not eq anymore. Gives me a headache looking at the updated bs.
  13. Aurastrider Augur

I think what you mean to say is its not your perception of EQ. The last time I checked p99 is a clone and not the original. Just because you like something old and outdated does not mean the newer more evolved version is worse or inferior. Honestly I don't know how you guys play the same content over and over again without any change over time. To me that is not what EQ is about. EQ when released was innovative, fresh, creative and an experience unlike anything else around. Once you have played in the same zone for the millionth time it kind of loses all of these factors. Modern EQ certainly is not like classic it is miles ahead of it in terms of game play and enjoyment but that's just my own personal opinion.
  14. Shanarias Augur

When I first came back, after over a 10 year absence, I was in POK, and "OOC'd I am a Human Cleric. Am I KOS to anything here?", and got a few laughs, and a whole lot of help from another player. so as soon as I was back, I took the book to Freeport. Imagine my shock. I didn't know anything. So I went to the EC Tunnel, where I found myself to be the only player there.

I did myself a favor and started a new char, and did the tutorial.
  15. frankie78227 Augur

Any new expansion should include a new, new Freeport. It should be designed as close as possible to the old Freeport. This should be above all new content priorities and the streets should be lined with platinum you can loot. Power sources should rain from the heavens. There is no need for this travesty to have existed for such a long time.
  16. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Totally, bro. EQ can only be defined as something that closely resembles its years of infancy. Progress sucks.
  17. Nolrog Augur

There is currently no way for them to have different geometry on different servers. They all run off the same zone layout, and then restrict certain NPCs to spawn at a specific time.