Come over to Zek

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by sintikx, Apr 27, 2018.

1. feeltheburn Augur

2. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The Passive Aggression is tempting
    But I'll stay blue
    Nennius, Gyurika Godofwar and EnchFWO like this.
  3. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

And for no reason here’s Apu a Haiku:

Toxic Zek, “Help us!”
    Bluebies want none, not for us
    Zek, “Well, you toxic!”

Those were the days.
  4. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

Yes. His main was a zerker, but he requested a ranger.
  5. Yimin Augur

Zek needs help for sure Zulla wish more would just allow you to recruit to your server , coming here to slam you is like you slamming someone for recruiting for there guild ....Would be sweet to see Zek raiding again .....

YiMin
    Kikinu likes this.
  6. Britans New Member

I'm surprised anyone is still playing on the Zek Server. I played Vallon Zek for years and even then it felt like SOE didn't give two about the pvp aspect of the game. What makes it quite laughable is that it has literally been years without any major attempts to fix the server itself. Imagine going in to any business location and a section of the store hasn't been stocked, swept, or updated in almost a decade. It looks VERY poor on the business owner itself, not the server. I don't blame the zek playerbase for being toxic, I would too if I saw Daybreak making new servers and doing all these cool things while still not even trying to fix one of the oldest established servers in dire need of help.

The one thing I've always been taught in business is to be proud of the product or service you offer as a business. So Daybreak leadership, can you honestly say you are proud of the product you are offering your customer base in relation to Zek? If you are then there is no wonder you are laying off employees.
  7. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Don't be obtuse. PvP in EQ failed, and then they gave on up on it. It happened in that order, not the other way around. But that's not really the part of your post that got me to respond, so lets get to that.

You don't blame the Zek player base for being toxic? Do you not understand the basic natures of PvP and Humans? PvP enables people to affect other people. Humans aren't very good at limiting their affect on other people, especially when they are winning, and even more so when other people are seeing them winning. PvP attracts the kind of people who don't care about things like server health over getting a kill. Are you seeing the toxic potential yet?

I have to keep going back to EVE Online here. It's a well tuned and heavily curated PvP MMO, very successful in attracting PvP players. It's also filled with the worst pieces of garbage you ever gamed with. People who will hack your forums in real life to beat you in game. People who will grief you in real life if they can find you. People who literally can't enjoy a game unless they are getting one over on somebody. That's toxic.
  8. Britans New Member

Your opinion is that PVP attracts toxic players and you correlate that to a different game that has had similar issues. Ok so by that right games such as Fortnite and PUBG should have a very poor following as well. BUT WAIT, the argument you are going to follow with is, those aren't MMO's they are just FPS. Ok, let's find one that hits closer to home, World of Warcraft. They have built in pvp servers that are both global pvp and instanced. I'm sure they are doing horribly as well because of their toxic playerbase right?
    Everquest is not WoW, it's not EVE, its not a FPS or any other game. Each game has its own unique challenges and opportunities. The difference in all of them is that the developers of other games have made a concerted effort to address and work on various issues associated with PVP and player interactions. SoE and Daybreak has chosen even in your own words, to give up on it. EQ pvp failing is also a matter of perspective. Since neither of us know specifics its hard to say EQ failed without relevant data. When Vallon and Tallon were getting merged with Rallos, we still had a very vibrant community and active player base on Vallon. You're looking at the what remains of a server that hasn't been given any attention in years.

Also you could just be trolling so I mean there is that. But again, you probably never played on any pvp server so your perception of it is highly biased, just as mine is.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

World of Warcraft is also killing every pvp server and making so that world pvp is disabled by default and players have to enable a flag to pvp in the open world. I am guessing that the problem of high level players camping newbie zones to grief lower level players played a big part in this change. Personally I consider players griefing like this toxic players.
  10. Eggolas Augur

FWIW, a group of us came over from Diablo years ago for precisely that reason - toxic players setting traps and kill zones. Will never go to a PvP game now.
  11. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I didn't say the toxicity made PvP unpopular, just that PvP attracts toxic players. The way a game is setup determines whether the toxicity is managed well and what effect it has. I mentioned other games because this is a core concept of PvP, and other games manage it better in terms of mitigating the effect of the toxicity. That keeps people playing even when they get the short end of the stick.

Fortnite and PUBG are the top two Battle Royale games in existence right now. They are going to be popular, and they are also going to be full of a**holes. But those games are based on PvP, they are designed to keep you playing over and over again. This is hugely different from the environment on a single server in a PvE game that allows PvP.

Somewhere between killing a player once and corpse-camping a player until they log in frustration is a line between healthy and toxic. That line is the point where PvP neither encourages participation, nor discourages it. The other side of that line is where all the stuff PvP players find fun happens to be. And it escalates as each action becomes more boring. Things like the battlegrounds in WoW mitigate the effect of that, and they are basically just the MMO version of the core game play of PvP FPS games.

But in the open world it's a free for all, and players affect the choices other players make by their own actions. Why do you think they merged all the Zek's originally? It certainly wasn't because they all had healthy populations and were doing fine on their own. And yes, I blame the players for that. People weren't leaving because of anything the NPCs did to them.

Now, could Verant/SOE/DBG have made adjustments to limit the toxicity of these servers? Probably, but this is a PvE game and it's hard enough to tune PvP games to mitigate the toxicity, let alone PvE games.

I can assure you I'm not a troll, but feel free to look through my old posts if you need confirmation. I've played PvP in many games, although only a little here in EQ on Sullon Zek. I'm not just saying killing players is toxic, I'm saying the tendencies of player killers to take things too far, for the lulz, is toxic. The affected player then gets mad and does that to somebody else, grief begets grief. And that's a trait I've seen in every player who enjoys PvP in any game I've played it in. Griefing is too tempting and they don't care about the consequences. Any game that doesn't recognize that and deal with it will see it's own players pushing other players out, and not caring that they are doing so.
  12. Britans New Member

I appreciate your perspective on the subject, and you are right in some ways that PvP can entice toxic players to grief others. What it does however, is deter from my original statement, that Zek at its current state is the result of going over a decade with very minimal support to keep a healthy population alive. At its prime, those specific toxic players were not able to get in to guilds and constantly hunted down. They had bad reputations and the high end guilds did not let them in at all. Fast forward a decade later, those same guilds who enacted play nice policies such as loot and scoot are gone because they spent years playing on a server where their cries for help were never addressed. So the people who left the server because of this helped the toxic players prosper and grow.

All in all, PVP server is a direct product of its management. You can argue player toxicity and other mitigating factors but they are all a direct result of no attempt by SOE/Daybreak to fix the issue.
  13. Tutankamen Augur

If you want an Exp bonus come to FV. Zek is so empty that there are like 11 people on at any given time. I actually paid to move all of my characters off of Zek to FV. FV is the most populated server there is.
    BadPallyGuildLeader likes this.
  14. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

Gonna bump this. FV is great in every way. If you are skilled you can get anything in the game virtually that anyone else can get who may only have more playing time than you. That's kind of my motto as I enjoy EQ these, "The only thing the raiders have that I dont have on FV is more playing time."