For Newbies on starting out in Pet class game

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Sigra, May 12, 2018.

1. Sigra New Member

Hello currently we have 110 in ever classes and group tested gear vs raid sets. For new players starting out. Some pro tips if you are like most in EQ you find you box or solo.

Unless you have a lot people to group with you will find EQ is strong intent on Pet class gaming, by that I mean for example.

Per say to get a tank in progression to 110 Ring of Scale tier 2 will take you on average month to 2 months with hardcore playing 8 hours a day on average with solid groups and the stuff that you will be able to tank in progression as for drops will be useless to you as by the time you can tank them bosses.

You find as well in this game, unless players are inexperience its best let pet do the tanking and most will beg you back off, which i don't blame them..pet taunts are amazing.

On other hand a person with small cost and fast leveling on any pet class and minimum gear can solo these classes with Pet...get DPS + Tanking that is greater then full group geared RoS that has no dps hardly in 1 package.

So in return Progression if say your playing not to raid, you will be better served with a pet class and be able farm on your own most all bosses in 110 category.

So to sum it up...90% of all that time in progression to get all them items, augs, armor , weapon..rare spawns on a tank class...for mere couple weeks and 3000pp i think it is...can out rank paladin,SK and a warrior for 90% of your time spent and level way faster without groups.

Best Regards.
  2. slayerofbats Augur

Yea pets are pretty OP. But a lot of people say tanks are a lot better once geared. Also there is a chance pets might get nerfed sometime. I guess the same could happen with tanks but I doubt it would be as significant.
  3. Adonhiram Augur

Is this a joke ?
  4. IblisTheMage Augur

It could be a super-troll revisiting old feuds.

If so, he creates a an array of new accounts, maintain a list of big historical feuds, and periodically attempts to re-launch them.

The fora are too vulnerable to structured trolling, IMO. It is a business risk.
    Adonhiram likes this.
  5. Adonhiram Augur

Spoken wisely ;-)
  6. Gnomeland Augur

Obvious use of sarcasm to try and get pets changed...

That said, he's not wrong about it being difficult for new players to bring a tank up to task.

There's a simple reason for why this is - tank classes have a terrible time trying to progress on their own and farming all that equipment. By contrast, pet classes can generally get away with just paying for a pet earring, and using out dated equipment.

This was made worse by the heroic adventure changes recently, which on top of the tank changes in general, made them very difficult to tank for a player in standard equipment for that level.

I think this does need to change. But making it so pet classes have it just as hard, is not the answer.
  7. Numzan Augur

I noticed the pets are horrible for the mages. There was a day i really enjoyed them on Live servers but the TLP server does not even allow you the ability to heal them. Whatever brain dead person decided that surely isn't thinking clear. Just keep nerfing, we all know where the masses will head soonish.
  8. slayerofbats Augur

wat?!
  9. Numzan Augur

Yup not until kunark before the line opens up. In the mean time smack dead pet
  10. moogs Augur

This is a little bit nuts. I didn't think it was true but you're right.
    Numzan likes this.
  11. Numzan Augur

Not 1 person realized this after the massive pet nerf "because they ran out of stats on live" but to say lets open up a classic server tlp and add in no heal line for the mages. Give us our mitigation back, and go nerf your sandwiches :)
  12. moogs Augur

The classic period doesn't last all that long, so I guess for now you guys will have to rely on other game mechanics such as grouping with healers and asking them nicely to keep your pet alive. I am not in favor of adding new spells to cover functionality that did not exist for the previous 19 years.
    Tiggold likes this.
  13. bigpapa Augur

pet doing pretty good but a " real * tank knowing what they doing are just much better than a pet.
    my friend SK can have several mobs on him np , while my mage ( lv 110 ) pet doing pretty good with one mob but I need to be carefull when we get some adds, , either root / mez the extra add ( s ) .

but I agree that he is good geared with good augments and aa's . ( that's from ROS mobs ) .
  14. Adonhiram Augur

Pet healing didn't exist for mages in classic nor in original Kunark. They gave two minor pet heals a while after Kunark launched in answer to a request from the player base, but making it useful in terms of healing only for low and mid level pets (aimed at people leveling their mage).

The more potent pet healing spells started out in Luclin, but they are still not very good (level 60 heal is... 900 hps), you are not supposed to heal as well as any priest class.

The true purpose of pet heals in the early expansions is to CURE your pet when it gets hit by a debuff or a dot. All pet heals include cure counters against poison, disease and curse, even the low level ones. For example, a single cast of your lowest pet heal will remove Tash (1 poison counter) from your pet.

Each new rank of pets (and spells) will yield a new pet heal which is important to the solo (mediocre heal but can allow a pet to tank longer) and to the raid (cures and healing aoe damage) mage.
  15. Adonhiram Augur

Oh and I forgot, the Kunark pet heals are implemented on TLP servers, but I remember vaguely they were not on the NPC vendors at launch on Lockjaw where I started, but that's almost three years ago, I might be wrong.
  16. Aurastrider Augur

I had to read this post several times over to figure out what the OP is even trying to suggest. Basically they are only half correct. Yes it is much faster to get to end game with a pet class vs a tank due to the gear factor. Yes pets can tank well. Yes the actual pet classes will do better dps than a tank class. This is where the advantages end though and for the long haul an actual tank will give you better returns on your investment. Pets lack agro management and intelligence that a player tank brings to the table. They have no special abilities meaning they just attack until something is dead or they are dead. If you are part of the fast food mindset where you want it in 90 seconds or less than by all means roll with a pet class but realize you might end up eating a cardboard burger in the end. If you don't mind putting in the time that it takes on an actual tank than you can enjoy some prime rib here and there. There is no need to dumb down pets and make them useless. If you want to talk about improving tank survivability that is something I would be interested in hearing about but nerfing one class to bring it down to another classes perceived level serves no purpose in most cases.
  17. Sigra New Member

I think either I see some response from people do not know how play pet class>?

Is everone from angur newbies? sorry but between you and adonhiram, sound pretty new

I from beta 2 here? if think I am trolling I play sigra on Xegony one original 4 servers in beta

BTW. TANKs server part in raiding or rare times a group forms due to over populated boxing in EQ.

What I am saying is, for a new player that knows no one, get a pet class, be able solo even names for your gear for your weak tank progressively leveling. If don't get this. not sure how help you players commenting.
  18. Aurastrider Augur

Say what now? I am guessing English is not your first language and maybe this is causing some confusion?

I understand what you are saying. Pet classes are the easiest class to level up and get to end game. Read my response again and you will see that I already mentioned this. I pointed out the several advantages that pet classes have over an actual tank. I have 4 mages that I box with an SK so by no means do I think pet classes are weak. Pets have their limitations though especially when it comes to agro management. There are some missions in this game that it would be nearly impossible to use a pet tank on and even some named mobs. This becomes very apparent when there are adds that spawn. But since I am a newb and don't know anything I probably would not know about such mobs or encounters. Without a real tank these mobs or missions become a serious roadblock to progression.
  19. IblisTheMage Augur

The OP is throwing away so much context...

If you always will have an enchanter, and never want to do the more challenging content, then you can have some fun with a pet class, and gear is less of a concern.

It is a really bad advice the OP is giving.

Play a pet class if you think it is fun, is how the advice should be to newer players.
    Aurastrider likes this.
  20. Intenso Augur

mag progression server class who actually plays them on live lol