How many tanks

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by nodontcarekkthxbye, May 14, 2018.

1. nodontcarekkthxbye Augur

are used in raids in OoW, and further expansions? Thinking of playing a warrior, but If I cant get some raid tanking in cause only 1 or 2 are used like in classic, then naw im good.

THANKS
  2. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Velious bosses take a long time to kill, and most guilds use a defensive warrior rotation on things like Avatar of War and Vulak. It takes 5 warriors to have a sustainable defensive rotation without gaps between cooldowns. Certainly the events can be done with less, but only having 1 or 2 warriors would be riskier. Same with Luclin bosses. Ton of HP, long fights, defensive rotations for things like Emperor and Vex Thal bosses. And the need for lots of tanks/healers to defeat Rathe Council in PoP is well documented.

As for Omens+ content, you'll want at least 3 tanks to handle the Jelvan event in Anguish. Easier if you have more like 6 tanks so some can rampage tank, but can get by with non-tank classes doing that. The rest of the zone can pretty much be done with one main tank and one rampage tank if your heal team is on point and people don't screw up OMM emotes. DoN raids are easy, maybe want two tanks for Vishimtar in case one gets DT countdown emote. Mayong event in DoDh is easiest with a nice pile of tanks, there's several mini-bosses to handle simultaneously. PoR you'll want at least 4 tanks for the first Deathknell event.

TL;DR is not many guilds are operating with just one or two main tanks.
  3. Religious Elder

5 Warriors, and 6 knights can handle pretty much all content given proper support, and you'll likely have some breathing room should things go wrong. I'm quite biased and would say Paladins are the better of the two knight classes, as they stack well while adding SK's to your raid force has diminishing returns, but 3 of each on average would be pretty solid for a raid force. My ideal tank/cleric setup would be something like......

5 Warriors
    4 Paladins
    2 ShadowKnights
    5 Clerics
    Everything else.
  4. TakeMeSeriously Journeyman

4 Paladins

I think we've had 4 over the course of 4 years. 1 at a time.
  5. Nolrog Augur

Warriors and clerics always seem to be in demand for raiding guilds.
  6. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Raid tanks are only as good as their endurance and discs. Having 3+ warriors is critical, unless you like getting to the next boss, and taking a 15 min afk waiting for everything to cycle back up.
    Nolrog likes this.
  7. Raina Elder

Depends how bad your healers are. However, EQ is a game that simply bleeds people. Players go but rarely come, so if you start a warrior now and actually last until omens, you'll be one of the best warriors in whatever guild you are in.
    Punchu and Nolrog like this.
  8. XYZero New Member

Can Paladins generate instant-cast threat like SKs with their Terror line?
  9. Catashe Augur

absolute insta threat like the terror line? No, their stuns can help them hold agro, along with their group heals to heal pull agro.. Paladins do later expansions get AAs to help pull snap agro but personally nothing to me seems to have the snap agro of the terror line
  10. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

I’m biased the other way, but you’re not wrong.

For grouping that totally 180’s, though.
  11. Machentoo Augur

Especially in later expansions it certainly seemed to me that paladins had an edge in snap aggro. I don't think I've ever seen someone grab aggro faster than Religious, during his time in Citizen. Very few knights play at that level but it seemed when we had a great paladin head to head with a great SK, the paladin had an edge. At least post TSS. I don't recall OOW-->PoR as well.
  12. Gremin Augur

We have 7 raid geaed warriors but due to real life etc we usually only have 6 show up.