Is it time to make Skyfire suck a little less?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Bumkus, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Brohg Augur

I'm playing roughly the same number of hours in Skyfire as I'm playing in https://everquest.fanra.info/wiki/Alphabetical_list_of_zones

The only zone on the list to get "regular" hours from me (1-2ish per week since I supply my guild for raiding) is my tribute farm zone.

The couple times I stir from the guild hall, I pursue some incomplete goal (atm, the list is down to Hunters in Gorowyn & HS). Having fully and deeply plundered Skyfire, is there some reason it should have very special continuing attention from me compared to those hundred-some others where I've also completed & collected everything?
  2. Cicelee Augur

This kind of makes no sense.

Once you do mercenary, partisan, hunter, collections, and get all the augments/gear you want from the zone... what is the point of going back to the zone? Outside of helping other people, of course.

Most players tend to leave a zone once they are done with what they have to get out of it. I suppose some players will go back to a zone for a lesson burn if they feel comfortable in the zone... but many zones in the game qualify for that. Skyfire could be one of those zones too for some players.

I get it. You don't like Skyfire because of drakes and drunkenness mobs. That is fine. Devs did something different. Some people like it. Some don't. Nobody is right or wrong on this.
  3. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Yeah because in all the history of eq we haven't seen a lot of players stick to T1 zones. Duh.
  4. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

When you are raid geared there is far less you need or want to get from the zone then other players and yes people just like to exp grind in T1 zones.

The funny part is how you all like to stretch things to fit your view. *shrugs* Have at it I guess.
  5. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

So you spend little or no time in Skyfire yet fight to keep it the way you want it. Sort of figured that. Sounds like you are done with the zone so why do you feel you have an oar in the water on this? Others must go through what you went through?
  6. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

It's really funny how several people here who have gone through Skyfire, don't spend a lot of time playing in T1 zones anymore have so much to say about a T1 zone. They had their "interesting mechanics" for the first month of the expansion and have no reason to go back but will defend with their last breath keeping the "interesting mechanics". Sad. Very sad.

I don't get all of you who don't play in T1 zones much or even realize that there is a fair amount of the population who prefers what is generally the more relaxed zones of an expansion.

Have it your way the game sunsets sooner and you can all beat your chests and regale how you out argued the more casual players who make up a large portion of the population that keeps the game going.
  7. Cicelee Augur

Others should go through how the developers intended it to be. As in, drakes and intoxication on a couple mobs.

PS- this is not a raider vs casual thing, seeing as how some raiders hate the zone and some casuals love it. If you do not like the zone, then don't be in it. There are hundreds and hundreds of other zones for you to play in. Leave this one semi unique zone alone, however, for those who do enjoy it...
  8. Brohg Augur

They should get to enjoy what I enjoyed, sure. I think it would be selfish and quite condescending of me to say something that was just a bit of engaging zone flavor for me is beyond the grasp of those that mostly just grind. That'd be the only reasonable justification for nerfing - if the mechanic made the content inaccessible. It definitely doesn't.

You've said over & over again that those who want the chillax version of stomping low con mobs for moderate exp have that, elsewhere. Why should they not have the option of adventuring in a slightly (seriously, slightly.) more interesting setting when they want to?
  9. Drogba Augur

If you wish to talk about history, there have been expansions that have only had a single zone that was easier than all the others. In this expansion we have 2.
  10. TheStugots Augur

Okay, I’ll be the one to say what almost everyone wants to say...suck it up and deal with it. It doesn’t need to be changed.

It may suck, sure. Does it need to be changed, no.

Quit looking for stuff to complain about. Just play the game and be happy we all still have a game to play.
  11. Bigstomp Augur

I don't see the zone as difficult to get progression done in. (yes, you may need a friend or two).
    As for regularly hunting in the zone, I spend some time in it now and then to pick at a named when I'm feeling a wake/hunterish. If I'm feeling more mindless grind I don't go there, there are plenty other zones for me to mindlessly grind in.
  12. Thraine Augur

Mr Meeseeks aint supposed to live this long, things are getting weird! lol
    fransisco likes this.
  13. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Your failures are your own, old man! <3
    Thraine likes this.
  14. Thraine Augur

one must try, in order to fail haha
  15. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

No its about the fact that some like to play primarily in T1 zones and so sucky mechanics become very irritating. And it is interesting in what you say "others should go through" most if not all of you arguing for keeping the mechanics are done with the zones. *sighs*.
  16. Brohg Augur

Your version would be "others should wallow in"? what are you looking for here?
  17. Tegila Augur

All I can say is, those talking about spending however many hours to find the 1 or 2 possible safe campsites, aren't thinking about the reason people are going there and discovering the headaches: quests, and getting to other zones.

I went here last night, for the second time. The first time I have up after idk how many wipes and no kills. I went here for a quest, a simple kill this mob and this mob and this mob. Ok so where are these mobs I asked my ranger. Oh there's 1 there and 3 up there. Oh and those are there and there, and yadda yadda.. For a quest you can't just find the 1 or 2 only possible safe spots in the zone and actually accomplish anything, you have to do things all over. So at one point I think yay I found a safe spot kinda up the wall to read and rebuff. I start doing so, and the burning searching of death shows up while toons are sitting to med, or in the middle ofzoning and incapable of moving etc etc, I watch more closely for said spotlight which has already wiped my group several times just going on corpseruns or truing to travel around the SIs, and I move before they go off... But oh nope, you gotta per. Better make sure campfires set cause when you come back you will be hovering
    Ok now the spotlight has passed me by I can do a pull of this one last mob i must kill here, and I pull. Then I'm getting installed by something I've not seen anywhere near this spot in the almost hour I've been there. A golden decided to climb up the ledge being me
    Seriously, what is up with these mechanics. The spotlight would be more cool if it didn't mean interest.

How about for screwed up, you look at howling stones, another place I went last night for a quest, only this time I needed to kill nothing. However, I wiped I have no idea how many times, before I could accomplish said task (which was 1 update) and move on to ST for the rest of the quest. Toucan leave the freaking zone in! Ok bring a group and kill the Holmes, but make sure said group also has ability to double in his or you're not getting to ST. Ok try jumping over the side to get down below (not the way to ST, but hard to tell on map) and oh 3 lived, 1 splat. Gee that's the 3rd splat in the past week, the other 2 splat (You have fallen to your death) were in zones I NEVER splatter in before...somethings changed here methinks... so I see a friend in zone and ask him..sooo..how is one supposed to get to ST? Oh, he says, Every one I know just has a mage camped at the zoneline. Well how did they get said mage to zoneline? Well rogue SOS of course. Sooo... unless you box a rig and mage, or are buddies with someone that does...you don't go to authors? Yup, pretty much, he says. What the blank kinda mechanic is that? You could bring a group to kill 2 files, then have the right toons to double in his, but that doesn't work all the way anyway. You could do as I ended up doing after checking the route with my baby rogue, and train through with DA on and hope you make all the corners before your train catches you towards the end (that took a couple attempts itself) you know you can't redobleinvis yourself if you have to FD so no point in trying that method unless you wanna mercs passive, run FD, mercs active, heal, mercs passive, run, FD, rinse and repeat 6 or 8 times til you get there, waiting however long til aggro drops each tome. Now that's a f2f class, what about the rest? It not like planar overdose is instavadt. No, just bring a rogue with rez tokens and drag 2 or bodies at a time til everyone's where you want. And don't forget for future use you should make a mage just to drag it's corpse there to coth you each time. Sillysilly design.

On that note, man was I annoyed when I found that the 5th create a task resulted in a req 110 ear and the previous was 106, not that there was enough improvement to warrant that. I expected the final one from VP to be 110, of course, but not this one though I'm sure I could be woouldve should be double checked first. I think if you're bound and determined to do it and you DO, you should be able to wear the stupid thing at the level you did it at, but I'm sure someone will fond some kinda loophole to get it for their alts at like 50 or something stupid, but why not just leave it at 106 til the end. If I, with no help from anyone but myself, completed the 5 tasks by the time I was barely 107, I should be able to make use of it. It wouldn't be gamebreaking, the 200hp difference from 4 to 5 is certainly going to make me a raid tank again in my group gear with my big fat RoF max aas and my enormous 800hdex. Really.

Rant off, that's after sleeping on it lol, last night I was a lot more miffed, but what I came here to say is that 1: I didn't even realize there was a drunk effect on the vamps, yay AT I guess; 2. Though some of you might have inadvertently found safe points that aren't just the zonein...not everyone can either find them in a reasonable time to do a handful of kills for such and such quest, or USE them because the quest requires things not in your lockbox of safe joy. Yes,this is a t1 zone, yes I actually think the mechanics are cool...but not for t1, it should be VP like this, where no one is safe and you shouldn't box bc Someone has to keep watch while you pee, and there are cool mechanics. I think the spotlight of doom is cool, but not here. Or this zone should've not been one of the 2 t1s. He'll, I've found the mobs in OR to hit harder than RoF raidmobs, which I know is oldish but til RoS came out it was still only 5 levels below. People don't 1grp raid mobs 5 or even 10 levels below them, or it never was the case, but now the group mobs due to gearflation and these huge aas(which in themselves are silly..hey let's make was cost like 80 a rank!, oh but then ppl can't catch up ever, ok then let's make the xp an aa a kill!,....what was the point again? If didn't raise costs to ridiculous levels, wouldn't have had to raise the xp per mob to ridiculous levels, and probably wouldn't have to have raised the stored cap so high...though that's nice for other reasons). Oh, and dont forget o make heroics in astronomical amounts and then tune the expansions areound ppl having 1500+ in their primary heroic statto kill comfortably. Wasted dev time.

I left the game as one of those ok I'm done levelling..that day, ok I'm done asking and progressing a week or 2 later...but then doing other things like achievements,Tradeskills, Aug farming etc, helping others through it, or just plain raiding. I come back and I am wearing the equivalent of elegant defiant gear or 80, in my voa/rof raid gear/maxaa of my previous era in the current whatnot. What a shock that is, I mean if there had been l eveo increases as often as in the past it wouldn't have surprised so much, but they JUST did the 2nd level increase in 5 years, 6 months ago, so for 4 of those years I was either still max level or within 5, and my lol 95 and 100 raid gear and max aas in today's game put me at.. defiant level usefulness pretty much. So at 106 I go make conflagrant, first I made the 101 cultural...which now makes my cultural patterns irrelevant..why idk,... But that really wasn't worth bothering with so I didn't even pit it on. I put on conflagrant at 106 and bam, barely need the mercs, where before on a named I was using 2 and my druid and every disc for tanking and dps I could find...this was in cotf mind you, at 106 enormous difference. Ok then I go try 1 kill in RoS, cause you know, conflagrant is t1.5 RoS, and RoS is 106-110..and I'm in full conflagrant and now 106...nope. full discs, 2 mercs and druid, die on trash at least 50% of the time. What? Ok well slot 5s, I see someone in guild (casual group guild these days) say hey I just hit 3k sex! I'm like ummm. What? So I go find the basic slot 5s at least and in a couple days they're full and I go back, now its only about 40% death rate in OT all others factors equal. I go kill in eok..
    Hey that's not bad at all...why the enormous jump in rod?

Idk, as a returning former raid tank and raidleader, always rushing to end of group stuff at launch etc, the differences are unbelievable, and all the various things you now have to consider...and now others that don't matter whatsoever...not to mention 2 hours just fixing ONE of my old hotkeys bc of the aa revamp. He'll I STILL don't know why one of them was popping a vet aa instead of in his. Why change the I'd numbers, that seems like pointless timewasting in the database. I am one of what I'm finding MANY ppl returning from the same era, voa/rod in the last few months. A lot don't seem to stick around. If there's that much interest in returning to the game, maybe make it a bit more welcoming like..oh hey so we completely changed this etc etc yadda yadda and your ac and attack and aas oh and dont log out or you'll lose thousands you earned years ago, but dont s0endem either! Go level and most will be free anyway and you'll wish you could rebut others that now you can't afford. My god this game is a mess, let's not even get into items ppl are in essence selling for 60 to 500 bucks across servers, let's not even go there.
  18. Herf Augur

Yep and that problem has been around to the start. Most of the time EQ behaves like a 2D or 2 1/2D game. A mob 100 feet down can walk up and hit you if you're on the edge of a cliff or platform.
  19. bootman New Member

Well its easy for a third party program user that ya toons just follow ya round easily /shrugs WTG
  20. Ironnuts Journeyman

That was real Beaut.