Shadowknight Tanking issues....

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Ravaging, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Ravaging New Member

So here i am. 105 SK. buffed up to over 175k hp. For the life of me I cannot tank EoK T2... Went all AGI stat augs. Stamina stat augs. DEX stat augs. I have a mix of EoK T1 and TBM gear. Almost maxed out cleric merc AND box cleric WITH ENC slows. Someone tell me what im doing wrong...

Im popping my disciplines. Using my spells the way i feel like they should be used. but i definitely go splat a little faster then i think i should be. ANY insight on how a SK should be played or maybe an order for spells would be appreciated.
  2. sojero One hit wonder

3. Brohg Augur

Say hay-lo to mah little friend!

49984 Sarnak Finesse 0s 0s 6s+ n/a Self 1: Increase Chance to Riposte by 10000%
    Thunderkiks likes this.
  4. Skalde Elder

Got a magelo or raidloot profile by chance? Using 1h/shield? I'd recommend going heavily HDex for group content imo and also cycle your taps/dicho accordingly and spam the hell out of terrors for the little buffs/heals as well. And what does your AA/skill spamming order look like?
  5. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Honestly with our casting chain and high delay weapons it shouldn’t be an immediate killer, especially relative to dual wielding types.
  6. Sindace Elder

Try to keep Mortal Coil, Epic 2.0, or CoA BP click up to self heal while tanking. Usually with the short cooldowns on epic/coa bp, can usually keep one of them up at most times. Also, I'll start a pull with the challenge line of agro for a ~2 minute AC boost. Helps. I try to have a plan ahead of time for which self-heal (MC/epic/CoA bp) I'll use if i get a certain number of mobs, and which discs to pop simultaneously to pull my back out of the fire if I get too many. Second spire and Visage of Death pair very well together for example. I try to mostly use dicho tap and save Leech Touch for as needed.
  7. Flatchy Court Jester

How many AA do you have?
  8. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

You need to strategically use shield flash, epic 2.0, etc to manage the initial damage before slow and CC can manage what you pulled.
  9. Repthor Augur

Abc allways be casting is one of the biggest things i see most new tanks failing at and ppl seem to think tanking is this magical thing that just happens with no effort.

This is true for all tanks but more so for sks and paladins as part of their life line is to respond to dmg with counter healing
    Gyurika Godofwar and Thunderkiks like this.
  10. Mortium Elder

My own experience tanking with SK as been a great one. I'm now raid geared so my experience may vary to yours.

You can't tank eok with a 2h for sure. Make sure you sword and board if you are tanking.
    Make sure you have all the usual SK buffs up. They make a real difference. I went through the hardest time tanking ROS until I realised the new AA didn't include Tylixs Skin. Once I realised that, it was a monumental change in tanking.
    Staunch stance is your friend, so is Repel. Use them always.

Other than that, I use discs for tanking. Shield flash is lovely for those frequent multi pulls. Deflection can be good on massive pulls or tough bosses. Usually I hit epic when this is about to end so I have a few moments to heal through putting up my next defensive disc or shield flash.

Make a spam key. This will have your life taps bound to it. When tanking two or fewer mobs you may not need to use it so much. Any more than two and I tend to spam it just in case.

Hope these tips work.
  11. Brohg Augur

Two or fewer is the right time to spam the lifetap multi. More than two is when you page over to the OTHER multi, the one with Insidious Denial at the top of it :)
    Mortium, Thunderkiks and Dreadmore like this.
  12. Dreadmore Augur

There are times when SHDs tank two or fewer??? o_O
    Thunderkiks likes this.
  13. Leigo You come here often?

It's rare.. but it happens

I have a tap key that casts 3 taps And bite. Might want to try that. Pull with terror and challenge then hit that tap key, the self healing at the start helps the rest of the team get their stuff out. Plus if you're boxing the tap macro let's your sk go on auto pilot for just long enough to tab over and back.
  14. Dreadmore Augur

I keep Terror bound on that key for chances at Cascading Theft of Defense. I also keep Spear at the beginning of that multibind for chances at Cascading Theft of Life.

Heck, while I'm at it, why not share my whole multibind. My hotbar looks like this:

Banestrike AA > Spurn discipline > Pet attack > Bite AA > Wounding Blade discipline > Spear spell > Terror spell > Bite spell > Dire tap spell > Touch tap spell > Necromantic Dragon Bone item

I trigger dichotomic, shield flash, and the other tanking disciplines manually and situationally.
  15. Syylke_EMarr Augur

My multibind is just lifetaps:
    Dire Testimony, Touch of T'Vem, Touch of Lutzen, Touch of Falsin, Dicho, Hemofax

It lets me lifetap nonstop when necessary
  16. Leigo You come here often?

lol, good stuff.. Here ya go:
    Spam1 - line1 /attack on - line2: Spurn - line3 Terror - line4 disarm - line 5 /timer 155 - this key is also bound to pet attack and swarm on another bar off screen
    Spam2 - line1 banestrike - line2 Wounding blade - line 3 Bite of Chaos - line5 timer 600
    Spam3 - line1 Touch of t'vem - line2 touch of Lutzen - line 3 Dire Testimony - line4 Spear of tylix - line5 /time 50, Xalgoz's Bite
  17. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Using macros (Socials) in combat is generally not the best idea. Instead, all of the abilities you are firing off should be on a multibind instead.

Macros are difficult to interrupt when you need to react quickly, and tanks need to react quicker than anybody. Multibinds are faster and more efficient, and never lock you into anything.

When your situation changes, and you need to fire something that is out of your normal rotation, you simply stop pressing your multibind and activate the more appropriate ability instead. If you are using macros, you pretty much need to wait for it to finish firing all the abilities, even if you don't want to. Yes, sometimes you can interrupt macros, but that takes way too long and the results will vary depending on your situation/macro/lag.

I use macros for buffing and other out-of-combat tasks. And you could potentially get lazy and use them for casting dots with your DPS boxes (dots that have a short cooldown and don't work well with multibinds). But using them on your tank is like tying a string to the steering wheel, putting a brick on the accelerator, and hoping for the best.
    Issk likes this.
  18. Leigo You come here often?

i have a stop action key.. anytime i need to stop using a macro to do something else i just hit that and go right into the next. Plus I box so macroing my keys as such lets me auto-tank while i tab to the other 2.

My first 2 spam keys have almost no delay so that's 1-2 use time max, since none of the items in those keys have any casting time and rotate with everything else. the 3rd key is the only one that takes time, but allows me to tab as needed. I also have a faster macro that only uses 2 taps.
  19. fransisco Augur

what is the command to stop a macro?
  20. Leigo You come here often?

Options > Keys > Commands - Stop Action -- (mine is X, but that's the key I chose. IDK if there's a default one.)
    fransisco and Dreadmore like this.