over 6 years of Useless AAs?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Poyzen Frawg, May 5, 2018.

1. Poyzen Frawg Augur

Developers please chime in on this one. Explain Innate Eminence.

What exactly does it do? If the answer is "Nothing", and I suspect it is, then why?
  2. Zhaunil_AB Augur

???
    It should be increasing the "white" number behind your stats on the "stats" tab in your inventory?
    In effect (since the base stats are easily overcapped by even mediocre gear) raise each stat by 2 per level?

Or are you suggesting there's a bug involved and it doesn't do as described?
  3. svann Augur

I dont think it does that Z. It doesnt say it increases your base cap, it says it increases your base stat. So if base stat is already over cap it would do nothing. But its not the only aa that is worthless.
  4. Poyzen Frawg Augur

Only a developer who can look into the code and intent can answer this question. This AA line has received upgrades all the way through RoS and they have all had the same effect ... NOTHING. because, unless you are naked (and you never will be unless you do it on purpose) you wont see the change.
  5. Cicelee Augur

I would guess if your gear is so utterly poor that maybe, just maybe, this AA would help. Or if you encounter a mob that, say, places a debuff on you that lowers your base stats by 500 then this AA could be slightly useful.

As it stands, however, it is not the most useless AA. My nomination goes to endurance regeneration, 44 ranks of it, for... magicians. Because reasons.
    Axxius, IblisTheMage and Yinla like this.
  6. Poyzen Frawg Augur

Good point indeed.
  7. Nennius Curmudgeon

8. Brohg Augur

It continues to increase because there's no development cost. Which is fine. There are others like it for every class, just permanent versions of Glyph AA-sinks
    fransisco and IblisTheMage like this.
  9. Zalamyr Augur

Gotta smash that jump button yo
  10. IblisTheMage Augur

It is for when you decide to dual-class. Mage/Monk is going to be the rave next year.
    Fanra likes this.
  11. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I think It was supposed to be a "filler-AA" or something.

I always thought the idea behind "filler-AA" was weird, as they won't really motivate anyone to work on their AAs.
    I suspect the devs have some sort of meaningless AA-"quota", and lack the imagination to make that many good AA's.

Or maybe they were supposed to to work as a cap-increaser as zhaunil suggested(and just got mixed up with the stat-increaser?), that would certainly make more sense... :)

Do the resist AAs have a value in modern Exapansions btw? Not sure how much corruption-resist matter? and many other spells seems to be unresistable?
  12. Shadows Journeyman

It was 35 AAs to buy one rank of this. I had read its description, which sounded rather questionable, but given its cost and its association with Empires of Kunark, I thought that perhaps it would actually do --something--.... but, nope! There goes 35 AAs I'll never see again.
  13. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

It's useful for the Uqua raid zone wide debuff.
  14. Beggly Augur

The general problem with all AA's is that it's a system tacked onto the game after creation to give people something to work on. Most AA's give minor increments of increase for usually high cost and, in a game younger than EQ is, were actually rather hard to attain. With the game as it stands now, AA's are not only easy to attain, they mean less and less as equipment improves.

What I'd like to see is them scrap and rework the whole thing. I'd also like to see them wrap the Disciplines into the new system, scrapping that as well.

Yes, there are some really useful AA's and Discs, but when you come down to it, they are just another thing to try to keep track of. The simplification of the AA system that has been going on for years is a good example of why this system needs some serious work. There are over 100 AA's that players must contemplate each time their character goes up a level. Some must be activated, some are innate, and some are just plain confusing. If you have to buy a lot of AA at one time (for whatever reason, but making a heroic character is a good example of this), you are going to be working on it for quite some time, going over each AA to see if it is something that needs an activation hotkey or not. The problem then becomes, where to put the hotkey? Does it need to be something you use frequently, and thus easily available, or does it need to be hidden until the time comes for using it? In most cases, and for most classes, the answer is dependent on your play style.

What happens is, you spend an inordinate time dealing with a complex system of abilities, many of which are of limited utility, and all of which must be reviewed every time you go up a level. I consider this a bit wonky and do wish they would greatly simplify the system, at least make abilities more sortable in the AA window. Being able to sort for activated or not activated at the very least would be useful.

Having a signal that Discs are part of a line would be nice as well. There are Discs which must be updated because they are lower iterations of lines. Being sure what line a Disc is in, and whether it has any utility if you have a newer version would be nice. Maybe color coding? The naming conventions have been such that they are not always obvious. Options that are internally logical, wording that is not ambiguous, abilities that seem to do mostly what another ability does, these things should be explored and corrections optioned. Timing options should also be more consistent. Again, color coding might be an option here.

Why must we have a hyper-complex system when a simplification would be more desirable?
  15. Aurastrider Augur

You can already do this via the drop down box.
  16. segap Augur

Much of this simplification has followed no logic and just made things more confusing. You now have AA which are activated at one rank and innate at another. You have things combined that have no logical reason to be combined. It's also caused a mess with people logging in and seeing a bunch of broken buttons.
    Yinla likes this.
  17. fransisco Augur

I think its impossible from a business standpoint to throw out the AA system and change it. So many players have spent large amounts of time getting those AAs. To just throw that away is a poor business decision.
  18. hellohello123 Lorekeeper

My eminence is only imminent.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.