How Many Years Does it Take to Fix a Broken Spell?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Brontus, May 2, 2018.

1. Brontus EQ Player Activist

I would like to ask the DBG devs a serious question: How many years does it take to fix a broken spell?

Spell: Form of the Great Wolf is completely broken and effectively useless. It's ultravision, attack and run speed components are not functioning at all. The only thing that is working is the wolf illusion. As an aside, the group version of Form of the Great Wolf which is not bugged and provides all of the advertised benefits.

This bug was entered in the official DGB bug tracker in January of 2016. It has been noted in the bug conversation that the spell has probably been broken since sometime in 2015.

https://dgcissuetracker.com/browse/EQ-676

I have been playing MMOs since 1999 when EverQuest debuted and took the video game world by storm. I've always loved druids. I came back last year and created a druid on Agnarr and I also have one on Coirnav. When I reached level 40 with my druid I was excited to purchase the Form of the Great Wolf. Sadly, I learned the hard way that this spell was broken when I tried to fun away from Seafury Cyclops in Ocean of Tears zone and promptly died because the run speed attribute of the spell was not working.

Wolf form is a class defining ability for druids. While fixing this spell may not be a big deal for live servers, it's very important for druids on progression servers.

For over 2 years, this spell bug still remains unresolved and an open and bug on the DGB bug tracker. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that a serious bug like this is fixed within that generous time frame. I know the devs are very busy and I appreciate all they do to keep EverQuest running. I am just wondering when druids can expect this spell to be finally fixed? Thank you for your consideration on this matter.
  2. Cicelee Augur

It should be fixed by the year 2031. I am 95% confident in this.
    A_New_Cleric likes this.
  3. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

eqgamer likes this.
  4. High Voltage Augur

If it's known since January 2016, while now we have May 2018 - my guess is it takes at least 29 month.
  5. Bigstomp Augur

So cast the group version. It lands on yourself as well.
  6. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Unfortunately, the group version only becomes available in the Planes of Power expansion. That doesn't help my level 40 druid on Coirnav which is still at the original EverQuest in terms of progression :(
  7. Tiggold Augur

Everything you've stated sounds exactly what the TLP people are looking for, Old School EQ. Are we having fun yet? :)
    Azbaelus and Feznik like this.
  8. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

I know for sure hostile posts on the Internet makes devs work harder on your personal issues.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Viper1 like this.
  9. A_New_Cleric Journeyman

I don't see the OPs post as hostile in any way, more frustration.

I mean, they still haven't fixed mobs in FoB that can fall through the world and hit you when you are FOUR LEVELS UP in a building. That's been going on since around 2002 or so (I started playing EQ when Kunark was first released).

OP, don't keep your fingers crossed for anything to get fixed.
    Brontus likes this.
  10. mackal Augur

Random guess: it was broken during the development of the illusion key ring (it is on Lycanthropic Staff) and was never fixed. (spell file has the "bugged" stats removed since TBM release)
    Brontus likes this.
  11. fransisco Augur

The issue tracking doesn't seem to matter much. About the only way to actually get movement on a bug is to post it in a patch bugs thread and hope a dev notices/replies.
    Bobbybick and Brontus like this.
  12. Cloudia Augur

Hunh! a bug that only affects druids? fergedaboudit!
    Now if you want it fixed in a flash start a campaign to have necroes gain the same spell under a slightly different name. Once it is reported that the spell is not working correctly a flurry of action will take place.

From release druids got a nifty root/nuke, the spell would root the mob then immediately cast a small nuke breaking the root 99% of the time. The cause of this being that the root was cast first, then the nuke went off with it's check for root break.
    This was a known issue and persisted right up until the necroes got a root spell with a nuke component that did the same thing. Suddenly POOF the druid root spell was fixed. This took a few expansions to occur so don't hold your breath unless you are an Inky.
    Ninelder and Fanra like this.
  13. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Thank for the tip. I hope this isn't the case because there are a lot of unresolved bugs in existance on the official bug tracker that need to be addressed. FYI, I posted this bug on the patch bugs thread about a week ago with the hope that one of the devs would see it. I was hoping for a response from one of the devs but there hasn't been any yet which is why I posted it here.

I haven't played EverQuest for 14 years, so I'm still not sure what the current DGB dev philosophy on how bugs are fixed and why some are prioritized over others is.

Since September of 2017 I have been using the /bug command to submit scores of bugs. When I went to the official bug tracker I didn't see any of them there. So I'm not even sure if the /bug command works. Now I just use the DBG bug tracker to submit bugs. As a player I am doing my part.

Thanks to everyone for their insightful responses on this issue. I hope someone at DGB will take a look at this bug.
    A_New_Cleric likes this.
  14. Imak Augur

Unfortunately, I can't even verify it, personally, any longer on live. I have AA's that provide the runspeed benefits of most wolf illusion spells. Form of the Hunter (60 Kunark) is the only one that actually increases my runspeed anymore, and it still does so.
  15. fransisco Augur

So much of the issue tracker isn't real bugs, its either:
    1. players doing something wrong and not getting the expected result
    2. perceived balance issues that may/may not be real

Even in concept it was a flawed idea at best. Its really there to give players the feeling of doing something.
  16. Ninelder Augur

I swear, truer words were never said on these boards. LOL, This is, in a nutshell, the perfect summary of how the druid class is developed.

But its not just necros, its any class. And the most often response is to fix the class that received the broken druid ability then of course forget to fix the druid one for 2 or 3 years, if ever.
  17. High Voltage Augur

I have to admit that druids rarely complain in these forums. So I think we should keep this one going for your poorly performing, underdeveloped class.
  18. Aurastrider Augur

To answer the question more scientifically I believe the formula is (Spell level) + (Year in which bug was discovered) x 2 which should give you your results in years. Now you of course need to round up to the nearest 10th year.

I vote they fix this when they give players on live a way to get through old school locked doors without having to lug around a box rogue or bard. I also imagine the formula for this happening looks similar to the one above but rounded up to the nearest 100th year.
  19. Beggly Augur

Not a viable solution to the bug, as it does not address fixing the bug. It's a work-around, not a solution. I agree with the first poster, this should be fixed.
  20. Bigstomp Augur

I was trying to offer advice to help.
    It's the veterans lounge. I assumed incorrectly that all the TLP people would be in their own forum.