Bazaar is bad for the game

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Oldveteran, Apr 30, 2018.

1. svann Augur

Yea, its just awful that you cant sell your overpriced items because people can easily look it up and find out what the going price really is. Bazaar is evil! (s)
    Chatoyan and Hateseeker like this.
  2. Hateseeker Augur

On Rallos back in the day, some Darkenbane guys figured out you could levitate traders and push them into the arena. It was a PvP server, that was genious, and definitely the bazaar designer's fault, not their fault, they should never have been banned for it.
  3. Barton The Mischievous

No thanks I like the Baz
  4. malaki Augur

Without the Bazaar those cheap 100 plat items and random tradeskill mats would be a much bigger hassle.
  5. Chatoyan Elder

This really sums it up, for me, especially now that you can do bazaar searches from anywhere (even if you can't buy remotely). It's so much easier to get a feel for what the going price is for things, if you're not in a real hurry to buy. It's also easier to sell a bunch of cheap stuff for a little bit more than a vendor will give (like low level gear, or tradeskill supplies).

I don't keep track of earnings but, since PoP, I've probably made more plat selling pet toys at 10p each than I have selling higher end stuff (with the possible exclusion of runes early in OOW). Would I bother sitting in PoK or the lobby for hours, selling summoned toys for donation? No. But I'm happy to stock my trader with them, make a few hundred extra plat per day, and help other players out in the process.
    svann likes this.
  6. Fepyy Lorekeeper

yeah why talk and interact with people, why get excited over getting an item you see when you can just go to the automated bazaar later. "thinking"
  7. HoodenShuklak Augur

Ec added a large human element to the game that is totally removed worth the bazaar. Obviously there are pros and cons but at the end of the day ec tunnel puts the pg in mmorpg... or something like that.
  8. Finnster Elder

standing in EC tunnels spamming /auction (oh please also take away channels, they ruin the game!!!) for hours and listening to others spamming /auction and being required to travel to EC tunnels everytime I want to buy or sell something is the best experience I have.... not.

If you want to pay 10 bucks a month for a game that allows you to stand in the same spot spamming channels, then I'm sure I can get you that.
    Geroblue and Chatoyan like this.
  9. HoodenShuklak Augur

EQ is based around hours doing essentially nothing. If you want to accomplish something, you don't even log into EQ in the first place.

Moved to resolved.
  10. Nolrog Augur

When I was young, we had to farm our own items, in the snow, up hill, both ways and even though we got a pair of boots, we had no shoes, and we were thankful.
    Frogmancer, Geroblue and Chatoyan like this.
  11. Poledo_EQ Elder

This was one of the biggest culture shocks in EQ for me back in 2000. I was on Rallos from 99 to early 2000 and you just didn't carry cash on you anywhere unless you wanted to lose it. So while EC was stll used, a lot of trade just went on the bank zone in FP where you needed to meet. I remember at one point, even then someone had found a glitch where you could stand on a wall near the bank and nuke players where the guards couldn't get to you.

Then I moved to Brell (blue) in 2000 and the trading going on in EC was 100 times that of Rallos. It was weird, not being scared to get nuked to death carrying a few k in plat.

Good times. I don't miss EQ pvp.
  12. slayerofbats Augur

The trading channel in this game is called auction, yet nobody ever auctions... The only game to do this right was Shards of Dalaya which worked exactly like an auction. The channel was global, and people would advertise their wares in the auction channel, and people would reply with their bid. Sale went to the highest bidder, like a real auction, and then you just mail them the item. It was the best.

The only downside is that your auction was only seen by people online at that time, so it was best to wait until busy times. And even then, you may find out the next day that someone who wasn't online really wanted that item and would have paid more. But the upside is that it is a system that works well, people get good prices, and it is so fast! You could do WTS Whatever, and it would be sold in under 2 minutes.
  13. Hateseeker Augur

Only viable for high value items. What if I want to retain every item I loot that might have tradeskill or other value later? Shouldn't people be able to buy those things without the seller having to play the game as a typing simulator? Mavis Beacon's Auction Typing and Inventory - teaches you to update your inventory info as you sell 5 of the 30 iron ores you are selling.

The biggest problem is that the people at Pantheon are likely going to avoid the bazaar function as a means to force every last drop of social interaction in that game. That kind of thing will be their downfall. Yes, yes, inb4 "Pantheon will never launch". OK fine, IF it launches, that kind of thing will be a huge problem.
  14. Nuther Augur

Looking up the going price on line ruins the Tunnel for me. There's no way to buy low and sell high. So, if you cant make a profit, you might as well not bother going there.
  15. slayerofbats Augur

What I'm talking about requires barely any typing... And there is already the barter thing for buying junk. The game coped just fine before the auction house showed up. You could just say "WTS tradeskill items" and people could ask for a list. This game has far too many tradeskill items. Not sure what Pantheon has to do with this thread?
  16. Aurastrider Augur

No thank you. Seriously one of the worse ideas ever. This game has enough time sinks. If you want to spend all your time playing EQEconomics spam away. For those of us that want to make a little coin as a result of playing instead of playing to make coin leave the bazaar in place. It could be improved but removed is just silly.
    Geroblue likes this.
  17. Febb Augur

Having to sit in a zone and haggle to sell items is just bad design. At least with bazaar now you can put a bazaar trader on another account, take the trader offline to sell your items while you play on your other account.
    Geroblue likes this.
  18. Accipiter Old Timer

Terrible idea.

You auction, "WTS blahblah 500p"
    Soandso tells you, "I'll buy blahblah"
    You tell Soandso, "OK, at Shady"
    <trade happens>
    You tell Soandso, "Thanks"
    Soandso tells you "ty"

That's social interaction? That's how 99% of the interaction goes.
    Adrienna, Chatoyan and code-zero like this.
  19. Accipiter Old Timer

Or sleep... Or go to work.
  20. Hateseeker Augur

So an automated buyer is OK but an automated seller is too much?

You tell auction, WTS 20 item A 5pp each, 2 item b 100pp each, 12 item C 24pp each, 1 Good Sword 5000pp, 1 medium quality BP 400pp...ah man I'm already tired of typing this list. Just imagine that I've got 50 other items to sell and they take up 3-4 lines of text, and I've got to do that every 2 minutes, not to mention update it as stuff sells. It's spam. And you can bet that if those 5pp, 24pp, etc items can be sold as vendor trash, I'm just gonna do that, and I'm not the only one.

Pantheon's relevance is that if it launches and does what it says it will, it will be the true EQ successor and will be a viable alternative to the TLP reincarnation rehash cycle. However, the community there speaks out against ANY quality of life features whatsoever. Just about the only thing they wouldn't argue against is having group member health show in the group window. But I'm quite surprised they don't ask for that, because, you know, to make it more social and hardcore, it would be better if you had to ask groupmembers in chat or voice chat what their health and mana status is. Exaggeration? Yes...but not by much.