Would the coding support?

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Rubiota, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Rubiota Journeyman

I had an idea of how to make necro dots useful in the group game again and wanted to float it to see if it would be feasible from a coding standpoint.

Add in an AA (or convert life burn because that has such a great name for how little use it gets) on a 30 second timer which consumes all dots you have running on your target and instantly deals 50%, 65%, 80% of the remaining damage depending on AS rank. To limit the potential power the mana cost of the AA would be high. Maybe 1000mana per dot consumed? Maybe an escalating nonlinear cost as the number of dots increase?

This could help front end load our dps so we can be additive to the group game but at great mana cost which would be greatly prohibitive for long fights so shouldn't affect raiding too much.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  2. IblisTheMage Augur

I am all for new ideas :)

Would this help in a 12 sec fight? In a 20 sec fight?
  3. Brohg Augur

Unsupportable by EverQuest and i n s a n e l y OP!
  4. Cicelee Augur

Since when is 1000 mana considered high /boggle
    fransisco likes this.
  5. Rubiota Journeyman

Why?

Glisteninwing venom, 105 necro spell. 2940 dmg per tick, 7 ticks. So assuming you pop it instantly, before the first tick that's 16464 dmg at 80% effect on the suggested AA. 1862 mana for the spell plus X for the AA, which I suggested 1000 for temporary filler in the first part of the discussion.

Compare to Ethereal skyblaze:
    31743 dmg, 4936 mana 3.75 cast time

Factor in gift of mana, twincast potential and casting time (1 spell for the wizard vs 2 for the necro) and the wizard still leads significantly in terms of dps and efficiency.

I'm thinking in terms of single group fights where the AA would have a short enough time to ve reused often but a high cost if used to pull too many dots at once. So it wouldn't be feasible to stack 8 on there and pop them more than once or maybe twice without needing a serious med break. Maybe the cost increases nonlinear, 1k for the first one popped, 3k total for 2, 6k for 3, 10k for 4... Etc. On top of the cost of casting the dots, this would add up fast.

Of course mechanics would be refined by those smarter than me and all assuming it would even be achievable from a coding standpoint. I think it's reasonable enough to suggest because they can note who cast a beneficial spell on you so I would think it's a reasonable to assume they could do the same thing for dots on a target and only let the AA pop yours.
  6. fransisco Augur

Your ignoring a couple things:
    1. necro dots crit alot more than nukes do
    2. necros have ALOT of AAs to increase their dot damage and crit damage
    3. This would allow necros to be both nukes and dotters
    4. Necros dots turned into nukes would still need to be significantly worse than mages because necros shouldn't suddenly burst better than other casters.

That would require all dots to now be balanced for instant damage and long casting.

Basically a dot revamp...
  7. ShadowMan Augur

This is not a new idea, it was hand presented to a dev a few times probably 7 or 8 years ago now. We were told no based on the idea never mind the coding.

I think a lot of you fail to realize there are no more real balance rules. There are 3 tanks, 3 healers and everyone else is lumped into a flavor of the week dps role with highs and lows coming and going. Zerkers had it nuts for awhile, wizards as well. Druids and shaman more recently along with mages extreme burst and sustained in RoS. Never mind free 47,000 base damage dots for some who also nuke extremely well.
  8. Beergoggles Elder

The coding probably could support it but it still doesn't solve the current problem. You would still need to stack several dots for it to be effective, which doesn't do you much good when in the group game most mobs die very quickly. There is still the issue of the cast time on dots and getting enough on the mob before it is dead to do effective dps. So effectively you still have a dps issue and you create a mana issue on top of it which no one wants.
  9. Rubiota Journeyman

@Francisco 1&2, you're right and given their relative lack of dd benefitting AAs I agree with what you're alluding to that 80% would probably be too low of a % to pull forward. Someone who knows the math I.e. coding would need to figure out exactly what's reasonable.
    #3 yes, thats exactly the point.
    4 i could lay out the math to this too but with the listed example they wouldn't be close to mages either. Though, enchanters have some serious burst and dots so why not?

@beergoggles I agree with the extra mana cost being a problem, I offered that as a cookie to passify the screams of OPness. The change would essentially ve doubling mana cost to pull forward ~68.5% of the total damage of 7tick dots. Of course that's not efficient or effective and there would be easier ways of getting necros back to the group game like unstagnating the few dd lines to make them do reasonable dps. But this was a thought since it would be a new, potentially interesting route
  10. Rubiota Journeyman

Omg pacify not passify... Multitasking while cooking dinner for the kiddos