Should just Merge all live non-ruleset server's.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Kcooler, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Aurastrider Augur

I am not sure how you could even gauge the server population by playing on it? When you consider all the newest TLP servers combined have less overall zones compared to one live server it is impossible to determine this with this method. Not everyone that is 105 is in EOK or even in the high end zones. A lot of people are spread out across a world ten times the size of the newest TLP servers. You combine that with the fact that people are trying to go after the same camps and loot and over crowding becomes an issue. Go log into some of the older TLP servers and tell me how things are working out for them. I will bet there numbers are just as low as the lowest live server if not worse which is where ragefire, lockjaw and phinny will all be in a couple of years. That nostalgia people came back for will be gone once they reach a certain point and people will be waiting for the next TLP server to open so they can play that same content over and over again because most of them "think" modern EQ is lame or boring or what ever else they might think while a lot of them have not played any content from the last decade or longer. Agnarr might be the only TLP server that levels out but that server I am afraid will end up dipping down in numbers and probably throttle around where most live servers are as people will end up with toons fully maxed out with all BIS gear and nothing further to work on. Its a good way to recycle customers but how long with this work for? Do you think people that came back for the nostalgia only to be disappointed will return for the next TLP server? My guess is as they spin up more TLP's the crowds are going to become smaller and smaller unless they do something unique with them like they did with Agnarr but even that will only work up to a certain point.
  2. Wizlard Augur

TS, all due respect, but you don't understand the situation at all if you think this will solve it. You'll just have 100 boxers in every zone. When content is new, the game will be CRAMMED beyond belief, constant drama over camps, dozens of /picks. NO just NO, your opinion is wrong.
  3. Wizlard Augur

Can't believe you wrote this wall of text on this subject.
  4. Gnomereaper Augur

Cross server instancing and serverwide pick zones. That ain't cheap, but it's really necessary for sometimes of the day.
  5. smash Augur

Except it will be a huge amount of issues to solve.
    Like trade between servers suddenly, something DBG not interested in.
    No longer necessary to server transfer, resulting in less income.

All issues mentioned in various earlier subjects about this.

Why should DBG make change that makes them loose money. I would not.
  6. Gnomereaper Augur

World of Warcraft already did it. Basically, they still have sever transfers and other rules sets in place, it just alleviates the population bottle necks. It's helped to alleviate population problems during certain times of the day with specific server populations.

I'll play "arm chair developer" for a moment. Basically, I'll run through in my sensibilities on how a "developer" might approach this.

I want people to subscribe and play "my game" because:

1. I have an ownership mentality and really take pride in my work I do today and did 15 years ago. I want people to enjoy that content, because it makes me feel good when I do a good job.

2. I've taken an affinity to working with the same people and the game for several years I take pride in, and for me to continue to keep the lights on I need to have a consumer base that has access to a player population. To consume content, buy content, and increase the likelihood of continuation of a livelihood I enjoy, people need to play with friends and feel a part of an immersive world.

Sadly, with dwindling populations other sources of revenue and losing players such as European server populations on different servers created bottlenecks for play time. People quit, connecting people to other servers and established player populations allows for friends to play together.

3. There's some really cool things I can think of that we can do in the next expansion! Oh, and we can XYZ with the market place too probably.

4. If we can get more players back and playing we can increase revenue.

5. I'd just really like seeing people enjoy the game for what it is and making friends and having fun. Bringing people together is a part of that fun.

Again those are my "sensibilities" applying basic "mentality" people have towards their own line of work that have logical passion for their own products. Not saying "how people should feel about their" but drawing conclusions on some basics and if I'm wrong someone can correct me on the pure conjecture.

Now the cost benefit analysis isn't so much whether the server transfers wouldn't happen, rather with native servers you would still *have to server transfer* to raid and have native elements of your own server like static zones and so forth. It would be the physical hardware costs relative to the ability to retain, attract, and sell new features.Essentially "creative destructive" at it's finest. You close off the capacity for the "transfer to other servers need" to "let's sell them new features and new interactive content" belies a different mentality that goes hand and glove with a good employee wanting to see their product succeed.

The problem isn't will, but rather implementation costs.It would either take a commitment from Daybreak Games for a large upgrade to their hardware at probably a large cost, or otherwise using alternative funding mechanisms such as Kickstarter.

It's just really expensive which is why it's not been done by now.
  7. smash Augur

It would be way to costly. And do they get anything out of it, except a big hole in their pocket?

I doubt it. I would guess it could cost at least the amount of an expansion.

Sure WOW might have done it, but they also got a much larger player base to pay for it, something EQ does not.

Would you be happy if they went out and said. Sorry no new stuff for the next 2 years. Oh and we cannot guarantee expansion in 2 years time because of no income from expansion next year.
  8. NoWay Augur

With picks
  9. Yimin Augur

With the news of all the layoffs today maybe we will get that merger people have been begging for now for a few years ...

YiMin
  10. Dewey Augur

I do not desire a server merge. Currently I'm on the Drinal server.

The OP is on the /ignore list of most people in general. I image he harasses all the servers. He keeps trying to convince everyone to go to another server. He has made countless alts to talk in general after the original alts are put on everyone's ignore list. I just wish he would play the game instead of making level 1 toons and disrupting the general channels.
  11. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Wouldn't be the end of the world for some mergers of the lowest pop servers with the high pop ones... but I think merging them all together would be way too much. I would also want to see pickzones with lower spawn limits. though.
  12. Tevraii Journeyman

I am not for merging all live servers. I believe it would be far too heavy of a population. However, I would love to see some servers merge. I am on Bertox and I believe a merge with a similar populated server would be really good for the health of the server. I am coming from the perspective of a very active guild, so groups aren't hard to come by. However, I think for raiding it would be great, we could add more active, good players.
    Yimin likes this.
  13. Elyssanda Bardbrain

Way to resurrect a 7 month dead thread man. Some of us don't WANT server merges.
  14. Yimin Augur

Your welcome ! This forum is about issues that people want to happen and mergers is one of them , But thanks for taking the time to respond , guess this 7 month old thread even interested you .......By the way I am not a man :D Yi is female name

Yi Min
  15. Funk Augur

Merging Brekt with FV seems like a no brainer...Please for the love of god make it happen'=)

Obviously a few servers would be untouched with the highest populations. But to merge the dead servers would only make sense with a company trying to make money and stay afloat.
    Yimin and EnchFWO like this.
  16. Warpeace Augur

Wanted about as much as another PvP server:D
    EnchFWO likes this.
  17. EnchFWO Augur

EQResource and EGL have pretty much laid all the groundwork for deciding if and potentially which servers would benefit from mergers. And of course they [DBG] have their internal numbers but those could be misleading without taking into account other factors (see the former). Factors also not accounted for in any of the above would be economy, social norms, and networking. I think people sometimes forget about the fact that each server has its own community with its own standards and norms. Dumping all the servers into one pot could potentially result in complete chaos and just lead to more people leaving than if they left it alone.

I personally don't support a merger -certainly not an ALL server one- but I know there are some servers that seem at a disadvantage. Being on Bristlebane it's hard to imagine dealing with more on the top end but with instanced raiding and /picks one could argue it's a non-issue.

/Tinfoil hat: no mergers = more server transfer pot sales in marketplace. For me having a 6-box crew it is just not economically feasible for a server-server transfer regardless and the one time I did do it... mass chaos on my accounts with housing being deleted, character data corruption, etc. Luckily there was still a decent amount of customer service in-game at that time!

TL;DR: No.
  18. Roxxlyy Augur

Nope! We don't have plans to merge any servers together at this time (and will announce ahead of time should that change in the future) and we ESPECIALLY don't have plans to mass merge.
  19. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

Server transfers are great! Can't merge...then no transfers. The thrill of seeing those decked out characters coming to my sever (FV) with l3wts from, oh say, Cazic, just never gets old. Those fire sales are the stuff of wet dreams for my boxed characters.
  20. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.