Zerker decap....where'd it go?

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Pitty, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Pitty New Member

Or is it just me?

Been watching parses on Prince raid (Tunare server) and when the max level was 105 I was in top 3 regularly, no rangers made it in the top 5.
    Once 110 became the max and the alchemists became dark blue, rangers are owning the top positions due to headshot. But what about decap???

I've parsed it and it looks like decap is still popping, at least it's showing in log file (a master alchemist is hit with a nearly-decapitating blow!) and I see it multiple times per mob, roughly pops about every 7 to 10 seconds, but the highest dmg hits are from dicho (have dicho 6).

I don't know Gamparse well enough to dig through and find the dmg per decap hit, and I don't see it in my screen buffers, so I'm confused as to wth is going on.

Does anyone see decap doing it's thing? Because I don't...
  2. strongbus Augur

form the looks of it based on raidloot.com and their aa section. ranger hs dose bout 120k more base damage then you decap.320k vs 200k and if they are proc more then you that explain that.
  3. Pitty New Member

Wow, if that's correct DBG can suck it....

But further down that path, in the log file (actual EQ log) I see the entries but the dmg numbers before and after make zero sense. Most were in the 5 digits (16000, 52000, etc). The only dmg entries in the muli hundred k were dicho. And I recall, before the Great Nerf of 2014, decap proc'ing for over 700k, sometimes 2 and 3 times.

How far we've fallen.
  4. Derka Power Ranger

Can't speak for decap but Ranger HS is bugged at rank 28 damage. Even though RoS offered new ranks, it only raised the level of mobs able to HS. It claims to have raised the damage but it did not and has been bug reported for months now.
  5. Pitty New Member

Broke out Gamparse and started looking at spell damage as it was pointed out to me that insta-kill hits show up under that.
    My max "nuke" was 380k. Once. I had several in the 310k to 350k range but those are most likely dicho hits. If they aren't, there are 2 problems.
    1) that's just pathetic
    2) in the log file there are no dmg numbers even close to 300k before or after the decap log entry. So where's the decap dmg number entry?
  6. Derka Power Ranger

Fight a mob that you can easily decapitate and don't use any huge dichos. See what your max hit on gamparse was for that fight
  7. Riou EQResource

being able to decap like 10x per minute on any dblue or lower con in the >200ks per proc is pathetic?

???

Ranger one is more limited in that it can only hit humanoid mobs, so it makes sense it is stronger damage per proc
    moogs and fransisco like this.
  8. Pitty New Member

If it actually worked that way, yes. But I went back and looked at the fights and there were 3 zerkers in total. Also, as I pointed out, damage listings anywhere near the decap log entry were nowhere near 300k; no 6 digit numbers at all. So IF it actually proc'd 200k several times a minute that would be great, but I can find no evidence that the damage output is anywhere near that.
  9. Pitty New Member

The only problem with that approach is that such a mob will also die fast, even with just auto attack. I need something in the db range that doesn't hit like a truck and has a ton of hit points.
    Know any mobs like that?
  10. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Combat dummies
    fransisco likes this.
  11. Moege Augur

light blue anniversary robot, go mad !
  12. fransisco Augur

What Riou said. Decap is all around WAY more useful than headshot since it can be used on most anything blue.
  13. Daedly Augur

You might have trouble finding your decal damage of you are looking for it as a "hit". Decapitation is spell damage, not melee. It's been that way since it was added. I believe the reason was so that it could not be modified by our discs. Rangers, if it wasn't changed, is melee ranged damage. So decap will never compete with HS, nor should it. We would be way OP if zerker decap functioned like HS.

That aside, I have done parsing on a combat dummy. With a weapon near the 30dly range and just autoattack, bard and shaman support , decap was adding about 10k DPS on 10 to 20 minute parses. That's without me removing my normal weapon procs.
  14. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

Rangers didn't need headshot to make top 5 in Prince at 105. I did it quite often - Silent Shot ftw!

Back to the subject at hand - I believe the penalties are too steed to Decap. Yes, we as Rangers need humanoid mobs for Headshot to fire and all, but we can be at safe range to use our ability. Decap should be allowed to function in the same way it does for Assassinate and Headshot. High Dex score should allow it to proc more than like twice every min or two. The cap on proc rate to way too harsh. I'm not quite sure what the Devs fear in Decap. It's likely the same kind of thinking that has the Devs say silly things like Monks would be too OP if they had Explode Heart as an assassinate type skill. Sorry Beastlords, you get nothing too because you're part Monk! Too OP!
  15. Derka Power Ranger

I love twincasting silent shots.
  16. Pitty New Member

Spent some time on the combat dummy and here's what I found.
    Decap is proc'ing as spell dmg (already knew that) for 200,257 dmg.
    It crit procs for 520,668. I've no idea how that math happened but, whatever.
    Decap is proc'ing about once or twice a minute.

So here's my takeaway. Ranger hs proc's 2-4x more often than decap. It's a higher base dmg and so a notably higher crit hit (seen 1.2M hs crits, so about 2.5x zerker crit). So if the mob can be hs'd, rangers are going to out dmg zerkers on the order of 2:1 or better. If the mob can't be hs'd, it seems the reverse happens.

I know Jhenna_BB says rangers in her raids made top 5 parse on Prince but either those rangers are alot better than ours or their other dps is alot worse. As I said, prior to level change allowing alchemists to be hs'd, rangers never made the top 5. Ok, there was one ranger that made #5 once, but that was it.

I'll need to pay more attention and make sure decap actually proc's on non-humanoids. I can totally see DBG having dorked that up so that every insta-kill is now humanoid-only but left decap at this pitiful damage comparison.
  17. fransisco Augur

Don't you mean ranger HS damage will outdo decap damage by 2:1?
    Not rangers will do 200% berzerker damage?
    Daedly likes this.
  18. Tolzol Augur

Is this a serious post? Lol. “The great nerf of 2014”<——reachin big time, if anything the patch your speaking of made it more useful to people that weren’t just trying to PL others. Decap/HS is not the reason your losing on parses. And zerkers are still in a pretty good spot atm. No we are not top dps on every event but we should not be anyway. You are literally complaining about something that is not an issue at all, if you want Decap to proc more often stack more heroic dex. But that is damn near bottom of the list for issues with zerkers.
  19. Kogmaw Lorekeeper

Resurrecting oldness here, but I think the take away is that nerfs suck .
  20. Apricots Lorekeeper

Down n dirty truth is that headshot and assassinate are far superior to decap, with the caveat that you are fighting humanoids. HS/ are affected by lots of AAs, discs, melee/range crit mods etc whereas decap is considered spell damage and is not affected by much of anything. The best AAs to boost it a bit are the ingenuity lines, but it's still pretty hot garbage, when compared to the aforementioned. Not a big deal as zerker is a monster anyway. And think about the poor monks who are pure melee dps brethren and have nothing at all!

Honestly I'm not a big fan of the gimmick/"insta"kill aas. Either all (dps?) classes should have something similar, to ease the grind or boost dps on certain encounters, or no class should have them.