Returning New Tank

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Tarlaok, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Tarlaok New Member

I'm level 90 Ogre warrior. I would like to be able to tank group content including some named mobs. What set of gear, augs, weapons do I need to be able to do this? Is it possible to get a basic set of gear without having to raid? It would seem tanking has become complicated to the point of almost being out of reach for new players. I've looked for guides and howtos online. It would seem tanking is a trade secret now lol. Thanks for any help, Regards.
  2. Aurastrider Augur

Start collecting your fear touched armor now. You will be able to use it at level 92. There are lots of augs you can purchase from the vendors in tainted west karana for doing HA's in COTF expansion. This should help you with some of your augs. Get your epic (never played a warrior but assume it holds value?). Raidloot.com has a nice search feature that you can use to help you figure out what augs and gear to camp for your level. AC/HP are vital for all tanks and you can never seem to get enough so try to focus your efforts on raising both. Also try to complete achievements in COTF-ROS as you level up because these achievements will give you AA's that boost your stats.

As stated I don't play a warrior but all classes are the same when it comes to AA's and abilities. Read the descriptions and determine what abilities make the most sense. You should have some oh crap abilities, some fast reuse frequent reuse abilities and some for special situations. Setup your UI for easy access for how you like to arrange your abilities and keybind important ones. As an SK I have all my agro abilities on one hotbar, things that add to lifetap in one area, things that mitigate or absorb damage in another area and things that are just pure dps in another area. Some of these are keybound and others I just manually select depending on the situation. Once you have an understanding or at least think you have an understanding of your abilities test them on a combat dummy to make sure your keybinds are working as intended. Once you have confirmed this test things on some green or light blue mobs to develop some muscle memory and to further fine tune things. Once you feel you are ready for the real deal go try out some tougher mobs and make further adjustments as needed.

If you feel a specific disc rotation is not working post your rotation and I am sure a master warrior can chime in or direct you to a link with an optimal setup. Tanks are very needy gear wise and are a lifelong time investment or at least it feels this way to me. On the flip side playing a tank will allow you to take on encounters and content players without a tank might not have success doing so its rewarding in that regard.
  3. Tarlaok New Member

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. This information is very helpful. Thanks again,
    Tarlaok
  4. Repthor Augur

As a side note dont bother with your epic. It sucks. Once you get a feeling for your toon try to build freindship with some high end warrs most of us arent to much of snobs. But alot of us stay away from typeing up how tos cuz its not worth our time as ppl dont have the toolset to use the search function on the forum. And alot of the test of time is for you to learn to do your reasearch in form of ability stacking and situational awereness
  5. Tarlaok New Member

Thanks Repthor, it is defiantly a large investment in time. Obviously you can't just jump in and start tanking stuff. I was hoping I could tank stuff up to 110 in groups but I don't think that is possible with newbie gear and a lack of complete understanding for the class.
  6. Repthor Augur

few websites to help you learn what abilitys do and what gear and augs are avilible to you are
    eqresource.com
    raidloot.com
  7. Lianeb Augur

I still click my epic all the time. The hp buff is garbage at 110 but its the resist i Want. Though there are allt of AEs flagged these days as unresistable i still click it in the off chance i can
  8. fransisco Augur

Makes it sound not worth getting. Even in group content, resists are have a mod greater than your total saves normally.
    And everything raid is just unresistable anyways.
  9. Lianeb Augur

It’s a 40% (i think) chance to resist detrimental. So meh it doesn’t hurt.
  10. Repthor Augur

Its no woth getting. Even group nameds nowaday cast unresistble spells
  11. p2aa Augur

First of all, don't make hotkeys. Use your ability in your hotbar one by one.
    Even as an experienced warrior, I have only 3 hotkeys made of abilities (one for short aggro reuse abilities, one for other short reuse spamming stuff, one that combine the cast of Commanding Voice and Field Defender line). So to learn the warrior class, you definitely not need to make hotkeys, and you will be very efficient.

90 is a good lvl for warriors, you have access to a wider aggro abilities area and mitigation ones

At your lvl, and for the next levels to come, you will have access to some lines of discs that get upgraded with levels increase.
    One short reuse aggro over time line, Bazu Roar line
    One short reuse aggro line, Scoff line
    One AE aggro line, Wheeling Blade line

Add to this the following AA :
    Gut Punch
    Blast of Anger

Max your hastened AA of the aggro discs abilities line I gave ya (Bazu Roar line and Scoff line especially), and the AA too and also the power of all these abilities. Overall though, when you work on your AA, start with the ones that are passive (work 100 % of the time), then the active one. The exception being hastened AA of the aggro abilities that made a great difference when they were refreshed way faster.

To keep aggro at your lvl, click Bazu, Scoff, Gut Punch, Blast of Anger on the mob inc in camp, repeat for next mob. If you get 2 + mob coming, click Wheeling Blade when they are at camp, and dump single target aggro on the current mob you tank.
    If mobs are coming in camp before every min, and Blast of Anger not up, you can add Wheeling Blade land also some aggro on a single target mob (but be careful this AE ability break mezzes)

Regarding mitigation, you will have access also to some lines of disc that get upgraded with level increase.
    Ability that all group benefit in song window, Field Guardian line
    Disc ability, Steadfast Defense line.
    Always keep these abilities up. Once you have acess to increase duration AA of these abilities, you will be able to click them without having to worry to refresh them anytime soon.
    For mitigation AA, one of the best ability for the return it gives is Brace For Impact.
    Also, get Commanding Voice disc, and always use it.

Click all the abilities you get from your gear stuff (Form of Defense, Prismatic Ward, etc), it will create an AA that will store it, so you can remove them from your buff window after.

I agree that the epic 2.0 is not a "must have" for warriors in current content. It's another bonus to get when you are done on all the rest, but not a priority.
    One priority regarding old items to get, it's Anguish BP, with the Guardian Bravery clicky. To the OP, this is the best old school ability for warriors to get asap if you are looking on what old content items you need.
    moogs likes this.