Returning players, did you find a home yet?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by OldMan, Apr 19, 2018.

1. OldMan New Member

Hello all,
    I am playing again and loving it.
    I have started toons on a few servers and I did get my old Rodcet tunes back but that server is not very populated it seems and grouping is a pita.
    So for others who have recently returned, have you found a server and guild that really fits again? I doubt I am the only other casual player (lucky to get an hour or two, 3-4 days a week) who is returning and just enjoying plunking around again. I checked the new server and like it, I also tried FV and a couple of others but it felt a little off. The people on FV were nice but it was a very strange how you can buy anything and not really quest for it anymore. The new server is not bad but my race has been Iksar since they came out and that won't open for a few more weeks I think. So I was just checking to see what some of you who are also returning have found.
    thanks in advance
  2. Shaydoe Nyte New Member

Like you I do not get a lot of time playing EQ anymore. I had a heroic SK I got for a couple of years back when DBG was giving them away for free. I played around for a few days but was playing a lot of LoL and just lost interest in EQ.

I have been back playing for about a month now and I had the heroic SK on Cazic Thule. It was a decent enough server, but for weeks at 85 I never found a group. I had got into a guild, but most were 100+ so there really was no leveling help. It took a long time to solo all the heroic aug quests in HoT while wearing heroic gear. I finally got to 88, but that took like 2 weeks. I started my 2.0 which is easy enough, but there is a part where you need a group of 6 to zone into Anguish. I tried for 2 days to get people to group and only got 3 people at most. They do not even have to help, just needed 6 people so I can zone in.

I transferred to FV about a week ago, and the very first night I got into a group that was doing in VoA. Since then I have not had a hard time finding at least 1 person to group with. The free trade makes gearing up really easy. With not a lot of time to play, being able to just worry about leveling and buying some new armor from the Bazaar is really nice.
  3. KermittheFroglok Augur

I play on Vox, I started a casual guild with my significant other for us and close friends, so my experience may not be the norm... We like Vox because of its low population so we don't usually have to wait for camps when looking for a particular mob. We also like to play older content so we tend to run into the same handful of people running old epics, etc. From my experience people in older zones messing around tend to be the most chill/chatty.

I think the key is just interacting a lot with laid back players on a server with a population & a rule set you're comfortable with. You'd be surprised how many casual players there are, the challenge isn't finding them but instead coordinating schedules, if you have a long friend list of persistent players you're bound to find someone online.

(But again, I play with people I knew first in real life, so I have less trouble finding a group than other casual players on a low pop. server)
    OldManRob and OldMan like this.
  4. Tiggold Augur

I've been on EMarr and FV since returning and have positive and negative experiences on both servers. EMarr was great for a returning player like myself. There were enough players on during the day when I played and was able to come across knowledgeable people to help me out with questions. I began boxing though because there just wasn't enough people on or interested in doing the things I wanted/needed to do for my character. I moved to FV and I saw what you saw at first, everyone buys everything instead of doing things themselves. At first I was like wth but then realized it doesn't affect me in anyway so I just kept on doing what I do. I'm able to get groups a little more often than EM but I still box every now and then. There are more opportunities for me to play my alts in groups on FV though and that I highly enjoy. I've said it so many times that I'm a BER and couldn't see myself ever main changing but I have developed an interest in playing the other classes so I can be better aware of what they do and how. This works out well on a server like FV where I can use my extra plat, which would just pile at this point, to gear them out and not have to put in so much work to enjoy them like I do my main.

As the other posters said you need to interact more maybe. Don't be afraid to make call outs. When that doesn't do the trick go to the zone you actually want to group in and , /shout Soandso LFG, any room please? Don't let the game beat you up, it's easy to let that happen. Besides there is so much more out there to do than just group. I mean like tons of things to do and that you can do on your own.

One piece of advice I would give you is if you're a hearing player, Hearing as in I'm deaf and you're not, I would install the software that allows you to voice chat. Even something like Skype. I see the game gravitating towards that faster and faster. I've met people and been told that people don't want to personally group with me because I can't participate in voice chatting. So, if you can put yourself out there and be prepared to communicate through voice if you can.

Good Luck
    OldManRob and OldMan like this.
  5. fohpo2 New Member

Their loss though
    OldManRob likes this.
  6. moogs Augur

That is so BS. This game has been great for 18 years without voice chat. Who needs it today?
    OldManRob and Sagarmatha like this.
  7. Khaliss Augur

FV is currently the best live server... Agnarr for TLPs
    OldManRob likes this.
  8. Gnomeland Augur

Firiona Vie can be easier to play on than other servers due to the economy, BUT can also be harder to play on than other servers, due to the amount of farming. Every zone and every camp with useful drops are going to be a farm on Firiona Vie; but depending on how you prefer to advance through the game, this can be a positive, or a negative.

On other servers, people have less incentive to farm old content so they're empty most of the time. But this also makes it harder for you to get help for them. So I guess the easy answer is - for a box group, empty servers are probably better. For an individual player, Firiona Vie is better.
    OldManRob likes this.
  9. skattabrainz Augur

a few servers are known for having returner-friendly guilds. every server has one but if you don't like FV's rule set I would recommend Xegony specifically for their returner-friendly guild Lions of the Heart.
    OldManRob likes this.
  10. Khaliss Augur

I'll have to disagree with you on this about FV... I go to EoK zones and there are only a few players camping supposedly "contested" spots, the only zones I'd say that may have active camps on peak hours are in RoS. PoK is full of people though, that I can say =)
    OldManRob likes this.
  11. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

I came back after 2 years. (played since 2002) When I first logged on I found out I was booted from the guild due to inactivity. But it hardly made a difference. That guild was dead 2 years ago, now it's even deader. :)

Since all my former groupies no longer play (one is dead IRL) I've moloed my way to 110. I haven't seriously looked for a guild as of yet, but I did check out the only 2 who were recruiting on my server. Neither one of them had anyone on during my play hours, which is in the AM central time during the week.

I'm also considering a transfer to FV. Since as of late, all I do is molo, that might be the best server for me. I do need to find out certain things about a transfer before I would do it though. Would I lose any of my vet awards? I haven't missed a payment since I signed up in 2002, so losing any of my vet awards would be unacceptable. I wouldn't transfer if that were the case. Is there any problems with a transfer anyone has experienced?

As for the FV server. Does the economy move by Kronos or the Bazaar? On my server, any of the big ticket items, such as ultra rares are all Kronos. I play on Bertoxxulous/ Saryrn.
  12. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

If Lions of the Heart are still around, highly recommend getting over to Xegony to play there. The best way to enjoy the Live game long-term if you don't have a lot of playtime is to find a plentiful supply of adventuring partners about whom the same is true. Not every server has a guild like that, in fact at this point there are probably precious few.
    High Voltage likes this.