PCGamer posts short review of Coirnav from first timer perspective

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by jeskola, Apr 20, 2018.

1. jeskola pheerie

2. Ryak Augur

REALLY??? Come on. They didn't even play the game, did they.

Also, they intentionally played on a classic-locked server, then complanied about the lack of a tutorial or levelling quests, when both exist as of PoP and TSS, respectively.

Anything to support the tenuous point of the article, i guess.
    potatoface likes this.
  3. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

I'm not convinced that writer actually did anything past maybe finding their way out of Erudin.
  4. Whipper Journeyman

Pretty much this. I've figured this out about a lot of folks though, they give up without ever coming near the end game. But EverQuest is fun leveling up if you get past the newbie areas, I even enjoy the newbie areas, the whole game is a journey, most people just don't have the attention span for it anymore I guess. All instant gratification now.
  5. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

It's really a sad attempt. I mean he thought his level was hidden, how does that happen? Click some icons, read some stuff. There are things in EQ that aren't self-explanatory, but the newbie experience isn't one of them. Especially when this guy already played WoW.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  6. Ghubuk Augur

I think he was trying to point out that it IS a more unforgiving game if you haven't played it before. Sure, WE know where to click and such but someone new doesn't. BUT, he is also pointing out that this isn't necessarily a bad thing and part of the magic of original eq was figuring things out.
  7. Lhelith Journeyman

he probably meant to say the level of the mob was hidden
  8. Hateseeker Augur

>desperately double-clicked every NPC he could find in a faint hope of uncovering a quest

Is Pantheon going to go with Hailing or clicking to interact? Assuming it actually launches, for those of you that are planning to make such a comment.
  9. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

That is probably the case, I forgot WoW shows the mob level when you click them.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  10. slayerofbats Augur

I thought it was a positive article, and he makes a lot of fair points. He got a few facts wrong but clearly he didn't spent much time, he probably played 30 minutes to an hour and saw no hand holding, and reported back. It is a shame he didn't get to see more of the game because he seems receptive enough and might have even liked it and it could have been a revelation to him. The "long" fights are the main reason I played this game for almost 20 years. Nothing else makes sense to me. But a new player is not going to discover the point of that in 30 minutes. You need to be higher level and try grouping, although no vaguely curious people are going to get to that point.

I think there is no excuse for having no tutorial on those servers. Not coming until later expansions is not a justification. It should be an option for new players. Most of the issues he had would have been fixed with that one tweak. Although, he actually seemed to like the lack of hand holding so maybe the tutorial would have made it just seem like WoW all over again only older and cruddier, and therefore pointless.

All these things should have been done better by SOE many years ago.

p.s. It was an article similar to this that brought me back to real EQ after a long time away.
  11. Bandzamakeherdance Elder

There was not a single thing he said that was wrong in the article other than your character level is hidden. Everything he said is absolutely correct and gives the perspective of a brand new player and how unforgiving and uninviting EQ is to the newbie on a TLP server.

The fact is that everquest is played by people who have been playing it for a long time so there is no need for tutorials. Sure there are a very very few new players on TLP servers and i'd be willing to bet that most of them are coming here with friends who have played so they have a built in tutorial in their friends.

EQ was made in a time before all of the things modern MMOs have so it's expected that the TLP wouldn't have these things until much later expansions which aren't currently available due to the nature of starting in classic on the TLP. If you don't know your way around in EQ or have people to help you then you will be 100% lost. Imagine being dropped into a big city with no maps and no gps and no friends and told to find your way to the airport without talking to anybody who can give you directions. You would be lost forever. That's how a TLP server is for a brand new player.

Those that are naysayers of the article aren't viewing it from the writers perspective as a brand new person who has never seen the game at all. Most people will pick up a game and give it a shot and if there isn't something to pull them into the game they will drop it. EQ on a TLP server has nothing to pull you in and nothing to help you at all. Modern MMOs have ways to guide you through being a new player. EQ does not.

I don't see it as a negative article based on how it ended. It's just an honest perspective from somebody who has never played the game and has only been exposed to games like WoW which do have guides to pull you in. The fact is that DBG has not and will not do anything to bring new players in. They are perfectly ok with keeping the same suckers coming back ( yes, that includes me just not on coirnav ).
  12. Candystore Augur

My browser refused to even load that site due to safety concerns. Be warned.
  13. Brumans Augur

Just being nitpicky - but there were indeed other things he said that was totally wrong.

Overall though, I agree with you. While it had a couple of factual errors, the overall impression and feeling that creating a new character for a completely new player was spot on. EQ can't gain new players - at the very least, you need a buddy to fire up with you and show you the ropes.
  14. moogs Augur

I guess he never bothered to try to pull up a map or get a group. Probably didn't even buy any spells.
  15. Accipiter Old Timer

LOL, what are you using for a browser? Suspecting a troll, a tried it in Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and IE. All brought the page up fine.
  16. Bandzamakeherdance Elder

Yea, only thing I had show up was a message asking me to disable my ad blocker. Otherwise page was just fine.
  17. RandomStrategy Augur

"Which you better win, because your gear is dropped upon death."

Did they reinstitute corpse runs?
  18. Bandzamakeherdance Elder

You don't have that enabled? You carebear!

I'd go back and edit my original statement but I can't. I was wrong in my statement.
  19. Candystore Augur

I used advanced filtering, sites with lots of ads / facebook links / analytics / tracking, do not get through.

[IMG]

site uses tons of trackers so it gets blocked:

[IMG]
    andross77 likes this.
  20. Treage_Imminent Elder

I liked the story, but that site is pretty intrusive. I got the congrats spinning wheel of close the window now on my phone. They must be using the same ad agency as Zam. It happens there too sometimes.