Thanks DB EQ team!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by IblisTheMage, Apr 18, 2018.

1. IblisTheMage Augur

So, it is a big patch back-end wise today, so the team came in at 2AM this morning to make the upgrades for us and keep The Best Game Ever Made running, growing, and evolving.

BIG THANKS TO YOU!
    eepok, toxicsmell, Maedhros and 7 others like this.
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I agree! Or they were all still up doing their taxes while watching a server light.
  3. Sissruukk Rogue One

4. Turinbar Augur

Lol someone wants a job at daybreak :p
    toodlem likes this.
  5. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I hope those massive server/client upgrades pays off. I wonder if we can expect a noticeable difference right away, or if it is just laying the groundwork for future stuff? :)
  6. IblisTheMage Augur

Who, me? I live on the other side of the planet, dude. :)
    eepok likes this.
  7. Beggly Augur

Since this update does a lot of things I am going to like, I don't think it's a useless update. In fact, I think that every once in a while, you need a massive update. One nice thing about the servers updating is that the list of junk on the vendors resets to default as well. I can get vender trash I want for a few days while people sell what they don't want that I can use. I almost wish patches were more often. LOL.
  8. Roxxlyy Augur

Hey thanks! It's crazy that these devs come in so early in the morning (can you even call it the morning) and are HAPPY about it. Seriously, the team does an awesome job.
    Fanra, IblisTheMage, Xatt and 6 others like this.
  9. IblisTheMage Augur

I am led to believe that the problem is that that you underestimate the workload of continously maintaining 22 year old code base (it took them 3 years to develop before launch) and maturing it into something that can be improved upon and launched expansions on, with a somewhat small team. Having 18 years in IT, I am really impressed by the dedication of the team, and their obvious process and quality maturation over the last 3 years. I am not bulshitting, I work with teams like theirs (Scrum-ish).

They need to continously break down and build up. They have a significant tech debt on their hand, a lot of software engineering choices and game design that would be made differently today. Verant literally invented the genre (while standing on the shoulders of UO and others) at a time when the basic software engineering was very far from where it is today.

Imagine that you had the most popular hotel in town, but you would be forced to continously repair and upgrade it, while people lives in it. I think that is their reality...
    Niskin, Jhenna_BB, moogs and 3 others like this.
  10. Hannah Journeyman

I agree Ibliz, you are right on the money. Not to mention that the hotel is now made of spaghetti of epic proportions. The negativity around here is ridiculous. These peeps are doing the best they can with what they have and anyone that gets any enjoyment out of this game should be eternally grateful for their hard work. I certainly am.

...Hannah...
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  11. Gnomeland Augur

Longer down time was expected. This update took almost two days to complete for Test; it's a major infrastructural update, not your typical monthly update. I just hope they worked out all the issues that came with it on Test before pushing it to live.
  12. Herf Augur

Having worked in a couple different game companies I will say that even with a really good code base, the way game Producers made decisions and then demand devs get the work done chop chop, and THEN decide at the last minute to demand yet more changes, it's surprising that any online game ever works properly.

I also worked at a company where we produced both an OS and desktop software and I've seen how proper software production is done; and it's not done at game companies.

Despite ALL the above...I mean, really, some of these mistakes are just beyond the pale.
    toodlem likes this.
  13. yosco Augur

lol,

Half the servers just went down.

Great job!
  14. Vdidar Augur

They are testing more content.
  15. McDougal Augur

Hmmm
  16. yosco Augur

They're still testing EoK content.
    Vdidar likes this.
  17. moogs Augur

I also work in software, and EQ's dev team is so much better than ours, nearly all of whom are MIT grads. Not to say I don't question some decisions, but it's pretty impressive being able to (mostly) keep this thing together.
  18. Mookus Augur

I think they're doing a good job on EQ wrt patching. It hardly ever interferes with my playtime anymore.

I will endure any hiccups on this one patiently.
  19. shimazuul Journeyman

Now that we have thrown out all the accolades... Any idea on how long this down time is gonna be?
  20. moogs Augur

There are already enough threads about that.