The Technical Side of Getting to Launch

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by m_hoop, Apr 10, 2018.

1. m_hoop New Member

Howdy all -

Hang on, let me knock off the dust.

That's better. I have been lurking around EQ since 1999, as many have. I played in high school on Rallos Zek approx. a million years ago for about a half a million years after that. Back then my biggest technical issue was a dropped connection and/or my budget-level video card.

Now, though, I have new problems. Here's the scenario: I have a pretty high end mac desktop computer. I downloaded the legitimate windows 10 download (from Microsoft's website) and installed it in a bootcamp partition (plenty big). I downloaded Steam and EQ through that mechanism. Still with me? Excellent. I patched without much problem and the first time I clicked 'play,' I got a dx<whatever>.dll missing' error.

That was roadblock #1. I did some googling and downloaded some updated (or outdated, depending on how you look at it) directX drivers (there's a chance they aren't in the correct folder, so can someone tell me where I should drop them?) and that problem resolved itself. Now, though - here's where I'm stuck. The issue I'm having is this - I open steam, launch everquest, the launchpad appears, checks the load, allows the 'Play' button to be pressed. I press it and the game window opens in a small box, expands briefly, then closes altogether. About 10 seconds after that, the launcher itself will close. This is as far as I can get.

I have verified my files
    I played with the graphic resolutions (defaulted to 800x600)
    I run/ran launcher out of the EQ folder as administrator

Can't figure it out and some help would be really, really appreciated. I miss me some EQ.

Thanks,
    H.
  2. moogs Augur

I'm curious about the part where you updated "directX drivers". Did you download and install a DirectX 9.0c redistributable or did you download and install a driver for your video card? I don't know what the specs are for the more recent iMac Pro machines, but I think they're using AMD Radeon GPUs. What is the model of the video card, or failing that, the model of your Mac? You will need to update its driver.
  3. xxGriff Augur

Moogs is right, more info is needed. as to DX9c, well you will have to download the June 2010 redistributable package from MS (around 96mb) as DX9c libraries were incomplete.

you want to download the DirectX end-user redistributable from MS.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

a full version of DX9c was never included in windows 7+ and this supplement is needed.
    it is around 96mb download and when run will extract to a folder of your choosing, then run DXSETUP from within the directory you extracted to