Etiquette

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Morbid, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Aurastrider Augur

There is an obvious difference between someone claiming a natural "camp" and trying to stake claim to half a zone. As far as DBG saying there are no camps its simply because they could never enforce camp rules. There are lots of things in RL that are not rules or laws but are still frowned upon due to being tasteless. In EQ rolling up on someone's camp and doing a DPS race would fall into this category. This whole outlaw mentality might work on the TLP servers but on live it would be pretty detrimental in the long run if everyone started doing it. There are more than enough people that would just stop playing due to having no interest in this new outlaw plague that seems to be acceptable on the TLP servers. If someone wants to prove they are a real maverick they should go play on zek where if they attempt to roll up on someone's camp the other person can at least try to pop them in the mouth for doing it.
  2. Tucoh Augur

On Bristlebane it's extremely rare to hear about people kill-stealing camps. Overthere makes claiming a camp a little difficult if you've got more than a few people in your group, since it's so spread out.

Whenever I'm hunting near a group of people I don't know I always let them know I'll give them priority for whatever they're after. A lot of people can get understandably skittish when they see 6 Tucos pop up and annihilate a few mobs. As a rule I never compete with a group even when I was there first, just not worth the drama.

I sometimes wish the game was centered around more competition around spawns, it'd be fun to go head-to-head with the other box-teams. But I also know what it's like to camp some named all night, finally get it to spawn and to check track for other players to snarl at like a starved beast finally getting a meal.
  3. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Pretty much how I’ll handle it, too. Will do an ooc cc to make sure whatever I’m wanting to camp isn’t taken, and if people then freak out saying it’s camped later on I’ll be annoyed that they ignored the cc call, but leave, generally, assuming they can keep the spawns dead. It’s not worth a fuss, and there’s plenty of other things to do in game.

Some of the most toxic and least fun things I’ve experienced in game is childish fighting over contested spawns. Thankfully most of that is gone from live (enjoy, TLP cesspool!), but I’ll never forget DSH and those gd flame igniters!
  4. Fohpo Augur

Warhammer Online had instanced dungeons where two squads would race to a contested name in the center, if you got there and the other squad was fighting it - you could attack them. Good times for sure.
  5. fransisco Augur

This

I've run into situations where a bot group is sitting there doing nothing and don't respond (And full camp is spawned). So I start killing. Then awhile later they get upset cause I'm in their camp. At that point, I consider it my camp (safely sitting invis doing nothing and afk in a full camp for more than a couple minutes doesn't count as camping in my book).

But in general, live servers don't have this problem. TLP? those servers are filthy. Its all about farming Krono. Just make a post about solving the krono problem and all the farmers come outta the woodwork justifying their money farms.
  6. seber Augur

and I bet most them from ROV ..............
  7. Tatanka Joe Schmo

No clue who you're replying to.
  8. Aurastrider Augur

That really sucks, I know on Tunare its pretty chill for the most part or at least the late night crowd. Have you considered doing a test copy so you don't have to start over for your guides? This might be less of a hassle since you already have your toons in place. Just copy over so you can focus on your guides without having to worry to much about things. I am not sure how the population is on test in regards to this sort of thing. Maybe someone from test could chime in. This is assuming you still enjoy FV and don't want to start all the way over again on a new server.
  9. AlmarsGuides Augur

I'm already 105 on Trakanon, that server appealed to me because of how massively dead it is. I really like the idea of you being 100% on your own. I just need to aug + gear there (better gear anyway) and I will probably play there more than on FV =P

From what I hear Test's population is pretty cool. Most people I talk to who have experience playing on FV and experience on a regular server say that they notice FV is more toxic than their other server. I'd assume it's because of the unique ruleset but *shrug* who knows.

Really the only thing the toxic community on FV stops me from doing is writing guides. I can avoid them for almost literally everything else I do so all in all it's not that big of a deal for me. The most upsetting part is knowing that I am not the only person who is harrassed by these people. It may sound like a "sissy" thing, but if a customer gets massively mistreated, like repeatedly trained by someone just cause they're a boxer type of thing... Well, that's very likely to increase their chances of quitting the game. I know of five or six people (6 boxers or more) that quit during the early TLP days because they couldn't deal with all of the drama. The community was just too toxic. I'd bet my money FV has the same thing happening there.
  10. Wuddane Elder

I feel like I should be on the FV Most Wanted list now! Shadowbanne was never in Valhallah, I am the only bad apple here.

Almar, although I did shout back eat me, I wasn't the person that went after your named. It was still a guildmate of mine and a random pickup from general, after I admonished that the same 18 bot crew (or 12, however many it was) had been there each time I was in the zone that week. I did run over to make sure those two that engaged it didn't die, and took agro at nearly 40%...of course they had to become members of my tribe after. A most grueling process..

I'm sorry our one interaction with each other left such a sour taste in your mouth. I am sure that me shouting 'eat me' didn't help, but when I see people using that many toons you had better bet your lucky balls I jump to conclusions about that person and their intentions, especially since I saw all those same toons there are various hours for a long time. You make assumptions, I make assumptions...we are only human after all.

Regarding FV being compared to a TLP, I have to disagree. I might steal your named from time to time (btw, start doing /who everyone on FV, and be wary when you see Wuddane)...however I made a new toon on Coirnav to screw around a bit, and I was cussed out for killing a level 1 rat that someone else engaged at the same time...Brutal!

Most of this is in jest, because in the end this is a game and I believe we all play to have fun (some to make money...) If people harass you on a regular basis, that is not good and should not be tolerated (and can be reported). I have been here too long to get upset if someone takes a named I was camping, or 'invades my territory', or anything of that nature. People will make mistakes, there will be a lack of communication, there will be excitement and stimulation when people see rarespawn01 and get tunnel vision. Although we are in their world, it is what we make of it. Welcome to Norrath.

Now, I am off to rampage on Firiona and steal all your namers!!
  11. AlmarsGuides Augur

It didn't leave a sour taste in my mouth per say, it just enlightened me to the type of person you are (as harsh as that sounds). Maybe you were having an off day, frustrated at work and on a shorter fuse when you played EQ that night, it's understandable and even acceptable. In that situation though all would be forgiven. That's not quite the case though, I have seen you take someone elses named in Korsha Labs and they were initially VERY rude to you (I think even cursed at you) but you were nice back, apologized and offered them the loot from the named. A total 180 from how you treated me.

The difference was your assumption about me which is where my issue comes from. By your own admission in your last post...

You assumed, because I was boxing 11 characters at the time and alternating between two of the same camps for 8hrs a day for 1 week straight in the same zone that I was doing something wrong (lol?) (Leveling characters in EQ takes a lot of time... especially when you have 11 of them). So, you then decided that it would be 'ok' to mistreat me, without any evidence, based on that assumption. From our interaction I assumed you were a butt face. I didn't act on this though. I didn't mistreat your guildies or you based on my assumption (that I actually HAVE evidence for; whereas you had NO evidence for your assumption and decided to mistreat me anyway). I don't see a member of your guild while I am playing and say "man, I have seen so many bad apples in that guild, I might as well treat them all the same way they treat me"... No. I wouldn't even do that if it were you personally in an effort to 'seek vengeance'. That's the difference.

You play this game in a way that puts you into situations where you're often accused of stealing peoples nameds, I have seen it twice with my own eyes and have had one friend who also had a named stolen by you. Your entire post makes a joke of the situation, like you were justified in what you did... But you weren't. You make it sound like you believe what you did wasn't morally wrong, when it was.

Additionally, you also make it seem like playing the way you do, aggressively, stealing people's nameds, isn't a morally reprehensible way of playing the game. It is. Just because Daybreak doesn't enforce the PnP anymore doesn't mean that what you're doing is appropriate. Just because other people play the game aggressively and in a way that ruins the experience of others doesn't mean that you should too. That's just a childish justification for poor behaviour.

That is the problem I have with all of the people I mentioned in my previous post and with you. You are actually trying to justify your reasons for dehumanizing a person and mistreating them because you assumed they were doing something wrong. Your entire post basically made a joke of the issue saying "I assumed you were doing something wrong so I had the right to act/do what I did. Oh and there's plenty of people worse than me so, I guess I must not be all that bad."

Do you not see how disgusting that is?
  12. kizant Augur

Campers are the worst in every game. Get out there and play aggressive!
    gotwar likes this.
  13. gnomeboss Augur

[IMG]
    Wuddane likes this.
  14. AlmarsGuides Augur

If people wanna play like animals and treat others that way -- they pay the price emotionally. Acting in a way that you know to be wrong corrupts the soul and leads you down a path in life that can only bring misery. If you think this isn't true, I recommend you read up on some Psychology, I will give you a source to get you started:

He'll explain everything to you, you only need to listen. Then you can google what you learned and confirm if it's true or not. He's a very intelligent man with a lot to teach and I do not mean to sound arrogant with my linking this video. Truly, give it a listen and if you may just be surprised by what you hear.

Also, just to be clear here... I'm not saying that I am a good person or that everything I do is right (morally or otherwise). What I am saying though, is I will not do anything that I know to be wrong. We all have that feeling when we know something we're doing is wrong/not a 'good' action. Whether it be lying, stealing someone's mob, training someone, harrassing someone because of the way they play the game or the shirt they wear, or accepting free items you don't need from guildies and selling them instead of using them like you said you were going too *cough*.

There is NO good reason for playing Everquest in the 'aggressive' type of way. As we can see from this thread, playing that way promotes the type of behaviour we almost all agree is wrong. It promotes the toxic atmosphere that almost everyone claims to hate on the TLPs.

By playing the game in a way you know to be wrong you are contributing to making the atmosphere more toxic. When you see someone playing the game in a way you know to be wrong and you endorse their behaviour, you are also contributing to making the atmosphere more toxic. The next time someone in the game steals your named, mistreats you or takes your camp (if you are one of these people) you should understand that your actions played a direct role in that happening. If you're the type of person that thinks it doesn't bother you when someone does something like this to you... Well I think you should read up on Cognitive Dissonance too.

TL;DR - Don't do things that you know are wrong. It'll make you depressed and into someone whom you hate. Plus watch the video.
  15. Aurastrider Augur

I agree Almar, I am not perfect but I try to go about life not treating others how I wish to be treated but rather I try to treat others better than I wish to be treated myself. Take a little and give a lot goes a long ways in this world. I think its partly this mindset which is why I went into nursing as a profession. My life revolves around trying to help others and often times I neglect my own needs in order to help another person. There is also something to be said about live and let die. The past is the past and cant be undone no matter how much we hope or wish for it to be changed. Forgive but don't forget is a philosophy I try to live by. When we let the negative actions of another impact us past the initial action it becomes unhealthy and will eat away at you from the inside out. Focus that negative energy into positive energy and accomplish great things instead of feeding the angry beast within. Life is way to short to let someone else ruin even one day. I always try to think to myself when I am having a bad day that there is someone else out there who would trade their good day for my bad day. There is always someone who is worse off than yourself so enjoy what you have and be grateful you are not the person wishing for someone else's bad day.
  16. kizant Augur

It's just a game tho. Don't take it so seriously. If you think it's your life then maybe you need the psychologist?
    Wuddane, Playful and Sancus like this.
  17. slayerofbats Augur

The game just needs GMs like it did in the old days. But they can't afford it. So it is what it is. Most online gaming is the same now.
  18. Playful Journeyman

Right at the top. Your savagery shall not go unnoticed anymore, Wuddane!
    Wuddane likes this.
  19. Wuddane Elder

This really is most laughable. I don't play this game in a way that puts me into situations where I am often accused to stealing named mobs. In fact, it happens so infrequently that I recall both of these situations very clearly( even though they were about half a year ago? or more). You haven't witnessed it twice with your own eyes, you have witnessed it zero times. All you witnessed was the exchange of dialogue, and you made assumptions.

If you witnessed what happened in scorched woods with the named mob, you would have seen it wasn't me that agro'd it or even started to do damage. The ranger and beastlord were killing it, and when the BL pet died from tanking I started to scurry my fat troll butt over while the ranger used weaponshield. Sure, I could have let them die....but I'm not that kinda guy. Yeah, I could have made them give you the loot as well...but to be honest, I don't feel remorse if someone playing with that much power loses a named. Most people boxing that many toons are just farming for $, especially on FV.

And again, in korsha labs I was helping some people on progression (us villains do that, from time to time). One of my groupmates ran into Garl Fink in the hallway and started to get smacked on. So what did I do? Well, when I'm not out stealing named, I'm saving groupmates! Of course I didn't take time to do a camp check, or say 'hey we should all just die and run back here!'. Of course I didn't see the other group in the back of the room to the side well out of line of sight and think, Oh it must be their namer! No, I smacked the crap out of that wench and laid his corpse on the floor.

I don't intentionally steal anyone's rare spawn, nor do I promote that with anyone.

Believe any of that or not, what does irritate me a bit is that you have the audacity to say I dehumanized you (by shouting eat me?), after you make a post trying to defame my guild and myself, and make FV seem like this toxic cesspool. Maybe I am just that much of a terror that the entire server knows to stay away, but I experience much the opposite of what you do.

You are right my post made a joke of the issue, as I stated most of it was in jest because...this is a game.

Now, I'm off this time to train my raid and make them wipe as much as possible...cause I like doing that too.
  20. Siddar Augur

TLP severs have different rules then normal servers. DPS race being legal sets the tone of TLP servers.