To the returning players - not all boxers are cheaters.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Nekromancy, Mar 31, 2018.

1. UnjustBannedAtabishi Journeyman

Boxing multiple toons, even 6 char's is actually easier than you think. It's not much more difficult than playing 1 character. It's ALL about your setup. When I first started boxing on phinny I played 3 characters, and my setup was so atrocious and annoying that I eventually stopped for a short period until I found a better way to situate all my pc's and monitors. Now I play with a 6 monitor mount that curves which makes things 100x easier.

Have you ever played the game Dragon Ages on xbox? If you can play on the hardest mode with all characters set to manual, that's far more difficult than boxing on EQ. Dragon Ages was my favorite single player game ever, and what really introduced me to what it's like playing multiple characters at the same time in one group.

Generally 6 boxers only mainly play 1 character in their group, and select the other classes based on their ability to be effective with only 1 or 2 buttons.

For example a mage, you will only use 2 in game macros, a pet attack and a nuke/sit.
    /assist main
    /pause 3
    /pet attack

for nuke it's
    /cast 1
    /cast 1
    /cast 1 (you do the multiple /cast 1's to deal with fizzles)
    /pause 47
    /sit

You can set up pretty much any type of caster class in the game to only be played with 1 or 2 buttons, even a shaman can assist/malo/slow and heal the main tank with only 2 in game macro's.

Point is, most 6 box crews operate under playing mainly 1 char, with just hitting 1 button on each pc per mob on the rest of the toons, which is not hard at all. Even with a 6 box crew, you are at max hitting 10 buttons between all your characters combined during a single mob. If you have a hard time hitting 10 buttons every mob, than it's probably a good thing you stuck with EQ. Have you ever played some of the newer style mmorpg's? On some of the more difficult classes on Tera for example, you are hitting upwards of 40+ button presses for abilities on a single mob all while having to maneuver your character to dodge every incoming attack or ability, and that's just playing 1 toon.
  2. Jaay Lorekeeper

You clearly dont know what you are talking about, Cause sending a key click to a character thru a macro on your keyboard isnt cheating, using IS boxer isnt cheating.

Read up before you talk crap,

And AGAIN, if ppl wanna box let them, at the state the game is in currently it would be dead if it wasnt for the boxers, so when you see one, pat them on the back and thank them for making you able to still play the game!
  3. Accipiter Old Timer

I box 5 and it's ridiculously easy. Five computers, no 3rd party software. Easy. No stress.
  4. Accipiter Old Timer

Using IS Boxer on true-box TLPs is cheating and you can get banned for it. Read up before you talk crap.
  5. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Some people multitask well, others don't. The ease or difficulty of boxing will vary depending on the person. I can barely keep track of two accounts at the same time, any more than that would be unworkable. But for somebody else, two is probably no big deal.
  6. Green_Mage Augur

Not all boxers are cheaters...I met a few that aren't myself. Just most of them. Most people are quite willing to through the baby out with the bathwater on this one.
  7. Chatoyan Elder

I'm always a bit confused when people bring up synchronized casting as the key to catching a cheating boxer. It's really not that hard to hit the same keys on multiple keyboards in very quick succession. A better test is watching the group move. How good is the auto-follow? Do all the toons stay bunched up nicely? Do they never get stuck in complex geometries? Do they correctly follow through Z-axis changes (when levitated)?

As someone who 3-boxes without cheating, trying to move through some zones with toons on af is way harder than the actual fighting. Most of the time I'll just run ahead with my mage and coth the other two. The fights are simple enough that I don't even bother with macros to do multiple actions per key press.

On a typical fight, I need a total of 15-20 keypresses:
    SK: 6-8 (terror x 4, pet attack, snare; possible epic clicky and HT for named)
    Sham: 5-6 (assist, pet attack, slow, cripple, HoT; add malo if it gets resisted from mage cast)
    Mage: 4-5 (assist, pet attack, malo, nuke; swarm pets on named)

Believe it or not, it's not that hard to press 20 keys (or less) in the space of a minute or so. Playing just my sk in a group, with a good puller bringing a steady stream of mobs and good dps that are occasionally catching aggro is harder than boxing (and much more mentally taxing).
  8. Green_Mage Augur

It's hard on you to do simple repetitive tasks for hours and it's why Chinese factory workers jump off buildings. Anyone who argues otherwise is suspect imo.
  9. Kahna Augur

EQ is nothing but simple repetitive task for hours on end, regardless of how many characters you play.
    Chatoyan and Starr like this.
  10. Accipiter Old Timer

You've got it backwards. There are some cheaters, sure. Most boxers are not cheating.
  11. Jaay Lorekeeper

Jeez read the whole post perhaps? I stated using macros and/or [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] yes, did I anywhere put in there that I was talking about a truebox server? No I didnt, wake up on the wrong side of the bed did we?
  12. TheBoss New Member

It's okay to box, when it's in the rules. It's practically required to fill vacant spots because this game is designed to punish you for having a bad group comp.

That said,

Cheating boxers are getting very rampant on Coirnav. They press 6 buttons instantly. DBG is not enforcing so it's getting worse. And no, don't tell me you're not cheating, it's super obvious. I've seen KVM setups with plenty of skill involved. And I've seen programs running bots on auto-follow and one-key commands. The community's complaints are extremely valid. DBG could easily pay literally ONE person $15/hour to stop all cheating boxers on TLP by simply viewing them in game. Poor management, poor customer service.
  13. ryokoryu Journeyman

here is the irony of it all, A lot of people went to the TLP servers to get away from boxers and boxing, but to be competitive you pretty much have to box or your always behind the economy. When you are at that disadvantage you feel it constantly. This is exaggerated with the current need all culture and is also a direct cause of said culture. There are plenty of servers that are not meant to cut down on boxing so why do boxers have to come dominate every TLP server. Too much boxing is why I came here int he first place from live servers. Box crews locking down all the camps in a zone with 3+3mercs and almost never let anyone not in their box crew and not a guildie in. Most come in to a new server particularly because they CAN dominate the economy. You either need a pre-made group or a box crew.
  14. ryokoryu Journeyman

Thing is your in a forum about boxers on TLP servers so you kinda walked into that one with your eyes closed.
  15. Elundil New Member

Not all TLP servers are Truebox servers.
    Kattria Minx likes this.
  16. Jaay Lorekeeper

My point exactly...
    Elundil likes this.
  17. Jaay Lorekeeper

You use the word cheating very easially without acctually knowing what you are saying..

Its not hard to setup a 6 team with macros that send keyclicks to the other screens, And that my little friend is not cheating, but telling you that seems pointless since you obviously lack the skills to comprehend how this is done.
  18. Kahna Augur

Yeah, no one here is talking about those servers.
  19. Kahna Augur

But it is cheating on Coirnav, the name of which he definitely stated in his message so you can't really be talking about RF/LJ/Fippy in response to his comment about cheating on Coirnav.

Course, I don't think cheating is rampant on Coirnav and it's really not that hard to press buttons on 5 numberpads fast enough to make it look simultaneous in the game, but that's not the point. The point is why are you hear talking about non truebox servers on a thread that is obviously referring to the most recent server to pop out. A truebox server.
  20. Ilshade Augur

I think a lot of people that complain about the cheat factor is that boxers level faster and usually have better gear.

In reality look at it this way it is a group of 6 players ( no matter boxer or regular people)
    • All need to buy their spells
    • All need equipement
    • All need coin for Krono
    So if you are a boxer or a player you all need the same thing there is no other way about it.
    The difference is TIME
    Boxer doesn't need to LFG - saves TIME
    Boxer doesnt need to roll on loot they get what they need - saves TIME
    Boxer can go to a specific camp for what they need - saves TIME
    Boxer shares all coin and buys for all party members all that it needs for training and spells - saves TIME
    Boxer doesn't have to deal with group antics and loot fights - exp stops - waist of TIME
    Boxer is way ahead of single player by a land slind = so single player says they are CHEATing - NO grow up...or call the waaahmbulance.

I have had single players charm the mob i was fighting - do i get angry nooo - I buff the crap out of the mob for them - MAGIC resist, SOW - then every cleric/ druid buff too..:) just to help them out.