Hunter Achivements

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Yinla, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Any plans to add these to GoD & OoW?

Been collecting tradeskill stuff recently and killed a fair few named while totally destroying lower zones. :rolleyes:

If they are added will the named already killed count towards the achievement?
  2. Stephen51 Augur

Based on previous retro-hunter, journeyman's compass and banestrike achievements, they wont count.
  3. Horyuken Augur

That reminds me, we should get an upgrade to the eyes of wither and decay that go to level 140 and scales based on the amount of hunters complete across Norath!
  4. Annastasya Augur

As i run alts through lower level zones these days, i take note of creatures that i feel should be tagged as RARE that are not, and should be added to the Hunter achievement for that zone. i send a simple /Feedback stating such but i do not know how effective that might be or if anyone even reads those.

i have found a great many obvious omissions, and i can only guess they used some kind of algorithm to produce the hunter achievement lists. There are huge zones in velious, luclin and elsewhere with like 2 listed rare monsters where there are clearly dozens.
  5. Horyuken Augur

The hunter mobs are based off item drops, I believe. When they ran the query they looked to see if the mob dropped an item with stats.
  6. Ngreth Thergn Developer

Yes. (No ETA to give you)
    No. Certain systems have to be set up to track rare mob kills, and they aren't set up. They *CAN* be set up before the Achievements, but it's still a project and easiest done all at once.
    Yes. We had to make a specific decision. It had to be a mob that spawns rarely, has significant loot, and is NOT a quest target. We wanted some specific definition. Not simply " doesn't spawn often."
    ALSO it doesn't count if it simply a long spawn interval (Like Hadden for the fishbone earring).
    There are some exceptions, but that's the general gist.

Your list in a forums post would be nice :) But in the end, we are reasonably happy with the decisions we made.
    Orbital101 and Sumonerr_Tunare like this.
  7. Aurastrider Augur

Honestly if I was trying to go back and knock out old hunter achievements I would want the list to be as short as possible not longer. Not saying I want the lists to be trivial and completed in a day but trying to add these to the already huge list of things to accomplish in game is overwhelming enough as it is. I hope this is something that is kept in mind when creating new hunter achievements because making a zone with to many rares to kill just turns a lot of people away from the whole idea as they see it as an unrewarding venture just to check off boxes on a to do list. I personally enjoy doing old achievements but when I see a zone with dozens of named mobs that I need to kill I usually just move onto the next zone and put that one on the backburner for "some day" knowing that it will probably never happen.
    Critts likes this.
  8. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

A short list doesn’t necessarily mean fast or easy, even for a lower level zone.

I’ve always liked Field of Bone...until it came time to get Hunter of the zone done! Now the memory is sour, gd you Scaled Prowler!
  9. Aurastrider Augur

I agree with that but from a pure visual standpoint seeing some mega list is a little intimidating when you realize this is only one list of hundreds to complete in game.
  10. segap Augur

Why should they waste time adding check boxes to old content? If people enjoy such things, nothing is stopping them from creating their own lists and going back to do it. We're humans, we have the power of imagination. We should not require a game telling us every single thing we can do when it already provides so much that we can if we just use our own brains.
  11. Orbital101 Augur

Im guessing when the Anniversary, Fabled and everything else will be done.

Very little time invested to create old world hunter check boxes for many many and many hrs of pleasure.:rolleyes:

Beside these where implemented mostly for TLP players.

Where is my reward!
  12. Ngreth Thergn Developer

Well... some of the earlier ones were very time intensive... it got faster per expansion... but Original itself took a long time
  13. Act of Valor The Newest Member

I'm actually curious how you filtered what was considered a 'rare' mob for the classic hunter achievements. Did you, the developers, collectively go over each zone and say "yes, that mob was a rare?" Did you consult players or CSRs? Did you do something else? I can imagine if it was solely using the developers memory, I can definitely see why that would have taken such a long time.
  14. Horathmir Elder

Silly Rabbit ... all they had to do was grab the "Dungeon Master's Handbook", "Monster Manuel" and the old coveted "Deities and Demigods" books and flip to the encounter tables for lists. :D [Still have all 3 First Edition books for those]
  15. Ryak Augur

"Oh God, why are there 11 different NPCs named An_Orc_Lord???" is what i am picturing you asking for hours. Let's have a moment of silence for Ngreth's sanity on that one.
  16. Ngreth Thergn Developer

It's those rules we used. Looked for loot. Looked for spawn time. Looked for a placeholder. If first two matched and last was true = rare. Loot couldn't be only quest items.
    It was not an exact science. Sometimes we said. Yeah, we are going to call this rare anyway. Sometimes we "dropped" iconic mobs because they failed 2 of three of the tests. All of the human decisions on it is what took so long.
    Yeah. There was some of that. Some NPC changes were made, but in general we tried to stay hands-off, but some things were so "wrong" we made changes.
  17. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

It is nice when we get to hear some of the rationale on decisions. I realize you can't be spending all your time on it but it is appreciated when it does happen.
    Aurastrider likes this.
  18. Aurastrider Augur

I agree with Corwynh. We really do appreciate or at least I appreciate it when you guys explain the rational behind things or help to answer some of the players questions. Obviously you cant sit at the keyboard all day responding to every "hey dev look over here" thread otherwise you would never get anything accomplished for actual game development. I might not always agree or understand some of the things in game (like the explanation of AC that one went right over my head) but it is nice to have some transparency about things. You guys don't get enough credit from us players for what you accomplish with the amount of resources available to you working with what I can only imagine is not the most efficient or easiest code to utilize for game development.
  19. Act of Valor The Newest Member

That's quite meticulous, thanks for sharing. I would have found it fun, in a strange sense, to go over every zone and label each appropriate mob as a rare or not.
  20. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Speaking of Hunter achievements, I'm ready for my double rare event to start since I changed mains and have to redo all of classic again. Can't wait for that Xorbb grind.