Etiquette

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Morbid, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Morbid Journeyman

I recently returned to EQ after being away for some time. I noticed now that people running into your camp and attacking things, or attacking creatures you are currently fighting, happens a lot more than it used to. Is it still considered rude to do that, or is it just the way things are now?
    Yinla likes this.
  2. RandyLahey Elder

I personally consider it rude for sure, but then again I've been playing since 2000 off and on. I have certainly noticed a lack of people following the unwritten "play nice" rules as of late.

One of my guildies recently was camping something in Lcaenium I think it was. A group from a certain guild came through and just started pulling and killing. When asked, the response he got was "Well, we're doing progression so we can just take the camp since it takes priority." BS response I thought.

Another instance was when I was in Sathir's Tomb just xping my bots. A group comes in (Same guild from the previous instance) and just starts pulling mobs in my camp. Sent tells and OOC's...no response..just kept on pulling. Finally I said fine, I'm killing 5 to your 1 anyways. After about 10 minutes of no mobs for them they left.

I blame millenials :p
    Miss_Jackie and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  3. Gundolin Augur

This is still considered rude behavior. In the higher levels I think it is still pretty rare. I play on the Rathe server and on current content or even a single expansion back I don't see much of this. A lot of people still do a camp check when they enter a zone to try and avoid or at least reduce confusion over claimed camp stealing.

A guild mate of mine had it happen a few weeks ago. He complained to the guild leader of the person who was trying to camp steal, and the guild leader booted him over it. (I doubt it was a first offense).
  4. Aurastrider Augur

I think this is something that primarily plagues the TLP servers but for the most part is a non issue on live. Live servers are made up of players who have been on them for years and have reputations. Its not wise to build a bad reputation with a player base that is rather small and well connected. I am in a small guild but most of the players that I consider friends in game play in large raid guilds. If someone starts to act like a fool they might think it wont matter since they are just messing with someone from some unknown family guild but word gets around quick and they might get black listed from some of the bigger guilds that don't want that kind of drama and poor representation in their guild. Sure you might get the random maverick who does not give a crap about the other players but it usually comes back to bite them in the backside. These same people wonder why nobody responds to their questions in general chat or are willing to help them when they need it. Karma is a you know what. There is enough room on each server to act civil and try to maintain an enjoyable gaming experience for yourself and your fellow players. On the TLP servers a lot of these same people figure they will just spin up a new set of toons when the next server launches so they don't really give a darn who they tick off because they will just create more toons with different names and nobody will know who they are until they are to powerful to care.
  5. Tatanka Joe Schmo

QFT. I haven't seen this in years, probably a decade.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare, Quatr and Sheex like this.
  6. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

^ this.

Spend a few hours on TLP and you’ll experience it. Overcrowding mixed with krono farming greed mixed with no play nice policy mixed with “dps races” mixed with virtually no enforcement of any rules at all just encourages people to be dicks and try to take whatever they want.

See some mobs you want to kill? Train anyone nearby and it’s yours! Can’t kill those players off via train? Bring in dps and wait till they spawn something, then “dps race” them! Got what you wanted for your toon(s)? Keep monopolizing what you can and farm dat krono.

The good news is, this kind of crap is virtually non existent on Live servers in comparison, but I guess for some people the nostalgia and/or profits outweigh basic human decency.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Maedhros like this.
  7. svann Augur

Filching from your camp is a no-no, so long as you arent claiming half the zone as your camp.
    And if you are camping a name that has spaced out ph's (not directly in front of you) you are required to answer /ooc camp checks or else you relinquish all rights.

edit: and you gotta be actively camping. Cant afk a half hour and expect people to let you keep the camp.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Maedhros like this.
  8. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Taking mobs from someone's camp is rude and will definitely get you on the bad list.

However, if someone is doing a quest and the only way for them to proceed is to kill mobs that you are only killing for xp or named hunting, then they have the right to ask you to let them, and you have the responsibility to let them. Naturally, you have the right to any named that spawns, assuming it is not needed for the quest.

In other words, don't camp quest mobs unless you are prepared to allow people doing the quest to kill them. For all other times, your camp should be yours.
    Quiverr, fransisco, moogs and 5 others like this.
  9. Jaay Lorekeeper

its a kill or get killed world out there, no time to be all friendly and girly!

Be a man and take what you want and kill whoever tries to steal from you!
  10. Sissruukk Rogue One

"To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

In all honesty, though, kill stealing is generally frowned upon. Even if the mob is something you need, you should ask to kill it first before just moving in and taking it from someone else camping the spot.
  11. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

This mainly occurs on TLP servers but I think the behavior there spills over to the Live servers a bit. At least it is the only explanation I have as to why it happens a "bit" more now on Live servers. I have seem a small upsurge of this behavior on the server I play on but I suspect people who get used to carrying out the bad behavior on TLP servers are the few doing it on Live servers.
    Maedhros likes this.
  12. Siddar Augur

This board needs more snark and less vak.

That about the only advice etiquette I have to offer.
  13. Bigstomp Augur

Are you on a TLP or a live server.

Most people on live servers seem to be adults/good people/ect.

I have not played on a TLP server but I have heard horror stories.
  14. Sagarmatha Augur

THERE IS NO SUCH THING as a "camp." Daybreak has been very clear on this. Trying to "camp" the entire bottom of Guk? Sorry, prepare to get butt hurt when someone else kills a single mob or a group sets up in a corner. A lot of this whining is over mobs that "belong" to someone's "camp."

It doesn't work that way, little Timmy.
  15. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Well, Daybreak doesn't play (other issues should make that obvious ;)

For those of us who play, yes, they do exist, and we get along fine following that custom.
    Gyurika Godofwar, Koryu and Yinla like this.
  16. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Yes there are "camps". The players have been very very clear on this.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Yinla like this.
  17. xcitng Augur

if the camp isn't disrupting the whole zone it is a camp, if it is a greedy whoever taking whole zones it is wrong, and not a camp ... there is a big difference
    Gundolin and Yinla like this.
  18. slayerofbats Augur

Bear in mind that people might not even spot you. It is one thing to walk into a room and see a guy sitting there, and go steal mobs in front of him. And it is another very different thing to be running around a huge outdoor zone looking for spiders to kill or something and not spot someone sitting out the way in the corner, pretending they claimed that whole area.
  19. Dewey Augur

I've seen it both ways. I've seen it where I went to a zone and didn't see anyone. Then I set up camp, got a tell a few minutes later stating that I should leave and I was stealing another person's camp. I wasn't killing named(Nor did we have the power to even kill a named there) I was just killing for TS stuff and our kill rate was slow. I moved, but I was very upset at the I own the whole zone type mentality. It was in the Overthere and I was more than 2 hills away from the guy.

Then I've seen it where I was in an old zone. Killing for a drop. Another bard came in and just started killing. I asked if he wanted a tell when I was done. He stated that he was almost done and that I should wait on him. I got tired of fighting over mobs so I just let him finish up before killing again.

Some people are rude. No clue on what to do about them except /ignore
  20. Drogba Augur

I like to think I apply a certain extent of patience & respect to the situation. If a group can actually keep down every named in a zone, and is actively doing that, then i respect that, and hunt elsewhere.

If someone claims 6 named, I will respect that IF they are keeping all 6 phs down (a few minutes late to a ph is excusable imo). IF in practice, they are not keeping all the claimed mobs down for 90% of the time (biting off more than they can chew) then I consider them to be liars, and take what i want from them. Now if they were to send me a tell saying that they wiped or something, thus the delay, i would accept their word, unless it is repeatedly the scenario.

If someone attempts to take any mob that i am actively camping, i first send the invader messages telling them that i am camping it, depending on how that conversation goes, depending on whether they basically flip me the bird and tell me that they are taking it, then they are fair game in my eyes, and will be trained with a furious vengeance.

When i receive nasty tells regarding mobs that groups are camping that i was unaware of, e.g. (we"ve been camping that mob u just killed for 2 hours) I will give them the benefit of the doubt, and back off, though i might watch them to make sure that they are actually actively camping it. Being afk for half an hour with the ph up is not actively camping a mob, and in that scenario, i will not accept their words, i will take the camp for myself. I might make an exception in good faith, if they say they have been camping it for hours and just took a little break, maybe. Whether to take mercy in that situation is up to me, in my opinion.

That"s my mindset and code of honor regarding camping, and probably similar for many other players. I feel it is very important to give the opposing force the benefit of any doubt, or you risk being the bad guy as a result of your cynicism.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.