Back again - options

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by aindriuc, Mar 23, 2018.

1. bigpapa Augur

is aindriuc your toon name in firiona vie? I might have some free stuff for you.i already gave away many items but I think I got some more left.
  2. Traxxen New Member

Wow, really?!?!?! I literally just came back after a 15 year hiatus, and fired up my oldschool toons on Tunare. Problem is, I have no idea where to begin.. How do I claim vet rewards? What are these things called Mercenaries, and how do I use them? Etc, etc. It's really an overwhelming feeling when you joined in vanilla, and left at the end of Scars of Velious :eek: I've played on Shards of Dalaya, and some emulators, but missed the oldschool true EQ experience, and my old characters.
  3. Quatr Augur

The standard recommendation is to create a new character (doesn't matter which server), go through the Tutorial and read the walls of text that will be thrown at you. The Tutorial quests will walk you through the process of hiring mercenaries (mercs), using your first AA (alternative advancement) at level 5 and so on.
  4. bigpapa Augur

he already close to level 110 and there are so much benefit to be in FV , permanent 50 % xp rock, specially when being a returning players who need to grind many levels, and aa's.

we can see many players playing more than as usual when we have a weekend or more bonus 50 % xp ( double xp ), in FV it's always 50 % more and bonus xp just adding.

I helped so many players there, ( FV ) with gears that I didn't need or any desire to sell in bazaar, that I gave away. I couldn t do that in other live servers where most of the items are no trade .

there was a guild as well in FV who was recruiting players from any level , dunno if they still do ,

( I got my main toon in rathe to raid there ) and didn t log in FV since a month or so tho ),

I play in rathe since 1999, but if I had to choose only one server to play it would be FV.
  5. Aurastrider Augur

As others have suggested start with a fresh toon and run them through the tutorial. You don't necessarily have to play this new toon and ditch your old toons but doing the tutorial at least once if not a couple of times is very important. It will explain to you many of the new features that are available in game that were not around when you last played. These features are huge QOL improvements and will make your gaming experience much better if you understand them imo.

When you log into a toon you should see a yellow message on your chat screen that say's "you have available veteran rewards for this character" or something to that effect. Its been a while since I claimed any but I believe its /vetreward. Don't claim these until you are sure you are going to play that toon though as you can only claim one toon per year based on account age and if you delete a toon that has claimed them you don't get it refunded. So if your account is 5 years old you can claim a max of 5 toons until your account is 6 years old and then you can claim a 6th toon and so on.

Mercenaries are covered in the tutorial zone I believe but if you go to POK there are several mercenary npc's that you can go to and hire a merc. When you click on them you will have options depending on your account status. FTP and silver will only have apprentice mercs available to them while all access (gold) will have both apprentice and journeyman mercs available to them. Journeyman or J1-J5 mercs are better than the apprentice or A1-A5 mercs. Even a J1 is better than an A5 so keep that in mind. You will also have four classes to pick from to assist you. Tank, healer, caster dps (wizard) and melee dps (rogue).

http://www.eqmaps.info/ is a good site to download maps I believe. You will want to download these before you enter the game. Once in game you can hit M to bring up maps. There is a find feature which is on the actions box. When you select this it will list npc's and zone destinations. It should make a beam of light leading you to your destination. In some cases you will get a message "your destination can't be found easily" or something to this effect. Usually this means the zone you are trying to find is accessed via an npc or an object. If you look on your map after using the find feature it should place a red x on the map in case the beam of light does not show up to guide you.

The EQ button has a drop down with lots of different options within it. I would play around with it so you can see the different features and functions within it. Things like extra hotbars and target windows can be found here along with achievements windows and lots more.

If you click on the top part of a chat window you can bring down an options box that will allow you to create another chat window. It will also allow you to set filters so you can have tells, group, guild, /ooc, and general chat go into one chat box and filter all of your combat spam into another chat box for example.

Lastly search online for everquest macro's. There are lots of good pages out there with some helpful macros that you can utilize in game. A lot of them will explain to you how to make macro's also in case this is foreign to you. Check out zam, eqresources, raidloot.com, fanra, almar's guides, eqtraders and I am sure I am missing some as I just finished a weeks worth of 12 hour shifts and am running on fumes.

As always feel free to ask questions and do a search on Tunare for auranecrotile my sk. If you need some low level gear I might have something collecting dust that could be of use to you. Good luck and welcome back.
    Daenur, Traxxen, Quatr and 1 other person like this.
  6. Traxxen New Member

Awesome post. Thanks for taking the time to type out all that, it's very useful!
  7. Aurastrider Augur

I am always glad to help. I don't have the in game playing time I use to have to help the player base so I have to contribute more on the forums since I can afk here whenever I want and I can play forumquest from my phone. If you have more questions or need a further explanation of things that don't make sense please feel free to ask. There are lots of very helpful people on here that really do want you to enjoy your EQ experience and go from a new/returning player to a current player.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  8. TimeIzMonies New Member

I just logged on for the first time (I've never played the game) I'm pretty over whelmed. If there is some discord for EQ players can some please link me?
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  9. IblisTheMage Augur

Hi, if you make a new thread, we can guide you through the issues you might have :)

Welcome to The Greatest Game Ever Made!
  10. slayerofbats Augur

When you first log in, forget about actually doing anything, just focus on getting everything set up how you like it. Start with graphics and sound settings and make it look as good as your computer can cope with. Then look at some of the other options in the options screens and see if there is anything that suits you. Also change the keys so it works how you want to control the character. For example if WASD are the direction controls, you can move things like Auto Attack and "Consider" and important commands to be on nearby keys like Q, E, F. (R is already for replying when someone sends you a message). I have "Hail" on my Q key, and F is my auto attack. C is my crouch, and V is my auto run. I changed TAB to be target nearest enemy, and some other stuff. It is more fun to play with controls you like.

Next step is to adjust your entire screen layout. All the boxes and health bars, hotkeys, chat windows etc, everything can be moved and adjusted. Right click them and unlock and then move to where you want it, and then right click again and lock it in place. You can also make them transparent, either all the time or make them go dark when you mouse over them. Setup your hotkeys and make multiple chat windows. Everyone should have at least 2 chat windows, one with all the combat stuff in, and the other with just chat stuff in.

After you did all this, type /camp and wait 30 seconds to log out of the game. This will save the settings so it will be the same every time you come back. Now you can log back in and focus on playing and enjoying it, do the newbie tutorial that actually goes through a lot of levels and will teach you a lot. Ask any questions in the newbie chat channel (type /1 and then type whatever you want) or make a thread on the forum. It is a huge game but you learn as you play. Starting can be a pain because you have to spend like half an hour just changing all these settings, but you only have to do it once! :)
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  11. IblisTheMage Augur

Good one, Slayerofbats.