What is the purpose of a Truebox server?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Time Burn, Apr 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sturn Augur

Also doesn't "boxing" literally mean "using another box (computer) to play another toon at the same time"? That was the original meaning and it only morphed later on to just mean playing more than one toon at a time on one or more "boxes". So saying that boxing is bannable on a server is totally inaccurate when going with the original and literal meaning of "boxing".
  2. Accipiter Old Timer

Edit: Too harsh. Let me try again.

Others have already pointed out the potentially confusing parts of your statement.
  3. Jaime Lannister Augur

Do you have a list of server firsts that were killed by boxers?

Large 1-2 man raids of 30+ toons were used to killed raid targets. But it was almost always targets that the main guilds didn't care much about. Talking Innoruuk, Gorenaire, Vindicator in Velious etc.
    Boxers were not getting server firsts or highly contested raid targets from any actual guilds except on the rarest occasion where a target spawned at off hours.

Don't talk out your butt.
  4. Silinius Augur

This^^

To be clear, the first Naggy and Vox kills on Lockjaw and Ragefire were mainly boxer type kills. Though I'd caution the community on this and stipulate that this was before Mitigation of the Mighty and Mark of the Old Ways or whatever it's called. Both dragons had 30K HP and diminishing returns for mage pets was not a thing back then. Now it is and you will be hard pressed to "pet wall" stuff down. Further, even if you did run a legit "raid force" from a single computer, mechanics in later expansions make it infinitely more difficult to down anything beyond VT/PoP with 1-2 people controlling an army of 72+ characters.

If you don't believe me, go roll up 40+ characters on Lockjaw or RageFire and and try to go do much of anything in Gates of Discord with half naked mages and necros and let me know how that works out for you.
  5. Kahna Augur

I distinctly remember being at a Naggy kill, one of the first when we were all low level, that was killed by a mass boxer, it wasn't just by a mass boxer, but his raid did out DPS the raid of real people. This thread is about "the point of truebox" True Box came about due to the backlash from mass boxers in the early days of RF/LJ. No one said anything about RF/LJ now, and true-box isn't the only change that came about because of the mass exodus from RF/LJ, but it is one of the drivers for true-box on every subsequent server.
    Risiko likes this.
  6. Kahna Augur

Pretty sure Besteva got the server first on Inny on Lockjaw. He was the only one who could get up there at the time and it was before MOTM. I could be wrong though. Gonna guess the fact that massive boxers were killing raid targets at all is a strong reason for True Box
  7. nagash101 Augur

You have ZERO way of knowing for sure that he/she was playing all 8 - 9 character. If it was a few boxers playing all those character, why do you even care.
  8. Sturn Augur

Makes for a better story to say one person was boxing them all...
    Adrienna likes this.
  9. Hateseeker Augur

This is a significant problem on this forum, there's always a shadow of doubt about what people mean. The preponderance of the community defines "Boxing" as simply "playing more than one account at the same time by one player". However, the issues being discussed always require further clarification than that, and yes, it's true that many players do not clarify further than that. It's not reassuring to see Daybreak not clarifying either.

and how many servers where boxing via third party programs and playing on same PC via VMs is forbidden, receive manual GM investigation support in order to catch those that the automated systems don't catch? Do they really believe the automated enforcement stops it all?

More importantly, why can't they simply stop the 3rd party programs on all TLP (who cares about Live when even quest tasks are instanced), and leave it there? You know, I do not recall Daybreak directly soliciting feedback about the Truebox server concept and how it should be done; instead they were launched on a take it or leave it basis. More likely they just absorbed all the feedback over time and thought this was the best way to proceed, but as we see, half the time no one here really knows what anyone is truly talking about, and as far as I can remember Daybreak has never been willing to engage in two way discussion on the topic, which certainly doesn't help reduce the confusion.

10. Silvara Elder

You're asking why DBG can't stop people using VMs and third party software on a 20 year old game. The code is OLD. There are literally no devs left from original EQ and the current ones have even admitted that much of the spaghetti coding is a mystery to them. Furthermore, the base coding in place makes certain things almost impossible to change. Things which third party software exploits. You want an example of how certain base coding makes changes impossible? Look at World of Warcraft's original backpack slot. It took them 14 years to figure out a way to make it bigger, and even then all they could do was increase it by 4 slots and it came with a slew of side effect bugs.

Bottom line, it would require a massive amount of time, resources and $$$ to implement more sophisticated cheating tracking on such an aging game. It would require changing base code which I doubt any current dev has the balls to mess with (I don't blame them). Because of many exploitable issues being part of the base code, it's almost guaranteed that any massive changes they make will have further unintended trickle down changes which could be more problematic than the original issue they were trying to solve.
  11. Accipiter Old Timer

Probably because they already let that particular genie out of the bottle on Ragefire/Lockjaw and there's no (viable) way to put it back in.
  12. Nolrog Augur

When I was on Ragefire, I ran into some people that were boxing 20 or 25 characters. So that was a problem, yes.
  13. Nolrog Augur

You have taken that well out of context. Boxing, playing multiple characters on the same computer at the same time is bannable, True Boxing is not.
  14. Machentoo Augur

Err, what?

You might want to go back and check on this one... From the Coirnav server faq:

Boxing is fine as long as you are using multiple computers, and to say otherwise is just going to add fuel to the dumpster fire here.
  15. Nolrog Augur

That's what she meant clearly. She just phrased it in a confusing way.
  16. Numiko Augur

On True Box Servers this is Good Boxing:

[IMG]

and this is Bad Boxing:

[IMG]

and this is what happens when you play EQ way to much:

[IMG]
  17. UnjustBannedAtabishi Journeyman

18. an_ogre_monk00 Elder

Ogre never see foodperson 12-box 4chan until dis day.

Ogre walk away now. Need time. Ogre not sure can handle.
  19. smash Augur

Solution on that, get some earth to cover all those things, flatten it out and can start it out again. If thats too great a hassle, get 10 litre of gas, burn the gas and othet stuff will follow.

Next time, get an apartment on first floor and make a hole down where you can drop all your garbage.

Otherwise my word is just:YUCK!!!!!
    Time Burn likes this.
  20. Time Burn Augur

To address your first question:
    When 6 mages and all other characters always move/engage within a split second of each other and begin nuking, pet attack etc, I'm going to totally get WILD here and say it's a box. Can you grasp the concept there?
    To address your second question:
    I don't like a server where HG in rathe are farmed by mage boxes, it floods the game economy with far more plat than single boxers typically accrue through normal game play for themselves. This means a single boxer (and everyone else) ends up competing with krono buyers for items. I want to earn what I get in game, not compete with krono buyers.
    I don't like to have to ask a box group to drop a box for an invite to a group task - because they don't want to do it.
    I could go on and on, but lets face it, you don't care. I'm guessing you really are just posturing for boxers like yourself.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.