What is the purpose of a Truebox server?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Time Burn, Apr 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Time Burn Augur

Is it to encourage grouping? My Phinnegal guild is mainly box crews. On Coirnav, I was just ksed by an 8-9 box one man team.
  2. MaxTheLion Augur

It minimizes the chance of 1 person being an entire raid.
  3. an_ogre_monk00 Elder

4. Time Burn Augur

Was that a big problem or something?
    I thought it was to encourage people grouping per Daybreak:
  5. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

If you had been grouped with 8-9 real players, you'd of beat that box team.
  6. jeskola pheerie

yes, on Ragefire in Classic, large-scale 1-man groups (like 30+ mages i think?) were getting server first raid kills, etc. Truebox was created to cut down on this type of thing, not to eliminate all boxing.

the sales pitch is that it will also encourage more grouping and cut a small percentage of small-scale boxers out.
  7. Time Burn Augur

Well, I wasn't - but that really has nothing to do with the post, now does it?
  8. Machentoo Augur

You seem to be reading the word "require" where they actually said "encourage."
  9. Risiko Augur

The point of a true box server is to eliminate the box "ARMIES" that were running rampant on the Ragefire server.

I think the thing that people don't realize that weren't there to see it happening on Ragefire is that there literally were full raid forces being ran by single individuals on that server. It was insane. You think that seeing a 6 box run by you is annoying on Coirnav, you haven't seen anything till you see a 40 man run by you.

Box armies were rampant on Ragefire.

True box was DBG's way of eliminating that because it caused a lot of people to quit Ragefire early on. Nobody wanted to be bested by a single person playing his/her own guild on one computer.
  10. Hateseeker Augur

Wouldn't it have made more sense to make a server where they disallow the third party programs used to control those one player raids and still allow multiple accounts per PC? TrueBox might discourage one man raids but by requiring one PC per account they also eliminate or reduce the *harmless boxers too. Not totally of course; many players will still use one extra PC so they have their cleric/enc/shm box or whatever, but those players might have still boxed 4-5 characters if they could do it from their same PC. In other words truebox accomplishes the goal of discouraging one player armies but it also reduces their revenue even more than was necessary by also making it harder for the 3-6 boxers that just don't want to spend 2 hours per night begging for groups like we did in the old days.

*Harmless meaning those that don't take camps or forcibly content-block others. And, the idea that people are going to magically group because of boxing restrictions is....optimistic. I'm sure the increase in grouping is greater than 0%, but anyone imagining some utopia where everyone just groups up smoothly is dreaming.
    Uumdano likes this.
  11. Risiko Augur

If it was up to me, I would have banned the use of those 3rd party applications, and left it at that, but it was not up to me.

I don't believe that true box rule set encourages grouping. The only thing it does is lower the number of box armies there are on the server.

My idea of the ideal TLP server rule set would be:
    • 3rd party character-automation software is not permitted and actively patrolled
    • Boxing allowed on a single computer
    • Phinigel AoC rules
    • Agnarr experience rate
    • Picks stay open with minimum of 4 characters in the zone (allows for finding group member replacements with out losing the pick)
    • All raid key quest items drop from raid mobs (no ground spawns)
    • Sleepers Tomb has 2 versions requestable from AoC (pre-Awakening and post-Awakening)
    That's just my 2cp.
    slayerofbats, Uumdano and Time Burn like this.
  12. Hateseeker Augur

I know they did, and I know it may not be 100% effective, but the key word was disable those programs and still allow boxing on the same PC.
  13. Roxxlyy Augur

True box servers are meant to encourage players to group up with friends (and/or make new friends!) instead of just plowing through the game with a group of alts upon alts. Boxing (while making sure to follow the ToS) is generally fine on servers that do not have the "true box" ruleset, but it is a bannable offense on true box servers such as Coirnav and Phinigel.
  14. Accipiter Old Timer

Those programs aren't allowed on True Box servers. Are they being used anyway? Maybe. Is it rampant? I don't think so.
  15. Accipiter Old Timer

Now you've done it. Boxing isn't a bannable offense on any server. Botting is. You've just committed the cardinal sin. Now the anti-boxers will be quoting you, the official representative of DBG.
    Adrienna likes this.
  16. Roxxlyy Augur

I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here; what I said was correct. From the Coirnav Progression Server FAQ:

17. Death Strudel Augur

<sigh>

Between your edits and clarifications, you have found defensible ground. But you can just be really blunt:

"Boxing" as used in common parlance is playing multiple accounts at once. You may do this on one PC, or you may do this on multiple PCs. On true-box servers you must NOT use one PC or get banned.

There are 0 servers where boxing is strictly forbidden. Being anything less than brutally straight-forward ensures that these boards will be filled with boxing posts for at least the next month.
    Adrienna, HappyPanda and Roxxlyy like this.
  18. Sturn Augur

So in other words boxing isn't a bannable offense as long as you "true box". In other words, there isn't a single server where you can get banned just for boxing.
  19. Kahna Augur

I think the problem is that you are using the phrase boxing to mean playing more than one character on one computer while the community just sees the definition as playing more than one character, without regard to how many computers you use.
  20. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

You have to include the "from the same computer" clause in any statement about boxing on True Box servers otherwise people run around claiming that DBG said any boxing on True Box is wrong. Then we have to point out how they are stupid, and people hate being told that, especially when it's true.
    Adrienna likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.