You don't really hate boxers

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by snailish, Apr 4, 2018.

1. snailish Augur

You might think you hate boxers, but you don't.

-You may hate someone taking a named spawn for its tradable loot repeatedly. But that is actually farmers that you hate, and if you dig deeper it is the fact that the loot is tradable that makes the camp appealing to the farmer. Very few things in EQ are worth sitting on to sell loot rights because that ties you up way more than tradable items.

-You may hate someone taking a camp or multiple camps. But they don't have to be a boxer to do that, they just need to kill harder than you. Zones like Lower Guk would have more camps if they were harder. So you actually either want much faster respawns in most zones, player DPS (including charmed pets) tuned way down, NPC difficulty ramped up or a combination of the three. As well, higher level players won't be interested near as much in trivial zones if the loot was all nodrop, and/or the coin & vendor trash wasn't lucractive (looking at you Hill Giants) and if a better source of tradeskill mats (i.e., higher quantity of drops) was put on higher level content.

-You may resent not being invited to a boxed group. But a non-boxed group can exclude you as well. Make friends with a boxer and they probably are happy to bench one of the boxes to let you in. Sure, some boxers are unfriendly... so are some single account players.

-You should like that boxers pay for multiple accounts. Many boxers are big consumers in the economy. If you tradeskill a fair slice of your customers are probably boxers. If you sell in baz... you benefit from the boxers.

-The problem isn't boxers. It's boxer hate and some bad (for the community) players. Some of the bad players box, some don't.

By the way, I don't box. Tried it once and was terrible at it. I respect those that can do it well.
    Ilshade, Chatoyan, moogs and 5 others like this.
  2. moogs Augur

Logical posts made in the TLP section? Somebody call the forum police.
  3. Febb Augur

Those that hate boxers that hold down camps and drive up the price of items, if it wasn't a boxer doing it, someone else would do it regardless. It's supply and demand in a MMO. I remember back when Velious was current a necro from the top guild that would hold down Lodizal when it spawned and would train anyone that tried to kill it. They would jack up the prices on the boots and shield because of it. Other members of the same guild would hold down other named as well.
    snailish likes this.
  4. Bandzamakeherdance Elder

Or maybe, just maybe. People hate boxers in addition to all of these things.
    Time Burn and Gnickel like this.
  5. ShivanAngel Augur

Me and my brother both two box... Im sure the 2 dps random dps that we grab when we start exping really hate the fact that we box.

I mean if it was me I would MUCH rather sit in LFG for hours then be invited to a group with a few boxes in it.
  6. Death Strudel Augur

While boxers had long been considered a solution to male infertility, studies have been done which show that the difference in temperature is not likely to impact spermatogenesis (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9751347)

It turns out it's really just a matter of preference, and not the underlying cause of any real concerns.
    moogs likes this.
  7. Shredd Augur

As most know, I do not box due to I am horrid at it. . but I am thinking once again of learning it due to the fact MY SHAMAN DOTS WERE NERFED. Sorry, had to get that out. But, I can no longer Molo names in older expansion, so time to learn to box. This will mean more money to Daybreak. . . OH now I know why my Dots were nerfed.
  8. Krezzy Augur

I don't agree. Individual players might hold down camps, but full boxed groups of six would not. 1-2 player camps of Efreeti, Chancellor Di`Zok, or other farms would be far more at the mercy of full groups moving in to DPS race them.

In the end, though, I'm okay with the idea of someone boxing EQ. (Although for the life of me, I can't imagine it being fun.) It's the monopolization of content, just as snailish stated in the original post.
  9. Darchias Augur

Speaking as someone who tradeskills extensively, can confirm that boxers are good for business. Magran, who some of you may be familiar with, made nearly a hundred krono over Agnarr's life cycle just by selling Researched spells, and a huge amount of his customers were boxers who wanted to kit out their mage, enchanter, and necro boxes.
  10. Karanthal Augur

Are there really still single account players out there after 20 years? Anyone still around is surely addicted enough to play 2-3 accounts for when they need the extra firepower for raids or individual quests.
  11. Candystore Augur

You're painting a dishonest picture that doesn't match what really happens in the game.

Go up to a 6 boxer and ask them to drop their boxed alts to let single players in the group, and you'll very likely get a big fat "no" in reply.

Ask a 6 boxer this at a loot camp and with some luck you'll get trained on top of it.
    Time Burn likes this.
  12. Talonthalis Elder

Perhaps it's not boxers that are hated but bot teams of boxed accounts? Sure someone who runs multiple toons at once may be hard to compete with for a camp but that individual can't be online all the time, right?
  13. Green_Mage Augur

No.

Someone would not camp Efreeti with 5 other people all day for months to split the profits 6 ways...

There would always be people at the camp, but those would be groups that need replacements and don't always hold down the camp like professional. So even if someone did obsessively camp -- it wouldn't matter that much.

Individual players are also more dependent on the community -- where a 6 boxer (and to a lesser degree 2-3 boxers) is largely independent and not bothered the "multi-player" aspect of this Multi-player game.

I hate boxing. Not people camping stuff.
  14. RandomStrategy Augur

How were shaman dots nerfed? I have not noticed a difference since the boost back in the day.

Still doing about 1k dmg per tick with Scourge of Nife/Pox of Bertoxx Combo.

Unless you're talking about a higher expansion than what Agnarr's on atm :p

Was it just higher than 65 dots?
    Poledo_EQ likes this.
  15. Krezzy Augur

I'm surprised anyone would think this. I have a very different impression. Maybe 1 in 5 players I regularly speak to uses a box.
  16. Green_Mage Augur

Really? I thought DBG would 100% broke if they did anything but bend over backwards to accommodate boxers play style and everyone loves boxing. Haven't you heard?
  17. Poledo_EQ Elder

That was on live I thought. Shouldn't be affecting us.
  18. Febb Augur

Yes someone would camp those spawns with 5 other people. Guilds do this all the time to fund their guild needs. They swap people out as they get tired of being in the same camp.
    snailish likes this.
  19. an_ogre_monk00 Elder

Tonight Ogre dine on hamburger.

[IMG]
    snailish and moogs like this.
  20. Accipiter Old Timer

Let me see if I have this correct... you group with non-boxers, usually 5 at a time. You speak to 1 boxer for ever 5 non-boxers you speak to. Therefore 1 in 5 EQ players are boxers. You can see the flaw in the logic here, right?