Berserker or Warrior?

Discussion in 'Melee' started by ceto, Apr 2, 2018.

1. ceto Elder

Hi folks,

I'm looking to molo level a melee character, both warrior and berserker sound pretty interesting, which of these two classes would I have an easier time with?

I'm planning to run with a cleric merc for buffs, and switch to a wizard merc for fighting, if that helps.

Thanks!
  2. Tucoh Augur

Between a war and a berserker, the warrior will molo better with a cleric merc. But you'll have to keep up with gear and AAs in order to be strong enough to use dual wield for OK DPS while you do it.

Neither class will be that strong in a molo situation. If you really want to player either of those classes I'd recommend 2boxing or 3boxing. If you really want to molo a melee-type class I'd look into a beastlord. Beastlords are kind of like berserkers in that they are lightly armored with a bunch of similar abilities, but they have a pet that can tank while you deal the damage.
    moogs likes this.
  3. moogs Augur

I think my berserker is up around 75 and he has done the whole thing molo. Haven't run into a wall yet and it's been pretty fun. This is with Auto Grant enabled.
  4. Sakuraba Augur

Wonder if it would be repeatable without Autogrant on lol. Rolled a new Zerker on Bristlebane for a fresh start, but since I'm not All Access atm, won't be seeing Autogrant for awhile. I imagine up into the 50s would work, but anything past that would be terror lol.
  5. moogs Augur

I buffed myself (cleric, shaman, druid, enchanter) before heading out and I used normal vendor potions - RIP potion belt :( - as well as rogue poisons, damage shield potions, and whatever else. Of course I was in a full set of the appropriate defiant gear. On the flip side, I made this character just to goof off while I was traveling. So I had my work laptop. No external monitor (15.6" is a far cry from the 30" I'm accustomed to at home), no keyboard...probably not even a mouse but to be honest I don't recall.

You will need to be a little bit more careful with where you decide to camp, and a little bit more patient with the XP. Howling Stones is one of my favorite zones from 40-60. The Hole gives pretty good XP from 50-65. Stick to classic or Kunark era dungeons, where there's decent mob density but low mob HP and attack. Guk or Seb are probably still great, maybe Veksar. In Luclin, Grieg's End is awesome in the low 50s. Gunthak, Dulak, then Nadox will be good from 35-55. Plane of Innovation is a favorite until about 60...so many options.

That's my old server and it's highly populated with excellent people, so you should be able to make decent progress. I'd be curious to receive updates as you go along.
  6. Sakuraba Augur

Yeah, my old Ranger who I've kinda gave up on learned the hard way not to tangle with newer expac mobs solo, let alone molo'ing lol. Gonna be interesting for me too, because I'm used to having at least some form of spell support. Leg Strike abuse is going to be interesting, just wish I had a stronger merc to work with than App V -- the tank is oddly horrible prior to lv10, just hit 11 this morning after finally getting out of the tutorial with a Cleric merc.

Didn't even realize I had Frenzy until level 8 though, probably would have been faster had I noticed that whenever it unlocked lol.
  7. moogs Augur

At about level 24-33, I highly, highly, highly recommend slaughtering the moonwhisker and silverfur rats in the north central part of Blightfire Moors. You'll level every 5-10 minutes.
  8. Sakuraba Augur

Oh, nice. That's the gap I've always had a bit of a problem with; once I finish the Bears/Gnolls/Skeletons in CR, I move to Gnolls in BfM till about 25 and then scratch my head unless I'm playing a pure caster (Wizard with All Access and my old Gnome Mage did Wasps @ 25).

Doesn't seem to work as well for hybrids or pure melees without some friends, and even less so on a silver membership.
  9. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

As a non-tank class who will have to be the tank in your molo, you will have to pick hunting spots carefully. This doesn't start to matter much until the late 50's or 60's though. There can be a huge difference in difficulty between the expansions. For example, my Rogue (similar chain wearing non-tank class), in armor from House of Thule at level 83, couldn't tank light blue mobs in Seeds of Destruction, even with a J5 healer merc. However, going back one expansion to Secrets of Faydwer, he could tank up to 3 blues without much worry and could even tank white con nameds. That made the difference between feeling like moloing wasn't possible, and feeling like it was worthwhile and fun to do.
    moogs likes this.
  10. moogs Augur

Yep. SoD expansion gear was about 500 hp per slot while SoF expansion gear was about 250 hp per slot. Content is tuned accordingly. General rule is if you're having a hard time just go back an expansion or two.
  11. Sakuraba Augur

Makes sense lol, feels fun to actually have to pay attention to details while leveling though. Been on WoW too much lately, even the 7.3.5 changes only slightly changed the difficulties there.
  12. Sakuraba Augur

For some reason I seem to have a hard time staying away from FV...lol.

Re-rolled the guy over there.