Back again - options

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by aindriuc, Mar 23, 2018.

1. IblisTheMage Augur

I am leveling a toon atm, and while it goes fast, I can’t obtain that speed with my current approach.

Any tips? :)

Thanks in advance...
  2. Aurastrider Augur

The only other person I know that does it this fast does it in Droga. He has basically two full groups though as he plays with his sister and they both box enough to make two groups. Having a tank main which he plays and an enchanter which she controls they basically can keep mobs flowing. Basically they are killing something at every moment without any down time. This is less than ideal for most configurations but if you can handle one of the T2 zones and kill at a steady rate this might be better for you. I know I certainly cant take on the numbers he was doing (about 200 mobs/hr if I remember correctly). I am pushing about 150-160 goblins/hr in FM for example so the fact that he is doing 25% more mobs than me in a T2 zone speaks volumes.
  3. Bigstomp Augur

Depends very heavily on the group and what it's doing. If for example an 85 joined me, I'd be killing in a place that was easy for me (or I wouldn't dream of taking an 85) so I'm probably farming something, so I'm killing large counts of mobs quickly. So 85-95 or even 100 would likely fly by.
    I'm not sure after that, but by 100 you'd be a productive member of a group potentially so options really open up.
  4. Vaeeldar Augur

This

This. Here's the thing 85-100 should be done in old zones. Basically what I do is either group the char with the tank (sk or the necro) and then go to town in massive pulls like city of bronze, sepulcher etc.. but the concept is only one 110 grouped with the low level in a zone that is easy but very red to them.

Usually at 95 or so I move to ethmere karana which takes me to 101/102 pretty quick. At that point I just move to FM and grup with the whole box team (frankly those levels fly by and those mobs are SOO easy these days).

Now keep in mind I Have a grup gear tank who buffs to 6500/6600 ac and almost 260-270k hp if without cleric aura (almost 300k with). I also dedicate half of my 5 box team to keeping the tank alive on insane pulls even in low level zones.

SO the key comes down to 1 110 grouped, 3 dedicated to making it easier/keeping tank up, and one leveling toon.

Also keep in mind my stats are all with anniversary bonus right now to XP. It's longer without but it's not an insane ammont of time either way.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  5. aindriuc Elder

Hi guys,

I managed to get a ranger powerleveled to nearly 109. It took about 8 hours to go from 85-108 and a couple of krono.

I bought some cheap 105 rec 110 req weapons including a bow for him. However, I can't find armour for him on FV on bazaar. Where do you get the level 105 armour from? Is there a name on it?

I think after being powerleveled I am going to be pretty awful in groups and would like to learn the class and upgrade a bit from the heroic 85 gear.

I think my next task is to get all the spells and start training my spell skills. Then, I will work on my melee skills and then learning the AAs and spells and stuff. Might take me some time.

Is there anywhere I can go where the mobs are light blue that I can kill stuff and train my melee skills?

Thanks
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  6. moogs Augur

You can attack someone's pet or merc in the arena.
  7. aindriuc Elder

Hey,

There was noone at the arena to attack so I logged on an old 85 account too and two shot the merc :-( so that didn't work out so well.

I guess I am all powerful as a ranger.

I got to level 108 on my ranger through a powerlevel.

I haven't really tried out much on him yet.

My next moves are:
    1. Buy all the new spells. I only bought the ones in PoK but think there are ones elsewhere like in the new expansions era zones.
    2. Get my j5 merc, which I hope I can solo.
    3. Raise my spell skills so I can cast my 108 spells without much bother.
    4. Raise my melee skills and I probably need to go to a zone with light blue for this.
    5. Buy some more krono and buy selrachs gear.
    6. Learn my AAs and how to use them.
    7. Join a guild when I'm comfortable with my ranger then group with people.

They are some of the challenges I face.

I firstly need to learn the class and learn how to play him, before I feel comfortable in a group.

I'd like an easy zone where I can molo where there are light blues so if anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

Thanks
  8. moogs Augur

9. moogs Augur

If you're going to raise your spell skills, cast the lowest level spell of each category (Alteration, Evocation, etc.). Try not to hate yourself.
  10. moogs Augur

11. Quatr Augur

The quest is trivial at high levels, but the first time I did it, it took me much longer than 15 minutes. I spent most of that time trying to find the NPC camps, mushrooms, spawn points and so on :oops:
  12. moogs Augur

That's why I added the link. Anyone that can read a map should have no trouble.
  13. Quatr Augur

Map reading? Must be something secret technique that they teach at mammal schools! :(
  14. moogs Augur

You'd be surprised how many people (only in America, I swear) have trouble with this secret technique. Some of my friends have master's degrees and can't figure it out.
  15. aindriuc Elder

Thanks guys. I was feeling a little down not knowing what to do with my ranger because I had spent krono powerleveling him, but after I did the merc quest and got the j5 merc I was feeling pretty confident.

So, I got all the spells in the latest two expansions.

I tried casting them a few times, and the level 85 spell things like alteration were good enough not to make the level 108 ones fizzle, so I felt pretty good my character wasn't flawed out.

I then went into house of thule and destroyed some grey mobs with my new merc. The grey mobs actually were high enough so I could level my 1h slashing and 1h piercing. Then I maxed them out, I worked on archery and getting that up. I used to root spell which is an instant cast knock back root and used auto fire on my bow so I got a good few skill ups but more to go.

My next mission is to learn the AAs and the spell line up for ranger and then maybe venture into more dangerous zones.

I was thinking if I could farm some level 90s gear but don't know where to go for that or if I would be able.

The grey mobs in house of thule were not that challenging but raised the skills so I'm happy.

Once I play more of my ranger, I'll figure out the class and maybe join a guild.

I figure the ranger is an awesome class. I love been able to solo old content with my merc. I also killed some green named and got a few crappy items.
    IblisTheMage and moogs like this.
  16. moogs Augur

If you have the plat (and with 1 krono, that's plenty) you can deck yourself out in a full set of Conflagrant gear. Look it up in /baz.

Use the crappy items for Tribute if you can. Might as well.
  17. Quatr Augur

If you go to the first zone in the Rain of Fear (RoF) expansion, you will find that regular mobs can randomly drop level 92 gear. The mobs are in their high 90s and significantly harder than the ones that you fought in HOT. At 108, you may be able to melee them to death even wearing your level 80/85 equipment, especially once you max your Defense, Dodge and Parry skills. If not, you can use "root-and-shoot". Alternatively, you can buy basic level 100 gear, which tends to be very cheap, in the Bazaar

One way to familiarize yourself with a new class is to go through progressively harder zones. For example, the House of Thule expansion has 4 tiers. It sounds like you have found Tier 1 to be easy, so now you can move to Tier 2, then Tier 3 and Tier 4. The next expansion is VoA, then RoF, then CotF, and so on. They all have multiple tiers as well. Mobs grow in power fairly linearly, but there are exceptions. For example, VoA mobs tend to be harder for their level than RoF mobs.

Completing all quests in certain zones yields titles and/or trophies. Titles are just for show, but trophies, when activated, increase your stats.

Also, you may want to check if any old expansions have anything that may interest you. Just the other day we were discussing Icy Prism of Avoidance, which gives +8% to your Dodge skill and stacks with everything else.

As far as grouping goes, I would do the following before joining a group in the last couple of expansions:

1. Make sure your offensive skills are maxed for the level
    2. Get level-appropriate weapons (armor is less important)
    3. Learn the basics of your class in a group environment. For a Ranger, it would include pulling and basic crowd control.
    To get level-appropriate weapons, you can simply farm plat. Back when I was working on HOT titles and trophies on my 105 Monk, I was getting around 40K plat in one evening. Depending on your server's economy and your DPS, you may be able to farm enough plat to buy a decent weapon in a few days.
    moogs likes this.
  18. aindriuc Elder

Thanks guys. I did what you said, and decked out my ranger in conflagrant gear, and got some nice weapons too.

I went to shard's landing and soloed some light blues. I even killed a named and got a named item, and a fear touched item, which I assume is a tiered item for that expansion!

I feel really powerful as a ranger now.

I am going to start grinding light blues and getting a real good feel for the ranger. If anyone can give me any pointers on which AAs to be using and which to get first in the EoK / RoS era then that would be great too.

Thanks a lot for all your help.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  19. Aurastrider Augur

Its been a while since I have played my ranger in current content. I believe the power shift has gone back to range dps instead of melee so I would focus on your bow AA's. You should try to keep headshot current always. Rangers are huge mana drains so any AA that will add to mana is pretty important. In reality all of your AA's that add to your stats should be of heavy focus. Don't forget about your planar AA's because without those maxed out all that flashy gear is not giving you the stats that it should (if your heroic stat cap is less than your overall heroics from your gear you need to invest in the AA's to actually receive the heroic portion of the gear).

For the group game rangers have lots of AA's that add to the groups dps. It would be worth focusing on these after you have made sure you are getting the most out of your rangers stats via AA's.

In terms of making plat rangers imo are probably the best plat farmers in game. If you make a foraging macro and keybind it to one of your movement keys you can autoforage just moving around. Add the best tracking in game to find those rare creatures, their directional AE spells for mass killing and their ability to self heal and do some light tanking they can be a mass killing machine if you are short on funds.

I might suggest instead of trying to max out all of your skills then trying to figure out your spell/AA lineups and fine tuning it that you work on your lineups first so you can test it in a live environment even if it is against mobs you are significantly more powerful than training your muscle memory to hit keys during those encounters will help you when it actually matters. This will also help you raise your skills just via the testing process of things saving you time in the long run.

For ranger specific questions I would read through the class discussion section and see if there are any threads already running that would be beneficial. If you don't find something that answers your questions make a thread there. I know I have gotten great responses from the community regarding my mages. I hope the rangers out there will be just as helpful. When I last mained my ranger melee was the way to go so I am outdated on giving advice regarding them for current content. Make sure you look at your arrow spells and look at the components needed to cast them. I believe they are class 3 silver tipped arrows but I am going off of memory. You will want to raise your fletching to around 200 which can be done with all vendor combines and then make sure you have several stacks of these on you at all times so you can cast these spells. Also place the best available arrow in your ammo slot. You should have endless quiver so it wont be consumed. Get a quiver (the higher the weight reduction the faster you will shoot is my understanding). Make sure you get yourself some power sources (sealed pure energeian xxxx) there are several sites online that will breakdown what stats each one provides so you can determine which one would be the best for your playing style. Caster pots are also nice as they will add to your spell casting dps. Make sure you are casting spells as a ranger. Rangers with a full mana bar are not utilizing their character correctly. Try to do as many anniversary missions as possible that will give you good augs or other useful clickes such as the drunkard stein since you lack a gating ability. I am sure I am missing a ton of things but this should be a good starting point. Good luck and have fun rangers are an awesome class to play.
    moogs likes this.
  20. IblisTheMage Augur

Let us know how you progress, and good luck! :)