2-Boxing on Coirnav Question

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by James, Mar 30, 2018.

1. James Augur

I am one of those players who loves the game but can't sit all day and play due to lack of tons of free time. It gets old LFG for 45 minutes, then finally finding one and only having an hour before needing to log. I have been 2-boxing a Mage/Shaman combo and sure pre-20's the combo works fine, but I "know" as that Mage levels up the "hunting spells task begins" aka certain pets being drops or researched and such .... ugh just not digging that too much.

I just want to level up casually, being able to work dungeons and camps and such and I really do not want to get into a complex duo of characters that I will have to take tons of time searching for stuff i "need" to make the duo work well. Ya know? I just wanna grind through the levels at my own pace, sure at higher levels I will group both characters when I can find groups but when it's just me, I just want to play the game at my pace.

I am not trying to camp the super high end raid bosses on my own, I just want to get into a dungeon and find myself a spot and level ya know?

So I been thinking of maybe other combos, something a little more simple, maybe keep the Shaman and roll a Warrior but I am worried the Warrior is not gonna work too well breaking camps since the Shaman doesn't have CC (I guess neither does a Mage either) to break camps but at the same time a Warrior would be low maintenance also. I am not too fond of Monks actually because I have no xp in pulling since I am used to support classes and casters, I guess that is why I don't consider SK's as well (for the pulling reasons in groups) The Warrior seems easier but as I said breaking camps might suck.

Just looking for insight since I am low xp on boxing.
  2. jiri_ Augur

I might consider a Cleric or Paladin if you're worried about breaking camps. Both have access to the Calm line, which is a very useful pulling tool in classic. If you definitely want to keep the Shaman, then I'd consider Shm/Pal for a few extra buffs, extra heals to support Cannibalize, and better pulling than the Warrior.

All three plate tank classes are pretty gear-dependent, so keep that in mind.
  3. James Augur

Yea, I know but I would rather deal with earning cash to stay geared than the searching/researching aspect right?
  4. jiri_ Augur

I'm probably not the best person to ask, not having played a mage to any real level in classic, but it feels a bit like six of one, half-dozen of the other.

I'd go with the tank instead of the mage, as with a tank and a healer you can more or less take any open camp you find, grab whoever's LFG and have a group ready to roll. The mage/healer combo solos better but doesn't do pickup groups quite as well.
  5. James Augur

Don't get me wrong, I'm not 100% a NO GO on an SK or Monk, I was simply saying a Warrior seemed such low maintenance it made it appealing. As for a Paladin .... I dunno, never considered one tbh, never even played one either actually, For duoing would they be better 1hd or 2hd?

Also, would a Paladin be better off with a Shaman or maybe a Cleric and nah dude you are fine man, I appreciate all the suggestions and ideas. Thanks :)
  6. jiri_ Augur

I'm definitely not an authority here, so grain of salt with all this, please.

I think either way you're going to spend the majority of the time on the melee character rather than the healer (at least, that's been my experience across a couple box experiences). Most of my cleric's casting is based on target-cast-sit socials. So whether you have a warrior, SK or paladin, that's going to be the focus of your efforts. Of the three SKs have the easiest time getting and holding aggro for a while; warriors do the best DPS and Paladins are characters who exist. In your case, where you want slightly lower maintenance, I think paladin pulling is probably better than FD splitting, and I'm pretty sure it's available earlier too.

Paladin and Clr buffs overlap since most of the paladin spells in classic are just cleric spells that you get way later. The shaman actually probably brings more useful stuff to the table.
  7. James Augur

So if I were to go paladin, which is better? 1hd Slash or 2hd Slash weapon for 2-boxing?
  8. Nickatropolis Augur

first time mage here, getting the pet spells is not hard, even the level 49 pet spell you can purchase for as low as 200pp. I just bought the 41 pet spell in commons last night for 200pp.
  9. James Augur

Well, it's not just THAT, it also about being able to move into dungeons and effectively break a spawn via using CC which a Mage/Shaman combo does not have. But yea we kinda move this conversation into being able to CC a camp and single pulling the mobs efficiently until we have the camp spawn timers staggered, which a Paladin/Shaman combo might do pretty good ya know?
  10. Nickatropolis Augur

pally shamans are very effective... although your best bet for two boxing will always be cleric/enchanter... enchanter will need to charm pet, but for afk purposes/playing at your own pace you can just kill your pet and charm a new one when you're ready... Keep your shaman for alchemy though, sow/mana/ivu/etc pots will be your friend.
  11. jiri_ Augur

2, because you're going to want a Ghoulbane eventually. But also meh do both.
  12. James Augur

only thing that worries me about the Paladin/Shaman box is the low LOW dps of a Paladin :(
  13. Nickatropolis Augur

that would be effectively pair with a shaman's DOT line of spells.
  14. jiri_ Augur

Yeah, though shaman will put out some DPS through dots. And paladins aren't awful at nuking between swings on undead mobs.

Plus, if you have a tank and a healer, you can always grab whichever DPS class happens to be LFG.
  15. Lankie Augur

Paladin / Shaman combo is by far the best standard melee / healer combo in game. Paladin can single pull with pacify, root adds, stun healers, heal yourself + the shaman, rez, HP / AC / Symbol buffs that stack with shaman buffs, Lay on Hands for those accidental big pulls / splitting camps.

SK / Shaman is meh, SK get erm, bad lifetaps and FD, so you can FD and let your shaman... die?

Monk / Shaman is also meh, bad tanking, no utility.

Mage / Shaman is just terrible. Fine until an add walks into camp and 1 shots your mage, pet tank despawns and shaman dies.

Warrior / Shaman is similar to monk, no utility but better tanking.

About the Paladin DPS concerns. Paladin DPS is almost exactly the same as SK / Warrior dps. During low level, you have almost 0 mana regen while standing and fighting, so a SK doesn't cast any dots, maybe 1 lifetap per mob at most. 99% of damage is auto attack, and Paladin have the exact same dps table as a SK.
  16. Fohpo Augur

Mage + enc = $$$ in classic
  17. James Augur

https://forum.casualdreams.org/viewtopic.php?t=143
    Yea they are pretty terrible at DPSing haha I mean acording to this, Paladins are just ................ not good :(:eek:

I admit, Im not trying to get that BEST 2box combo, I wanna have fun too.

Humor me on this one guys but I have a question .............. (for giggles sake)

Bard/Shaman 2box

Sure Bard is low DPS as well, but the CC they have makes them up there with Enchanters at break dungeon camps and such. Would Bards be able to actually TANK at lets say 40+ with bard haste, haste gear and Shamans haste combines with Shaman slow? I'm not trying to be the best here and I am not trying to camp named mobs or raid named mobs, I just want to level by myself in a 2 box and not get steam rolled.

"Could" Bard/Shaman box work?
  18. Lankie Augur

Did you even read the post? Some clueless noob posts useless info, and we are supposed to agree with it? Lay on Hands is useless because of Complete Heal potion, HP buffs don't matter, but they can use some random sword that drops in PoWater? That's your info for analyzing how a Paladin performs?

Yea gg, I'm out of this thread. GL with EQ .
    Pirlo likes this.
  19. Nickatropolis Augur

that escalated quickly
    A_New_Cleric likes this.
  20. Poledo_EQ Elder

Until you hit 60, if earning cash is not an issue, you can buy all your pet spells from players. Until you start approaching level 60 spells they're usually pretty cheap. Even better, keep the words you need for those spells and have someone do the research for you for a donation.

Shaman mage is a good combo. If you wanna change, go nuts. My wife and I did Shaman/Nec, but you'll run into the same spell issue.