What happened to greed rolling?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Nickatropolis, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Nickatropolis Augur

Back in my day, you only needed on things that were upgrades for you, not stuff you sell to a vendor... seems greed rolls are extinct on Coirnav....
    moogs and Xanumbik like this.
  2. HoodenShuklak Augur

We never had this problem on p99 either.
  3. Mrjon3s Augur

Since Agnarr everyone rolls need on everything. The greed for Krono has gone too strong.
  4. discordkitty Augur

Yeah when I first started on Agnarr, I had everthing on greed and never won anything because everyone was on need. I switched accordingly. Same thing seems to apply on Coirnav, though I've been in a couple groups where people actually worked together for upgrades and although need was on all loot, things were passed to those who could use. Sadly most people will just take the route of "it's an upgrade to my wallet". I miss some of those bygone days of EQ ;)

I think the advanced loot window is flawed in ways, though it's probably the best version of something like that it can be. Sucks when RNG gives you the finger and you get nothing while the same person wins 8 nice gems in a row ;p I remember alpha looting on those way back when.
    Fhiele, moogs, Xanumbik and 1 other person like this.
  5. HoodenShuklak Augur

People sure have some rosey glasses.

Anyone actually play classic?

Remember wolf form? What about when no loot messages existed? Know why they put that in? How about blacklisting ninja looters?

If none of this sounds familiar then you didn't play eq.
  6. -wycca Augur

Everyone in the game can use plat or an item trade to advance their character. Thus everyone should probably be rolling need on an item unless you bring a bunch of friends. It's pretty selfish to go to a FBSS camp as a melee and expect a cleric and enchanter to sit there for hours while the melee grab their FBSS' and then bolt IMO. Just because people value their own time and contributions in a group for an equal chance at something to advance their own character doesn't mean it's always Krono greed.
  7. Punchu Augur

Oh well then. That explains a lot.
    Death Strudel and Nolrog like this.
  8. smash Augur

Why should a person pass on things? Everyone is deserving of loot.

If you want to have so only people roll on items they really need, you get a group where you have those settings. Its all up to yourself what you wanna do.

I guess you been in a group where another person rolled on item the person could not wear and that person won.

However ask yourself do you wanna camp a named, who drops item you cannot use, for hours which is effect is wasted hours. This i will do with friends, not for some random person i might not group with ever again.

This all about network building, making friends you group with. At that time the really need can come into play, until then its everyone for themself.
    andross77 likes this.
  9. HoodenShuklak Augur

Imagine if everyone did nbg in classic.

I dont think clerics would ever go to Lguk unless they were rezzing for donations. Nbg would ruin the server.
  10. Lankie Augur

NBG is better, I won about 18 FBSS during classic on Agnarr.

I was 2 boxing melee without the group knowing, claimed FBSS on NBG every time it dropped. Next day I would equip my cloth belt again and do the same. $$

The key with NBG is to chose a character name that's not recognisable, you need to blend in. I can understand the complains about everyone needing on stuff, it really hurts your krono gains.
    Ottopaul and PathToEternity like this.
  11. snailish Augur

and here I was excited by the thread title thinking they had removed the redundant "greed" option from advloot.

Merge "need" & "greed" on advance loot to a single option... call it "want".

If the group wants to do true need, master looter assigning the loot allows for it. A single option of "want" eliminates all the nonsense and messing with which way you checked your boxes for every other situation. Many of of have everything selected as greed, means getting no loot in a lot of groups but saves drama of being flagged all need in the opposite kind of group that gets upset about it.

You join a group, the master looter and/or group leader says "we are doing need loot assigning on specific things as follows _________________". You agree and play with that group or you leave. No need to post in forums about misunderstandings around looting.

We all win.
    moogs and skattabrainz like this.
  12. smash Augur

This however is example where I do feel that it would be better for the TLP servers, that there has come a time, which is now, that certain items should be made no drop/heirloom.

You can ofc, still sell loot rights, but person would then be revealed as as kronos farmer, which would very fast exclude person from Groups.
  13. Poledo_EQ Elder

Back in the day you actually had to loot an item from the corpse and people would roll before looting. With new system and the settings, it's a pain to always be changing what your setting was from group to group. Need in this group, greed in this one. People are lazy and tend to just leave everything on need because chances are someone else has everything set to need and yada yada.

New loot system has it's perks, it also has it's challenges. This is one of them. Unless the people in the group are real asshats, most are going to pass something to someone who actually needs it.
    snailish likes this.
  14. Febb Augur

This is one of the reasons why the No Drop tag was heavily implemented later on.
    moogs, andross77 and snailish like this.
  15. MaxTheLion Augur

Need on everything and make it easier. You typically won't need on a no drop item unless it's an upgrade or a specific quest item. If there is an item you're really looking to loot for a quest or as an upgrade, I'm sure you can let your group know before the roll finishes going out.
  16. Tyche Elder

And unless you’re an idiot. I’m reminded of my first open Fear raid playing a Druid. A vermiculated tunic drops. Leader says all Druids roll whatever. I remember coming in second. First place roller, loots it. He's a ranger. Tunic never dropped again in all my clears.
    moogs, andross77 and MaxTheLion like this.
  17. Potsos76 Augur

Regardless of which you choose, each item in the loot window requires a mouse click the first time through. The choice, in this sense, is irrelevant. So that leaves us with the function of the system.

The debate here is about two philosophies: Greeding as a default loot choice or Needing a default loot choice.

I can think of one major advantage to Greed as a baseline:
    • When an upgrade drops, no communication or stop in play is required. Those in need click Need and those who don't click Greed.
    There are no advantages to clicking Need on all items as a baseline. Some people have said that it makes looting easier, but you save no time hitting Need rather than Greed and you are left with the issue above. If they answer is "tell them beforehand" or "talk about it when it drops", that's not an advantage.

The truth is there isn't a huge difference between the two systems, but so far no one has ever given me a convincing reason to forgo Greed as a baseline choice.
  18. Oldeqplayer Journeyman

If you greed it and someone already had that set to need, you lose the roll every time. It levels the playing field and will always work. Your group can discuss, give or you can even trade your won fbss if you like, to someone in your group.

I have seen boxers roll need on both or need on one but there are two characters there contributing to the kill, loot, and xp, why do so many hate boxers getting loot for thier effort?

Greed will always burn the good hearted player, need on all does not. You are also welcome to select never if you feel strongly about not looting.
  19. MaxTheLion Augur

Here's the only convincing reason anybody will ever need. Real greed will force some people to put need on all items. You either eventually play their rules or lose out on loot. The idea of "just boot them" or whatever is not a solution when you run into many people that will only use Need. Eventually you either fly with the flock or get left behind.
    Herf likes this.
  20. Potsos76 Augur

You'll know almost instantly who's doing this by seeing their single rolls. Are you saying instead of kicking that person from your group, the entire group will change all of their loot roles to accommodate them? Seems... pretty crazy.
    A_New_Cleric likes this.