Requesting class selection thoughts/advice/help

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by LCD35, Mar 23, 2018.

1. LCD35 New Member

Requisite returning player intro Mumble Mumble hard core player, I even took vacation days from work to play when Kunark came out Mumble Mumble TLP in 2006 Mumble Mumble logged in 2013 got a "silver account" and holy crap all my toons are still here! Howling Harpoon, Obulous Death Shroud, all that chase stuff!

I digress. I'm in the military in Korea. So time zones will be challenging. I can't afford the time sink of a ton of alts. So, trying to maximize my fun factor with several caveats: ability to solo (ability, not perfection) if time zone causes issues. Grouping ability, cause I love to group, so who is in demand for the most versatility. Potential for high end, as I used to be an EQ and WoW raider. Potential, as again, I'll be a bit more casual if I enjoy.

New TLP, or just use my old toons? (Max was 85, got a 50 and a 30, several more in that range). Will I even find people to level guys that low if not on a TLP?

I've played rogue and wizard and ranger up to the 50s. While I enjoyed them immensely, I don't think they'll fit with my afore mentioned caveats. I want something that'll be ok at everything, since I'll only have one real character. I'm afraid I'll pick something that becomes gear dependent and therefore impossibly limited due to time investment. I have experience with Shaman and Wizard the most, a bit with Shadow Knight. I loved that if played well, those guys could save the day when things went South. My tanking experience is from WoW (high end raiding), so similar concepts, but completely different at the same time. In short, I recognize I'll have some limitations from reaching a "peak performance" with time investment, so mainly looking for value.

I made four new characters on Coirnav and stared at the selection screen for thirty minutes before logging off. Paralysis by analysis is frustrating. For the record, these babies characters are Wizard, Ranger, Shadow Knight, and Shaman. I deleted the rogue, I'm not abusing myself like that again. Race isn't a factor. I was the only Dwarven Rogue I ever met.

Help! Need an outside p.o.v. . In short, class selection with those thoughts in mind on a TLP? Or just pick up my old guys, potentially transfer to a high pop server and dive back into the deep end? Afraid of the transfer because I'd really rather group than solo/molo.

Convince me!
  2. smash Augur

Well if limited time, then do not select coirnav, due to low xp income. No Agnarr due to it ends at around 65.

I am unsure what level your highest char is? Level 50 or ? You mention 85, but is that what max level could be when you played?

If only 50 then imo it is way to expensive to char move them to another server, which might also not be better than your present server.

Even if a high pop server you need to see that there chars in your level range. You also need to build new network up there.

Tlp servers, it starts to show they got limited life span b4 there come new one and people move there. I guess tlp servers might be for a number of people be cash machines, as they farm stuff which they then sell for kronos

I guess if i were you i would stick to present server with your chars. And if cannot get groups there then in 2-4 weeks time try to make new chars on high pop server and then see how it works out. Prob make a magician at first due to ability to grp/solo.
  3. IblisTheMage Augur

I would suggest playing your SK, make sure it has Veteran awards, get the Heroic advancement to lvl 85, do the mercenary quest, and focus on getting to 105. Maybe you will be able to do some swarming, if you can get the gear and can make it work for you. At lvl 106, you will be able to purchase gear in the bazar, “Conflagrant”, that will help you catch up. It will cost you a krono or two worth of PP, but I would hope it would enable you to stay at 106, until you have maxed out your AA, swarm soloing. So make sure all xp go to lvl until 106 :)

Make sure to go all in, with RoS, some Krono, subbed, Heroic, etc. and find out what is needed to max out your xp gain pr hour for your level. There are some potions (XP, HEM regen, etc) in the Daybreak store that can also give you an edge.

And do it today, there is anniversary xp bonus which is really good.
  4. moogs Augur

Welcome back.

You might like to consider a beastlord? They're pretty versatile, fun to play, can take a few hits and are a welcome addition to most groups. They're less gear dependent than a plate tank.

/who all 30 40 will return all players online between the levels of 30 and 40 (if they're not anonymous). Reach out and send a few tells. Someone is sure to join you for some XP.

You have the Newbie chat channel, which you should automatically be in if you're a Silver player. There's the General chat channel, but try not to rely too much on that for forming groups. Same with guild chat...don't use it as a crutch.

All you need is one other person and with your two mercenaries you'll be able to do quite a lot no matter which classes you are.
    Gundolin likes this.
  5. bzrkmaniac New Member

Eh, I came back and all I do is sit around trying to solo while broadcasting LFG. Rare to never on groups, I decided to go back to Phinigel. It's the same story. So I activate another account and duo to get some progress done. Four days duoing and LFG. I consider going back to live managing my own group. Why? Not why I came back.
  6. moogs Augur

This is a very common story. I experienced this a few months ago when I made a heroic cleric, set up all of the hotkeys, and expected a group to jump at the chance to replace a mercenary with a real live cleric. I guess that makes too much sense. Needless to say, announcing that I was LFG in General chat resulted in nothing more than a couple of uninformed sarcastic remarks (someone assumed for some dumb reason that I had never played a cleric before...wrong).

You're much more likely to have success if you take the active role.

For the most part, I 3-box. I don't often group with my own guildmates...most of them also 3-box. This weekend, I found someone in General chat asking for an EOK group for xp and gear and he gladly replaced a caster mercenary. I was happy to have the company, I learned some information about the zones that we were in, and we even went on to explore a couple of zones that neither of us had had the time to check out before. How did this happen? I sent the tell.

I logged in on a...I want to say 65ish SK alt just for fun and xp. I could have molo'd or PL'd myself, but whatever. Instead I did a /who all 55 70. There was a cleric at around 58 sitting around in POK. We connected and leveled up for one or two hours and had a pretty good time. How did this happen? I sent the tell.

There are other players out there. Most of them are sitting around passively, semi-AFK doing banking or tradeskilling or who knows what. You've got to keep an open mind, offer your assistance with whatever they want to accomplish, take someone that might be a few levels lower, and even if it's just two of you and your mercs, go do something. It's very seldom that you will be asked to fill a group.

If you start your own group, you'll meet cool people, your /friend list will grow (this is a big deal and helps a lot over time), and you'll find yourself doing things that you might not have even been aware were decent options in terms of group makeup and playstyles, obscure quests, or under utilized zones. You will quickly gain a reputation as someone that will lead and get things going. Other players will come to you, asking if you have room. It works the same on every server: personality trumps skill and everything else.
    IblisTheMage and Quatr like this.
  7. Yruc Augur

If you are wanting the grouping game all the way up with limited time, that is going to be hard to find with limited play time.
    As IblisTheMage suggested, you could buy the heroic upgrade to one of your characters and grind it out from 85-100 on your own on one of the live servers.

Live servers are a ghost town from 1-100. No ifs, ands or buts about it. You might find someone leveling an alt, but you will solo from 1-100 on any live server unless you find a guild that will help new and returning players, and even then the help would most likely be power leveling / or plat.

Coirnav - while the newest TLP just launched 2 weeks ago and is in classic. The xp rate here will make it difficult to keep up / catch up to normal / hard core players if you have a limited play time / play at off hours. - no boxing without a 2nd computer

Agnarr - 2nd newest TLP but only goes to LDoN - Pop unlocks on this server in just under a month. Right now easy to find groups from 1-60 - people are making alts all the time. Limited shelf life as will never progress past LDoN no boxing without a 2nd computer. While this does cap at 65 and LDON you will easily catch up and stay caught up and not fall behind on this server with limited play time.

Phinigel - hard to get groups in the lower levels. though their next expansion is due to open in another month as well. Grind out the early levels solo and catch up to current expansion with a guild's help and then ride the server till it meets live. no boxing without a 2nd computer

Ragefire / Lockjaw - can box on these servers but don't know a lot about them, but limited lower level grouping as well.

As for a soloing character - on live servers any character can solo easily to 60 with mercs. After 60 the mercs aren't as over powered and requires work but can be done with just about any character though the standard ones will do it better..

TLP servers - solo classes - Druid / Necro / Mage / Wizard / Beastlord
  8. Dart Lorekeeper

Lots of good info in the previous posts, so make sure to read those, though my suggestion is a bit different.

I would suggest based on your outline of your playtime, and goals, that you might want to check out Firiona Vie (FV) server. It is a live server, not TLP, but it is "unique" in that it has a different ruleset, and a very healthy population.

Advantages of FV vs regular Live
    1. 50% experience bonus all the time.
    2. Almost all items (minus things like epics) are trade-able!
    3. Healthy population (compared to most live servers)
    4. Healthy economy.

As for classes, I have to say by the sounds of it, you would be best served playing a real pet class (Magician, Beastlord, or Necromancer) as they can solo well, and aren't limited to only killing non-summoning trash mobs. As well, on FV server you can fairly easily access EM23+ pet focus which really is a huge advantage in doing current content.

I came back towards the end of last year, and had no desire to return to my old server, and so I started out fresh on FV, and haven't looked back. Talking to friends on live servers, I'm so glad I made the choice that I did, and I have been overwhelmingly impressed with the people on FV as well as the economy.

Its worth checking out, and again, I highly recommend the server, and a pet class for your goals stated in the OP.
  9. Quatr Augur

I agree with most of the above, but I would change the part about "meet cool people" to "meet all kinds of people, including cool people".

I formed a whole bunch of groups back when the Gribbles were the best way to level up. I got to know all kinds of people. Some were nice and some were not. Some were very competent and some were not. Some had great social skills and some did not. On balance, it was a good experience, but there were nights when I wanted to tear my hair out.

It's almost like players are as different as real life humans... :eek:
    IblisTheMage likes this.