Fellowship Campfire (boxers ONLY thread)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tamaden, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Tamaden Elder

Dear Devs.

Everquest players majority are boxers weather you like it or not. My request of Fellowship Campfire requirement of 3 players to put it down to be lowered to 1, and possible amount of 12 members maximum to be increased to 25 or more.

1. Lets say I am 3 boxing and need to get your team to location X 4-5 zones away, and running one character to that location takes me 10 minutes to zone 5 times and run through this zones. Then i will need to run 2 other characters which will make this 30 minutes just to get to X.

2. Many missions/quests requires different team set ups and not always you will have class needed on right account, so many same classes need to be in fellowship from this 3 accounts to make your team. Or just characters you currently want to play or just to have in fellowship to come get loot that's rotting in your camp, reasons are endless.....

3. Currently Campfire mainly used as returning tool to a wipe site (excluding inside instances). There are no permanent Groups out there that using it to help 4th, 5th 6th player to camp site that all in same Fellowship and play at the same time every day just a harsh reality. Raiders that using it for raid porting have many other options so lets ignore them for a minute.

So if you find it in your hart to save us boxers from 30 minute to an hour (depending if you box more then 3 or died on a way to camp site X) Please consider making this game more box friendly as we do pay for expansions and membership of our boxed accounts just like them single account players. I am currently at 4 RoS x-pacs and 5 gold member accounts. Please help me play this game instead of running to camp, please give me at the very list 1 hour/day more of play time. Thank you for considering it in advance.
  2. Gundolin Augur

I'm happy with increasing the max members, I'd really like that.

I'm happy with decreasing the members required to be present, that would be handy.

But your point #3 is just wrong. We regularly use our fellowship to bring in a 4th, 5th, or 6th player,
    Zhaunil_AB likes this.
  3. IblisTheMage Augur

Agree on the overall purpose, unsure how the best solution would look like.

1 person campfire = cross zone CotH. I don’t have a problem with that, au contraire, would be great if there was free CotH for all, but I am guessing that there would be some reluctance from the devs to neutralize a class differentiating game feature.

Part of the game, from an EQ-historical perspective, is to run. It gives an illusion of physicality. The problem is of course as you say, that if it is you having to do the individual running for several toons at a time, it breaks with the illusion, or somehow lowers what we used to call immersion.

I think I would prefer to have a real good party travel running upgrade. So that the party members run the same route, and zone if the main toon is zoning. It actually increases immersion, because the characters are pseudophysically running on their own, without the issues with follow, that lowers immersion, firstly because it looks so phony, secondy because it has a tendency to fail.

Just buffering the route, and having the party run the exact same route, single file, with some fake accellerations and decellerations of the individual toons, creating the illusion that they are varying a bit in speed. /partyrun <toon name of the toon they follow>, /partyrun end.

There is still a risk that the party can be jumped, especially if the front toon does not wait for the group.

There would still be issues like difference in size, probems if front toon is levitating, and one of the followers is not, spacing because of run speed (the slowest would naturally run last). Maybe Endurance is important, and gets consumed...
    Gundolin likes this.
  4. Syylke_EMarr Augur

I'd like to see the max number in a fellowship increase.

However, as they just changed the faction in VP to make clearing a requirement, I doubt they'd change campfires in such a way as to completely negate that change.
  5. Sissruukk Rogue One

[IMG]
    Did you mean this kind of "Boxers only" thread?

Honestly, though, I'd like to see a campfire be dropped by only one person, though. That would certainly put rogues in high demand.
    Fohpo and Yinla like this.
  6. Talonthalis Elder

Won't this take away from Druid/Wizard porting unique-ness? I thought that's why they were included in box-teams with the teleport to bind abilities?
  7. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I would like to see Campfire placement requirements lowered to two and capacity increased to 20.

Then make an Elite Veteran's AA called Call of the Veteran (a'la EQ2) which allows the caster to either port to someone in her group, or port someone in her group to her.
  8. Zaviere Augur

This thread is a very bad influence on me...

I went looking for a good picture of a pair of boxers, ya know, the men's underwear thing? Just to poke fun at the thread title.

Well, I found this...

[IMG]

... And now I'm about to order a few pairs.

ANYWAYS

I'm in full support of an increase on the number of people that can belong to one fellowship. As far as everything else? Meh. You'll never see them drop the required number of Fellowship members to put a fire down to 1, and likely not even 2.

As far as the OP's three specific points:

1. I just recently started 3-boxing myself, and I'm struggling to understand why travel time is such a big issue for you. I mean, I suppose in current content zones that require a lot of careful movement and dodging/fading off angry mobs, yeah I guess running one at a time might be safer. For the most part though, at least for me, I just /follow on two and take the lead on the third. This works especially well in my case, since the lead is always my Bard, who can just fade as he goes while the other two keep close.

2. The wording here is a bit confusing and over-explained, but I DO get what you're saying. And my response is basically, yeah I agree; increase the # of available fellowship member slots.

3. LOL. This is a very uneducated, blanket statement/assumption with nothing to follow it up in terms of requesting a change or improvement for the fellowship system. Not sure why you bothered to include this.

Bottom line is, the most I could ever see them adding is MAYBE more spots in a fellowship roster. Hell, I could even possibly see them trying to sell something in the marketplace that increases fellowship capacity, but probably not since that would require some kind of new coding to identify the leader of any given fellowship and whether or not they have purchases the extra slots. That being said, if by some freak act of nature they DID decide to add something like that, I'd gladly pay for the convenience of increased fellowship capacity.
    Quatr and IblisTheMage like this.
  9. Sindaiann Augur

Personally like to see the max players increased and the lockout from joining another fellowship removed.

If I switch someone into my fellowship (they drop theirs) for what we deem necessary, and then they want to go back to their fellowship hours later, there should not be a lockout timer restricting this. Happens all the time while grouping and bringing various guild members in exp/named groups.
  10. Imak Augur

I can build a campfire IRL all by myself, certainly don't need the help of two other people to accomplish that.
  11. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Can your RL campfire also magically teleport 11 other people to it instantaneously?

Campfires seem like they’re supposed to be a minor convenience, not an ability to bypass running around for all toons except the group’s porter, Rogue or fd class.

I’d be for increasing the max players a bit or allowing alts on the same account to be included, but the rest of the OP requests/comments are pretty silly.
    Corwyhn Lionheart, Fohpo and Daedly like this.
  12. Talonthalis Elder

I may be get some back-lash from this one but....

I've always felt the fellowship campfire mechanic was a workaround/cheat. "Journey before destination" after all. Shouldn't the campfire require 3 active people to create it and then BE PRESENT for it to be even used? Unattended campfires should expire when there aren't people there to tend it.

HOWEVER I understand what is being asked: An easier way to move box teams around - nothing wrong with that. Perhaps there should be an option sold in the marketplace like gate potions that affect a team or a translocation item that can be set like the Zueria's Slide charm to a destination that one of your team members is currently at?

I see where the OP is going with this, but I don't feel that campfire changes are the cure.
    AlmarsGuides likes this.
  13. AlmarsGuides Augur

I agree with this, the campfire requirement being lowered to 1 would be totally cheesing it. I'm a boxer like the OP of this thread states and even I think it would just be too silly if you could drop a campfire with 1. Then Daybreak would restrict zones so you can't campfire to them (very few are like this now, let's not increase the number) just like they did with Call of the Hero back in the day.... Every try CoTH in Acrylia Caverns? Mobs spawn and attack you!

Now increasing the maximum size of a fellowship I can totally get behind. What a wonderful idea because 13 members is too small and it's a real pita when I switch just 1 character on my box team I gotta switch around my fellowships too. I can't see increasing the max size of a fellow even negatively affecting most of the game.
  14. Imak Augur

No, no it doesn't. I will have two friends come over this evening and help me build a campfire. I am greatly looking forward to being able to teleport IRL. This is gonna be sweeeeeet.
    Gyurika Godofwar, Quatr and Sheex like this.
  15. IblisTheMage Augur

/chuckle
    /pause 3
    /chuckle
    /pause 3
    /chuckle

Must be the ugliest pair of briefs ever.
  16. Qbert Gallifreyan

As the leader of a fellowship may change (and without any wanting it to, a la the problems we had last year), I have an alternative suggestion:

Perhaps they could sell individual characters a flag in the marketplace (like the rk. 2 spells flag) that gives them a NO FS COST (tm) flag. The notion here is that it would be similar to the FREE STORAGE tag some illusions/mounts have (primarily those purchased from the marketplace). They could put an upper limit on the size of a fellowship regardless of the number of NO FS COST characters in it as well, I suppose. Those with the flag wouldn't count towards the fellowship size limit of 12 (unless the new limit were to be reached . . . 24? 48?).

Because having ways to obtain stuff in game is important, there could be a quest akin to the mercenary slot quest or achievements that grant the flag, or both.

Edit: bolded part of your post as I found it amusing, in light of the beginning of your post.
    Zaviere likes this.
  17. Zaviere Augur

Never mind, I get it now~
  18. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Now you’re on the trolley. Fun times ahead.
  19. Fohpo Augur

[IMG]
  20. Dart Lorekeeper

I gotta say, this is just a ridiculous post. And before anyone attacks me, I do box, and so this isn't coming from someone who is against it.

You are the one who is choosing to box, it is not forced on you, and any inconveniences because of you choosing to control an entire group, and not just 1 toon is your decision to accept.

There are already so many shortcuts in this game (including campfire in its current state) that allow you to make life easier and faster for yourself. Want to speed up forming a new camp, or recovering from a wipe? Then make sure to include a wizard or druid and a mage in your character picks. That alone makes all 3 of your points ludicrous.

There are downsides to boxing, you are the one who chose to do it, and there are many tools already available to help you. If the tools that exist already aren't enough to make things easy, then its not rocket science to think, maybe I should invite another real person. Somehow though you think that running 1 toon somewhere means you should automatically be able to bring the rest of your box crew right to you.

Now would I like to be able to put up a campfire myself, and have everyone i ever group with in my fellowship, I realize that is not a reasonable request. Just because you chose to box, doesn't mean they should change the game to suit your choice of how to play.

/boggle
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.