Critique of Coirnav TLP

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by vidrik1, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Roxxlyy Augur

Please be careful with your claims, as this statement is 100% not true. No one outside of Daybreak development was able to access the server before it fully unlocked - on our livestream, our devs didn't even join up until after the servers opened and were experiencing issues getting online. The unknown connection error had to do with the server spinning up + a huge influx of logins, not some special "VIP lockout."

You're free to have your opinions about the server, but spreading your own malicious rumors/theories as fact is not okay to do.
  2. JustPuttinThisHere Lorekeeper

Maybe true, but the playerbase's interaction with the game has changed since then. Just running around newbie zones on Friday I saw more 4-6 boxes than I have seen my whole time on BOTH Phinigel and Agnarr (granted my time on Agnarr was brief). And that's without venturing into the higher leveling zones like CLs or NRO/Oasis.

I think truebox needs to be re-examined, and maybe DBG should just be brave and take some more harsh actions that may block out households from playing or something. While you may be right that it mostly intended to target box armies, I don't think DBG or even us the players expected that after a couple years people running 4 plus characters would be as common as it is.
  3. DruidCT Augur

Are you claiming this is something new? There has been an experience bonus when grouping for a really long time in EQ. I don't know when and how often its been adjusted. But yes, you are expected to be in a group. To get groups regularly you join a guild. You want to be part of the "race" you plan ahead with friends you probably have in another guild on another server. This is all perfectly normal and a surprise only to you.
  4. vidrik1 Journeyman

The word "critique" as written in my posting subject, means a" feedback to someone about something so that they make improve what they create or offer" and are not meant to be "malicious" as you state.

If large numbers of people experience something negative with a product and give FEEDBACK for you to improve your product, but then you get defensive and threatening towards them like some sort of Public Relations Commissar, then you simply lack customer service and need to reevaluate your response; perhaps your leader should even be involved.

If same large number of people experience something negative with a product, then they are free to form their own opinions about the reasons behind this and even post this to an OPEN forum.

Your company owns this forum, so you are free to censor whatever anyone writes. However, this only makes you look bad especially if you don't respond to feedback but rather with threatening undertones.

I have read and watched numerous reports of people locked out until 11:05-11:06ish while the Live EQ Facebook stream went forward without a hitch and heard about this time before the server even came online. Fact is, the server was NOT "UP" at 11:00am PST, but maybe this was just a coincidence.

So instead of getting all defensive and just saying "trust us nothing happened", how about a more thorough explanation?

In fact, I will give you the benefit of the doubt and remove my first bullet point critique so that we may talk about more important issues with Coirnav (granted I am able to edit it again)
  5. RandomStrategy Augur

Preach it, Roxx(xlyy, single syllable for it sounds cooler).
  6. Gana Augur

Actually, it did have a hitch. If you did watch it, then you know that at least one of them was not able to login initially. Therefore while you are entitled to your opinion, making assessments and assertions that are not true to intentionally lead to an untrue conclusion is indeed inappropriate. It makes you look like a troll...as does your avatar.
  7. Bankhead New Member

Buy shares in tin foil.
  8. snailish Augur

Know thyself (if possible).

FV has strange rules, massive economy and mostly high level people. The tradable loot and high XP here make it a great place to solo or merc up.

If FV rules don't feel right to you, XP on live servers is great (all the catch up features like hotzones are active) and you have long-established communities so find some like minded people and be friends for years.

If you want to level with lots of people in lower content/older content... then progression is good.

If you want to raid and do content you missed in the past, progression is good.

Your social outlook in the game, playstyle preference, and playtime commitment are important to really refine a recommendation.
  9. Risiko Augur

omg he was actually serious.

Never in a million years did I think he was serious in his previous post about this before the server went live, and I didn't even think he was serious when he made this post, but his response to Rox just now.. holy crap. He was actually serious. :eek:
  10. Candystore Augur

Encouraging grouping is a double edged sword. It works fine as long as there's a healthy population at all levels.

But once there are no longer any people to group with at the lower levels, newbees and casual players can no longer progress.

Fixing this is rather simple, by increasing XP, giving newbees better gear, alllowing solo opportunities, giving them henchmen, mercenaries, etc.

Except the community usually shoots themselves in the foot at this point, they try to resist any change "I had to walk barefoot in the snow to school, so should you", (ignoring the fact that they had friends to group with and had a much easier time).

This is why games like Pantheon will totally fail. They have attracted a zealot community that doesn't understand that forcing grouping without any chance to solo does not work in a vertically integrated progression system. Once the population drops below a certain point, especially at the lower levels, the game can only die, because the zealot community will resist any change even if it kills off their own game.
    Wazzat likes this.
  11. Wazzat New Member

Isn't this why they created the shroud feature? Not sure if shrouds exist in TLP servers. This is my first TLP server.
  12. Hateseeker Augur

I admit I haven't gobbled up every piece of info on Pantheon, but from what I understand from what's been released so far I did not get the impressions that the game would be "without any chance to solo"?

It may work in the beginning though, because people will be so hungry for something new, a new game where you actually don't know what's behind every rock, that at least at first it will be worth grouping. But EQ as it is now, it's painful to wait 3 minutes for a group, let alone 30, because you know what's out there and you just want to do it.
  13. Candystore Augur

It is.

It is also why EQ has Monster Missions and Mercenaries.

The problems in these trinity MMO that rely on grouping are always the same.

What do you do with a game that relies on grouping when the population at certain levels drops below a certain treshold that makes grouping no longer a viable option.

What MMO usually do is shrouds, faster XP, mercenaries, help-a-friend bonuses for higher levels helping newbees, etc. But this process is always chaotic, because you always have this (very dumb) community at the high-end that will scream bloody murder on the forums that they're making the game too casual, not realizing that the death of new players is going to eventually impact them too.
  14. Candystore Augur

Pretty much, the community is incredibly resistant to solo play in any form. So are the game's designers. They don't think this is a problem, yet offer up no solution as to what will happen when the lower population in their game starts dwindling.
  15. Green_Mage Augur

Once you put easy solo leveling in a game you have a hard time answering the question: "Why aren't you playing WoW?" IMO.

Pre-forms aren't the problem....get a preform for the next launch if your jealous. The problem is boxers.
  16. Accipiter Old Timer

I'm pretty sure he's serious. He seems a little... unhinged.
  17. Accipiter Old Timer

And probably all playing legitimately. Just because you see 4-6 box crews doesn't mean they aren't following the rules.
  18. JustPuttinThisHere Lorekeeper

That's not what I meant at all.

What I mean is, when Truebox was first announced and pioneereed on Phinny, I don't think the dev's expectations were that it would become this commonplace to see groups of 4 plus being boxed. I don't think the players even expected it. I don't remember seeing an actual group of 4plus all being boxed until Luclin.

Back on the early days of Phinigel, it was not very common to see people even two box. I started in Kunark, two boxing my way to 60 and I remember it being often frowned upon in groups and that I hardly saw anyone else do it.

So I am not trying to point fingers at boxers and call them evil. I do box myself and enjoy it. But I feel that where we are now and what we envisioned that to be like from the onset of truebox are two very different places.
  19. snailish Augur

Shroud system was implemented backwards though... should have let you level up your level 1 shrouded as a close to endgame level character so you were with the population.
  20. FluttyMan Elder

This new Coirnav server is great fun all around.It's a great succes in my opinion even though it's really a far west server, no rules like everyone rolling NEED on loot and trains/camp stealing etc...

Kinda feels half PVP in a way, which is great fun.