Quick & Fun Questions for Devs!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Zaviere, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Zaviere Augur

How do you feel about the Vah Shir race as a whole? Do you like them, hate them, or something in between?

Why do you feel the way you do about the Vah Shir race?

What, if anything, would you change about the Vah Shir race if you could?

When was the concept for the Vah Shir race originally brought to the development table? Who did it originate with?

What, if anything, was your individual contribution towards the overall creation of the Vah Shir race?

Which of these two races do you honestly feel is superior, and why; Vah Shir or Iksar?

--------

I have often wondered about these things before, so I figured, what the hell? Maybe I can steal a moment or two of Dev time and shed some light on the developer's personal perspective, as well as some of the history, of my favorite EverQuest race! Any and all possible input would be greatly appreciated :)

I suppose only the 4th and 5th questions are more or less Dev-exclusive. None the less, I am hopeful, and therefor excited, about hearing from all the wonderful people who keep this great game alive and kicking.

Actually, speaking of, I would also invite any coders and producers to participate in this little questionnaire of mine as well! Ya know, since you lot are all just as important as developers when it comes to the past, present and future evolution of EverQuest!

Thanks in advance!

~A Proud & Curious Vah Shir
  2. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

Cats make great stuffed animals...
    Metanis likes this.
  3. Forty5 New Member

WTB Vah Shir SK
    Tamaden likes this.
  4. Tevraii Journeyman

Vah Shir rule, Iksars drool. Case closed.
  5. Zaviere Augur

So, in hindsight, I probably should have waited until after the weekend to start this thread, if I wanted any chance at catching the right eye(s) for some insightful replies. That being said, now that the week has begun, I'm going to go ahead and answer what questions I can myself, just to get the ball rolling!

(Please excuse my obvious biased opinions)

To be perfectly honest, it took me a while to discover my secret love of the Vah Shir race. I want to say it was somewhere around the DoDH-ish era that I finally made my first Vah Shir character (a Rogue), and I absolutely loved it from the start! But, it wasn't until years later, after I took a long break from EQ, that I came back and made my Vah Shir Bard that I have today, and truly became a champion of the feline people. In short, I ADORE the Vah Shir~

I've grown up, and lived, with cats all my life. I've always had a very strong connection to felines, so my ultimate meddling with the feline race in EQ was more or less inevitable. Particularly the white tiger Vah Shir - white tigers are my absolute favorite animal, for a LOT of reasons, especially one associated with my fondest memory of time spent with my late grandfather.

Beyond that, I just really admire the lore of the race itself. Getting blasted into space by some crazy wizard, at the time as a fairly primitive version of what they have now become, overcoming incredible challenges and hardships on Luclin... it's inspiring. They adapted, survived and ultimately thrived. That's pretty awesome, if you ask me.

There's really only one thing I would change about the race, if I could. And honestly, I suppose it's more of an addition than a change...

I want a fur pattern (ie. FACE) option that looks like Avacado from Final Space!

[IMG]

By far and away, the Vah Shir race is vastly superior. I mean, look at the way the Vah Shir liberated Iksar slaves from the clutches of the Shissar! The Iksar race should have Vah Shir statues in and around their city, just sayin'.

-------

I can't say it enough; I truly hope I can borrow just a little bit of time from one or more of you awesome folks who are responsible for the life of this great game, especially in regards to the two questions I was obviously unable to answer myself, about the history of the Vah Shir race and it's inception.

Cheers!
  6. Ngreth Thergn Developer

I like the Vah Shir, but I'm not Gaga over them. They are a nice addition. I think they have an interesting history. It is a bit weird that they are "Space Kitties: but... ::Shrug::

I think the weirdness of them being launched into space by an explosion is slightly offputting. But I like cats!

(I don't have an answer to the origin)

(I came way late to contribute!)

I like Vah Shir over Iksar because they aren't the crabby "evil" scaled things that the Iksar are!
  7. Sissruukk Rogue One

Iksar have feelings, too!
    Fanra and Sheex like this.
  8. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Shots fired. No bueno sir.

You’re just afraid of our raw power.
  9. Ngreth Thergn Developer

How do their feelings get through their scratchy and thick scales?
    (BTW... to be clear... I'm only having fun here!)
  10. Sissruukk Rogue One

Pheromones *sage nod*

(And I know you are having fun)
  11. Zaviere Augur

I knew you, if no one else, wouldn't let me down, Ngreth <3

And now that you have chosen to have fun and participate, you should definitely forward this thread to your fellow coworkers, encouraging them to give their input as well! :D
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  12. Roxxlyy Augur

Not technically a dev but I will answer anyways because *spoiler alert* this is my favorite race.

The space kitties are my favorite, but that's because I'm a cat person through all walks of life.

If I could change anything, well, I could perhaps have them stand a bit straighter on occasion? They're cats, so I get why they're almost always ready to pounce, but seeing those knees stay so bent hurts me.

I've only been here for 2 years so I can't answer this.

I've still only been here for 2 years so I still got nothing. :p

I do appreciate the Iksar, and have one myself. But like I said before, I'm a cat person. I find cats to be superior to almost everything. :)
    Zaviere likes this.
  13. Zaviere Augur

By all means, Roxxlyy! You are for sure still a part of the EQ team, and your input (and cat love) is greatly appreciated!
  14. niente Developer

I like them

I love cats. I just want to hug every cat

No

Most of us weren't here at the time, which is both a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing because, when something has poor extensibility after 10+ years, you can blame someone else and the person responsible (probably) won't know what you said. It's a curse because, that person isn't here to ask questions about what they were thinking, why something was done that way, or what alien planet they're from.

That being said, we do have the design documents. I am probably not allowed to say much about those, but I did find this post to be fairly accurate (some other posts in that thread are not). EQ lore has openly contradictory things in various places, as well as races and zones that were never implemented - Luclin is no exception; I'd assume only what can be sourced in game to be canon.

Iksar, because they're evil. Not enough games do evil very well. I always wanted to be on the bad guy's team (see: SoD iksar raids). Who would make a playable race that is KoS to every city in the game except their own, and their own city is largely a ruin? EverQuest.
    Slippry, EQ Dev, Sancus and 6 others like this.
  15. EnchFWO Augur

16. Zaviere Augur

LOVE this! Thanks so much for the link, and for your time answering my questions! :)
  17. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Proof, Iksar > Vah Shir confirmed!
  18. Zaviere Augur

Nonsense, the tally is 2-1, Vah Shir to Iksar. Keep dreaming, smelly lizard! :rolleyes:
  19. Numiko Augur

Interesting, I know of lots of zones that were never implemented (Luclin's Tower in Luclin being a good example) but was unaware there was some races planned but never put into the game.

Now I would like to know what they were!
  20. fransisco Augur

would be cool to do a return to luclin like we've done Kunark.
    Luclin always seemed like it had so much potential, but so much was unfinished (something about half the dev team quiting at a very bad time).
    Gyurika Godofwar and Yinla like this.