Back after 15 years!!!!

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Wister MacLeod, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Wister MacLeod New Member

Got into agnarr today and managed to get my druid to level 11. Having tons of fun but I am realizing my mana pool leaves something to be desired. I'm also mainhanding a cracked staff lol. I was embarrassed in this crushbone group I had as I was oom after every fight. Any tips on getting a decent weapon, or some caster gear that would help my dps? Have about 30 platnum but bot sure that's gonna get me anywhere. Well thanks for the answers if I get them and hope to see some of you in the game. Its so nice to have decent people to play with again.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  2. slayerofbats Augur

Don't worry about it, out of mana is normal. The whole point of classic (which is what Agnarr is all about) is to be slow, dangerous, challenging, and have lots of downtime. You could play regular servers where lame Defiant Armor drops with +99999 mana and the game becomes a joke. Or you can get twinked and everything becomes easy to the point that the game is not even worth playing.

Classic EQ is hard but that is what makes it unique and interesting. Also being OOM is the group's issue more than yours, at least until higher lvl. Groups should pull a bit slower and try harder to get singles. Druid is not a primary healer or dps, so the others in the group should be doing that. Also groups should have mana regen. These are rules of all groups, but only happens later.

At level 11 none of this is even possible. There is no mana regen, and other newbies will have weak gear so can't tank or do decent dps. So blowing mana is just the newbie way! Don't be afraid to just sit and med during some fights. If people are going oom, the group just needs to pull a bit slower and more carefully. Everything changes at higher levels, because you can get so strong, groups should be able to pull constantly and everyone should be able to cope. But that isn't until 40+.

As for gear, wait for level 30+. You can't get anything until then, and WIS gear is expensive and has tiny impact until you have lots of it. Save money for spells. In fights, just med, let others do damage and heals and save yourself for essentials like snare and emergency heals/nukes.

At 30+ you can work on gear, and you can also travel easier then.
    I would do this:
    Screaming Mace quest to get the Prayer Cloth of Tunare.
    Chipped Bone Bracelet which you could maybe solo in the 30s or get someone to help you camp it. You can have 2 of those and they will be a great start.
    Charred Guardian Shield, get a group to camp it. Really great item.
    Gatorscale Leggings. Need a group for this as well.
    Moonstone Ring you can buy this, keep looking for good prices and buy 2.
    Platinum Armband - buy this too.
    Blockcutter Gloves - solo this at 30 something.

Always 1st priority should be EXP though. If you can get a group to camp an item AND get exp at the same time, that is perfect. But if you struggle to find a group to camp some of these items, just go and exp instead. Because at level 40 something you can just solo camp most of these items which will be a lot faster than sharing with a group. Levels are everything. Then at higher level and you can get Shroud of Nature and a few other things. None of this stuff makes any difference by itself, but once you have a several items like that, you will feel stronger and have more mana. And then at higher levels you will be able to focus on the uber items like the Luminescent Staff. You can google all these items to find out where they drop. There are good Druid newbie gear lists online too but this should give you something to work towards.

TL;DR: decent gear is not even possible until the 30s. Groups should just take it easy until then.
  3. Wister MacLeod New Member

Hey thanks for the awesome in depth tips. Sounds like a plan I'll stick to. I wasn't sure when you started getting gear in this game but I'll be 30 in no time. Back at it again today. Toons name is Wister. Let's go!!!!
  4. Roxxlyy Augur

Welcome back to Norrath! You'll definitely find that things have changed quite a bit in the last 15 years, but once you get back into the swing of things you'll do just fine. :p
    Rolaque and IblisTheMage like this.
  5. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I'd highly recommend a trip to the Bazaar. You can find many nice upgrades for 1 to 10pp for many of the slots. Even if you just pick up a few pieces it can help quite a bit. I've geared up two low level characters there since Luclin launched and it was pretty easy. Once you get to the Bazaar, type /bazaar. Set Race/Class and slot, hit Find, sort by price. Compare the low price stuff and pick one.

If you need help getting to the Bazaar just let us know where you are and we can explain the route.
  6. Yruc Augur

Welcome back. Were you able to get your old account back? If you have great, if not do it, it is defiantly worth it. The old accounts have veteran rewards which will help on the live servers if you ever move there (can't use any vet rewards on agnarr)

If you have any of the crushbone belts / shoulder pads or scalps do the quests for faction and money (they nerfed the xp from the quests) The belts and shoulder pads turn in to the warrior guild in Kaladim and it gives you some raw hide armor (some might be able to wear but most not, just sell for money)

The orc scalps take a bunch and goto high hold keep to turn them into the captain, he gives 5 gold each for them (more than you get from selling to vender) you can also buy from players for 2 gold and still make a decent profit on it. It can be a bit of a run so stock up before you go)

Head to unrest at 11 and get a yard group. Don't worry about snaring anything as it doesn't run. Bind outside and once bags full of rusty / bronze origin back home, sell then gate back and back into group within 2 minutes... You aren't the best of

Don't worry too much about gear. It will come as you level. Also check bazaar for cheap gear, just select druid / armor and then sort cheapest to most expensive, sometime can find some decent armor for cheap.
  7. Sagarmatha Augur

Run as fast and far as you can from Agnarr. Corinav starts soon, and you will not be capped at a middle expansion. Starting on Agnarr right now = WORST idea EVER. Most of Agnarr will move there as well.
  8. Fluid Augur

You didn't mention your race. If you are a 'little people' you can wear
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=1966
    I just look at the vendors to pick up the pristine carapace. Maybe a couple of pp for a nice piece of armor. As others said, turn in Crushbone belts in Kaladim to get your faction up.

For other slots I almost always get bear hide boots.
    https://wiki.project1999.com/Bear_Hide_Armor
    The belt and cloak are good to, but you could probably double your money selling the High Quality Bear hide, they are sought after to make containers.

That should give you decent amor class and the boots will make your buffs last longer.

If you don't want to spend a lot of time questing, I just checked the bazaar and people are selling the Serpentine Bracer for 9 pp. Probably the best bargain of the bazaar since you will use it into the 40s.

Truth be told, I don't always do the faction work on all the characters. I just create a druid/ranger in Qeynos and use the common bank to get the bear hide armor. Same holds true for the Scarab armor, Dwarf Paladin can cash in w/o doing any extra faction work. Unrest is the defacto place to level but I usually go somewhere else with a Druid. It can sometimes be hard to get into a group there as once formed, people have a tendency to never leave. I'll keep an eye out for you in game. Long as you aren't in Unrest I may give you some old items I don't use anymore, that is if you aren't already at level 60! :)
  9. IblisTheMage Augur

10. Wister MacLeod New Member

The leveling gas been incredibly easy. Leave 20 now in paludal cavs.
  11. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Nobody knows for sure what most of Agnarr will do. Coirnav has slower exp and is more of a raiding server like Phinny. There is no reason he shouldn't have fun on Agnarr right now and make decisions about the rest later. Coirnav is still 13 days away.

People have been saying Agnarr is a dead server since before it launched. It's not dead right now, and likely won't die just because Coirnav launches. Only time will tell. So I would recommend the OP just have fun relearning the game and playing the toons he's already enjoying playing. When Coirnav launches he can check it out and make that call when it's relevant.
  12. Caziclady New Member

I too have returned after many years. Have got a cleric to level 11 but I am playing free version. I am so darn lonely probably going to quit again. Was told the way I play is "old school" and no one does quests, just grind xp.

Are the progression servers more like old school and are the zones busy?

Is it too late to start a character on a progression server? I am willing to start over on the cleric if cannot transfer. Please advise before I quit or subscribe. Thanks.
  13. Yemeth New Member

Actually it isnt, I can think of several other really bad idea´s, thing is m8 when you quit Everquest and come back, you really dont come back for the new stuff.

You come back for the stuff you remember, so old EQ players that quit prior 2007 ish, will probably stay at Agnarr as it is the only option if you want to relive your adventures in mostly unchanged zones.
  14. Yemeth New Member

You will find that Agnarr is exactly that what is "missing" in your search, it is the only server that stops pumping expansions after the PoP era, most old school zones are busy :)
  15. Yruc Augur

Unfortunately live servers are top heavy because they are so old, most characters are at max level or close to it. So the chances of grouping with anyone before 100 is slim. On the live server you will have to find a guild that helps new and returning people or you might get lucky and catch someone leveling an alt. So on live servers plan to play by yourself till around level 100.

If you want the old feeling of playing everquest with people, I do recommend one of the TLP servers. As for which one, that's for you to decide but all the TLP servers require a subscription.

Phinigel - has decent population, but is several expansions in and not a lot of lower level grouping but it can be found. - Will eventually become a live server

Agnarr - luclin just launched a few weeks ago and will only go up to LDoN expansion and then lock and no more expansions. Currently leveling 1-60 is fairly easy to get a group at all levels. -- no one know what will happen when agnarr reaches LDoN. Will everyone leave / stop playing / roll alts? will be interesting to see, but certainly has a shelf life.

Coirnav - will be very much like phinigel and will start on March 16th, a chance for any that missed the Phinigel the first time around and think it is too late to start there and for those on Agnarr realizing that they may want to continue after LDoN...
  16. Dahaman Augur

For a free account, limited to "live" servers, you will have to solo (or "molo" with a mercenary) for most of your leveling career. Whether you simply grind out XP or quest, is entirely up to you. Questing is slower XP and you will be solo longer, but I think it is the much more fun option.

For live server, free account questing, the Hero's Journey tome is excellent for a long, long time. Start in Crescent Reach at level 1 (not the tutorial) and quest from level 1 to the level 90s. If you have never done this quest line before, it is surprisingly lengthy and rewarding.

However, if you are game to have a paid account, then the progression servers are much better for low level grouping. You'll find groups pretty quick... if you can stay on the wave.

The best recommendation I can make in this regard is to familiarize yourself with the game for now. On March 16th, the new TLP server Coirnav will open. Start your cleric on that server and join lots of groups. Make friends. Join a guild. You should be set for a long, long time.
  17. Caziclady New Member

Thanks all!