If I could ask the Devs one question...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Montag, Feb 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greymantle Augur

HEH beats having to jump out a window on command...
    Metanis likes this.
  2. Sindaiann Augur

You can always run thru, emphasis on thru, the pebto aura pre Guardian going active to help aid in getting under 70 mana.
  3. AlmarsGuides Augur

In my experience the only way I was able to avoid Voice Chat in a guild is by lying and saying I was deaf. I didn't do this using Almar as my name though, it was mostly an experiment to see how far I would have to take things to actually get a pass.

Even when directly applying to a guild as Almar and saying that I will join Voice Chat/use GINA if I mess up even once on a raid and I will not complain a single time about it - I am still told no that I must be attending in Voice and GINA in order to raid with that guild. That's one of the 3 main reasons I don't join guilds in EQ. I can't think while other people are talking which is a big problem I have. If someone is barking orders at me or someone else over voice it's guaranteed that I am going to make a mistake cause my brain just can't function while people are blabbing.

That and my second biggest pet peeve with Voice Chat is 90% of the chat isn't constructive. There's a reason I don't join General Channels or enable any form of public chat when I play - because I don't feel like hearing about all of these people's lives. I have my own life to worry about and considering the fact that I can't "think" while people are talking it prevents me from doing anything for the entire duration of that raid in voice chat. I just have to sit there and listen to people talk for 4 hours which only builds resentment towards those people because I'm being forced to talk/listen to people I don't even want to talk to.

Voice Chat in MMORPGs is the absolute worst.
    Bolo and MasterMagnus like this.
  4. segap Augur

Having some missions be mini raids is fine in my opinion. But they really should be one-offs outside of progression. I don't think the End of Empire Sky Fire mission should be a roadblock to group players accessing a zone. Give such missions valuable rewards that both groupers and raiders would desire, but let people access all the content without having to deal with raid-like mechanics if it's not their thing.

Also, content progression should progressively get harder as you get deeper in it. We've had a pattern for several expansions where there are gate keeper tasks (and raids) in the middle of content progression and easy candy land content at the end. That just stymies people/guilds in the middle, leaving them less overall content while giving the strongest easy mode at the end.
  5. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I have the same problem but kind of reversed. I can't hear people talking when I'm thinking. They are usually a few words in when I realize I'm supposed to be listening. So then I say "wait, what?" and they always start from where they already were, and I'm like, "no start the sentence over."

Yes, this. Every time I join the general channels it lasts about 5 minutes, I can't stand to listen to people ramble on about nothing. Small talk is the devil. Voice chat in games can be good in small groups, but at the large scale level it can be very annoying. I loved voice chat when it first came out actually. I've grown to dislike it over the years though.
    Bolo likes this.
  6. kizant Augur

Drakes in Skyfire may be annoying but let's not pretend that it's complicated. If you see the giant target ring then move out of it. Look up and kill the drake staring at you. There should be more randomness to respond to so it's harder for bots and keeps you from being bored!
  7. Siddar Augur

I would ask about station cash sales. If there has been overall increase are decrease in the dollar amount generated by them. Prior to switch to the no station cash sales as opposed to now.

I would guess there has been a large decline in revenue generated.
  8. Zhaunil_AB Augur

This.

The "i want a challenge" crowd should by all means get it. No matter if it's "complex" or "raid-like" scripts.
    But that should happen in dedicated instances and outside of champion/paragon/Challenger achievements, somewhat like Crestra's earring that is an "on top" but not part of the actual expansion-progression.
    Speaking of progression, that should be well... progressive.
    And not like climbing a steep mountain only to find that you slide down on the other end into the land of loot.

"The absolute worst" to me are the botters (not boxers, but those that use automation scripts/programs).
    A close second are those few that even publicly advertise such.

I can not really speak for other guilds, let alone other servers, but:
    I know of no guild on AB that has a mandatory voice chat.

Voice chat makes many things easier, but as was said, it should not be NEEDED.
    Like GINA or in-game audio-triggers - they too should not be NEEDED (but we require that).
    As was said, unless the voice-chat is heavily moderated or top-down only, there tends to be as much chitchat as in some public transportation.
    Good or bad, unless the game offers it itself, it should not be "relied" on.

And in the case of GINA, this lags out my client (not my computer, my client).
    I wonder how though as i assign GINA to one core and the EQ client i raid with to another, but the turn-rate (for example) suffers bigtime when it's on, even though the triggers are for one event only (to keep down the number of checks to a minimum already).
    Besides, GINA too is "unreliable" when we have chat-lag.

Which leads me to the ONE question i currently have, if i am limited to just that one:
    When do we see AB behaving "as it should" again, i.e. as it did in the first half on 2016?
    (Yes it's been that long!)
    Bolo likes this.
  9. gnomeboss Augur

behold, gnomeboss' guide to voice chat in EQ. feel free to put this on your site. i don't even need credit.

1. install. make sure it functions. etc.

2. research your guild. who handles dkp and loot? they get a pass. raid leader too. class officer, sure.

3. start the cull.

a. a screaming child in the background. MUTE.
    b. a barking dog in the background. MUTE.
    c. a fan immediately beside their computer. MUTE.
    d. anyone who insists on watching the newest episode of The Voice on max volume while they raid. MUTE.
    e. anyone who mentions beverages: what they are drinking, if they need a drink, how they are fetching a coffee. MUTE.
    f. anyone who mentions sports. MUTE.
    g. anyone who mentions cars. MUTE.

4. enjoy the spoils of your crusade.
    Kobra, Metanis, svann and 4 others like this.
  10. Sissruukk Rogue One

Never. :p
  11. Bigstomp Augur

Assuming their overlay triggers actually work and stay on the screen long enough to read.
    I know on prince if I didn't have the text in my chat window I would have missed directions on where to light torches probably half the time. The overlay triggers just went away too quickly.
  12. Bobsmith Augur

If I could ask the devs one thing it would be... Does Barbiee cackle with enjoyment when she kills a whole guild in a matter of seconds.

You have been utterly destroyed.
    You have taken 6300000 points of damage.
    You have been knocked unconscious!
    You have been slain by Barbiee!
  13. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

It makes it difficult for people with lives to box in that zone. Impossible no. But if its all so easy why bother with it at all? This is what I don't get. People go on and on about how they arent a problem so just remove them. Easy peasy.
  14. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I just wish you would do away with the need to co-ordinate clicking things or hails with clues or fix the chat lag, anything upto 4 minutes chat lag since February patch on AB during raids make things like this impossible, I'd rather go back to jumping out of windows,
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  15. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I dislike the overlay emote, I find it more of a distraction that a help. I much prefer my audio triggers.

I'd be quite happy to go back to just having the yellow text for emotes. :)
  16. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Different classes had different issues with that raid, but most if not all had ways of dropping mana quickly. Casting high mana dots, buffs, nukes, stripping as a last resort, while others needed more mana and were constantly in need of mod rods, miracles and other mana regen tricks. It was one of the raids I enjoyed most in EoK and got the adrenaline pumping.
    kizant likes this.
  17. kizant Augur

You're right, why do we need any obstacles when it's all easy and just takes time that people with lives don't have? Just remove all the mobs and fill Skyfire chests that give xp and items when you open them. That sounds like a fun game.
    Bolo and Sancus like this.
  18. AlmarsGuides Augur

Yea, damn those people that follow the rules, suggest others do so, and use third party programs to enjoy the game. They're just the worstest of the worst. I mean, isn't it obvious? It's like everyone nice in Everquest doesn't use third party software and everyone that does is a total butthole!!!! Everyone who uses Third Party Software is all like "you better start using third party software or I am going to advocate you're banned" and all the non users are like "why can't you just treat us like human beings like everyone else? Is that too much to ask?"

P.S - I get it, you don't like me but no matter how much you complain I won't back down; Tom Petty style. I've asked enough people and done enough research to know that 100% I am not breaking the game's rules and am allowed to use this program as well as advertise it.

All I want is to help people enjoy this game as much as humanly possible and to have everyone treat others with respect. People like you, Zhaunil_AB will never treat all people with respect, that's obvious. The words you've spoken to me thus far make it clear that you don't care about the feelings of others so long as they fit into a group of people you don't like. I care about everyone, equally. Given the opportunity I would very well defend even your feelings if I felt they were being encroached on unjustly.

But, it's ok if you don't like me and it's ok if other people don't like me and disagree with what I am trying to accomplish with Em Queue two. A majority of the people who tell me I am doing the wrong thing are all people who are clinging to their bitter held opinions and actually want to mistreat and harm others. I don't agree with this and I can tell that their viewpoint and opinion, your view point and opinion, is wrong.

This is the same recommendation I got from guild leaders and officers. I was told just join vent and mute the entire thing. I was uncomfortable with lying like this so that didn't really work for me.

They wanted me to join vent not because they were concerned with me being bad but because they didn't want other people to see I didn't have to join voice chat and then complain about them being forced to join.

It's at that point I realized the majority type of people that join and lead Everquest guilds. They aren't people I would want to form friendships with or even talk to. That's reasons #2 and #3 of why I don't join guilds.
  19. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

This thread is missing the real hot questions for the devs, the ones where knowing the answers could really change our lives. Things like:

Development IDE Background Color = Black or White?
  20. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

I would ask them for an evict button so guild leaders can better manage guild owned neighborhood plots....
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.