Coirnav and a wizard

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by 71samirish, Feb 24, 2018.

1. 71samirish New Member

I am contemplating coming back for the new Coirnav server. I was thinking of rolling a wizard. However, I've read a couple of posts now that state, dont make wizard if you want to group. Why is that? Are wizards really so bad??
  2. CM99games Journeyman

I think Wizards are great ranged burst DPS for the classic era of everquest because the mobs don't have a lot of hit points, nor do they summon. The problem could be that the mana regen rate on Coirnav might be so slow that it is inefficient to use a wizard. Still, I've been testing AE teams with 2 or 3 wizards and I like what I see.

3. Ginix Augur

Wizards are great in raids, but do certainly suffer from finding groups. Many groups will pick any other class before a wizard. They can spit out huge bursts of damage, but spend most of their time medding. They are not thought of as good sustained DPS and outside that, they offer no other group utility. They are often thought of as AFK, a reputation they may or may not deserve as the group doesn't see much of them outside sitting waiting for mana. It's def true that Wizzies struggle to find group slots.
  4. Kolani Augur

Wizards are one of the classes that benefits immensely from ooc regen, but I think that's TSS era on the TLPs.
  5. Sagarmatha Augur

I mained a Wizard on Agnarr and finding groups was BRUTAL.

During peak hours, it wasn't too bad because a lot of my guild was logged on, but even MAKING groups was challenging late at night. Keep in mind, a lot of $hit and lazy players roll Wizards because they're painfully easy to play. As others have noted, a very large percentage of Wizards are AFK losers, and due to the absolute simplicity of the class, there really is no utility.
  6. 71samirish New Member

Do druids have the same problem finding groups as wizards?
  7. Chibz Journeyman

How about giving a Live server a chance while waiting for Coirnav? We are running a small Progression Style guild called We Remember on Trakanon. None of the limitations on TLP. Play what class and race you want, use mercs to level, box if you want. We are currently in Kunark era so a great time to join, you can be in the 50’s in a few days.
  8. Yruc Augur

Main wiz on Agnarr. Getting groups is hard if you don't have a set group / good guild. Groups would rather have a melee dps where they can see if the person is afk or not. A few bad afk wizards give the rest of the good wizards a bad name and makes it harder to get groups.
  9. Sagarmatha Augur

Not if they're willing to heal.

Too many players rolled teleporting toons because they thought they would make all the PHAT LOOT by charging for rides. Like half the server didn't think of that? The result on Agnarr was an overpopulation of Wizards and Druids that were only playing the class so their "clever" plan would make them rich. They were playing the classes for all the wrong reasons.

Hell, there was even a /taxi and /uber channel set specifically for rides. The taxi folk never even charged, and I could find them all day or night!
    Buford T. Justice likes this.
  10. Buford T. Justice New Member

I loved that Taxi channel. A lot of cool peeps there!

I went back to live because even though I will probably jump from TLP to TLP as they come out, I didn't like the idea of stopping at an expansion. Crazy, right?
  11. Zansobar Augur

I mained a Wiz on Agnarr and leveling was hard. Finding PUGs is very hard, you just don't bring much to the table compared to most every other class. Once Luclin came around the extra mana regen from FT items and other buffs and potions helps a lot, but that is a year or so out on Coirnav...no reason to make a Wiz at launch, wait until they are decent...same thing with Rogues and I would put Rangers in there too.
  12. Tachyon Augur

Wizards rock!

I mained a Wizzy on Agnarr from day one and never had an issue finding a group. And the port money wasn't bad either!

On the dps/mana thing, just play smart:

1) Don't get obsessed with you new high damage (high mana) nuke. You are going to get resisted and you are much better off going a step down. A resisted 300hp nuke costs you a lot less than a resisted 800hp nuke. Judge the mobs/situation and nuke wisely.

2) Nuke zone is 90-30%. Don't waste mana to drop 1k on a mob that is at 3%.

3) Manage your mana wisely and you can be the savior when you nuke down two to three mobs on an overpull.

4) Sit!

5) Evac 20 seconds before anyone asks you to. Every tank thinks they can survive until they are at 5%. Generally 30% is getting iffy. A smart Evac gets you back in action in 10 minutes. A rez run is 30-plus.

6) When raiding know your mobs. What spells to cast. When to use rains. When to use low resist/higher mana nukes. It's all out there. If you can't find it, don't play a Wizzy.

7) Wizzys are the coders of EQ. They think about options and efficiency. If that's your mindset you can do very well.
    Sikem likes this.
  13. Undustas Lorekeeper

Tachyon pretty much nailed it.

I was also ahead of the curve as a wiz on agnarr, I hit 50 decently fast, I would say I was just above average on leveling speed as I beat a lot of the masses.

This thing where people say wizards don't get groups is just wrong, I literally always had a group. I camped out in the spot I wanted to group, for instance AM camp, I would log out there when I was done, log back in to play and join every pick to find a group..literally took no more than 15 minutes. People will take who's available, why take someone who's 30 minutes away vs me who is already there. Also use your wiz channel, we tend to find a rep from our class channel

This notion that was just sit is so false also. Use mana efficient spells, frost shock is our most efficient spell. It has a damage to mana ratio of 3.93, it cost off the top of my head 90 mana, it does 314 dmg. I could do 2 per mob on pulls no problem. 628 dmg is about 25% of a high level lguk mob. If I could use a rain spell I will always use the rain spell.

Wizards are the saviors of the group, you have a 6 pull, don't worry I will throw mana efficiency out the window and burn 3 mobs instantly, groups saved.

Oh a bad pull and charm broke, we have 8 mobs in camp no worries I will evac us and avoid a wipe, now the dwarf cleric doesn't need to run 40 minutes from his home town back to lguk.

Wizards are amazing. Mana efficiency is the key, I can nuke every mob, now granted we need a chanter, but every group wants them anyway.

Just my 2 cents.
  14. Brunlin Augur

This will be the AOE team server...there is a lot of premades doing 2 to 3 wizards in their group. As for just playing a Wizard and pugging, you should do fine as early on no one gets turn down regardless of class.