Coirnav - FV Rules

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Hilikus, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Hilikus New Member

@DayBreak

Hey Team, Thanks for keeping an awesome game alive! I have been playing EQ for a long time and I'm still loving it. On these forums we read many differing thoughts and opinions...one that we all agree with is EQ is about to hit its 19th birthday, and that certainly is awesome. I am VERY thankful for that!!!

I've been reading on the forums about the upcoming Corinav server, anxiously awaiting to roll up a character who's class seems to change day-to-day. I have seen quite a few posts of our player base wanting something new with this prog server. I've seen many posts who propose the Firiona Vie ruleset as one they would like to see for a welcome change this time around.

I personally agree.

I'm not sure about what kind of feat this would entail as a developer (as I am not a dev) but I thought I would help gather data on what the player base feels about adopting the Firiona Vie ruleset, or parts of it, for the upcoming Corinav server.

@Norrathians

Please repost to this thread with the following Hashtags if you would like to see the following Firiona Vie rules applied to the Corinav server:

#ExpBonus
    Reply this if you are interested in an increased xp bonus vs the norm.
    #TradableItems
    Reply this if you are interested in items being generally more tradeable.
    #LanguageBarrier
    Reply this if you are interested in no common tongue.
    #RolePlaying
    Reply this if you are interested in roleplaying your character (no /ooc, only shout; you are expected to pretend you are your character in the world)

You can just copy paste these into your post. Feel free to discuss and derail to your hearts content; however, ensure you include the hashtags as a means of placing your "vote" as to what you would like to see on Corinav.

Let's all understand there may be limitations we're not privy to which would not allow for this change, and that (if you agree) what we're asking is not at all guaranteed. Our "Vote" is not really a choice we have, but rather just a voicing of our thoughts here.

Also, yeah sorry for the corny hashtags...they predate twitter and faceyspaces though. This is a real means of querying data from a non-database source. Your text must match exactly - use copy/paste!
  2. Tachyon Augur

Against the whole concept! Having to 'do stuff' is what makes progression servers fun. If you want quick progression FV live is an awesome option!!
    Dragon Jockey likes this.
  3. Hateseeker Augur

Agreed, except roleplaying is something that can be done anywhere.

There's been more than enough servers with anti-economy no-trade systems. There should never have been no-trade to this extent in the first place.

And Live FV is not a meaningful option. It starts, well, with Live. That means anything you do prior to the last few expansions you will either do alone or with a very small crew that you recruit to voluntary expansion-limit themselves with you, and if that was a valid way to do it then there'd be no purpose whatsoever to TLP.
  4. Tachyon Augur

No trade systems exist so people actually do content as opposed to buying it. FV was the buyers server from day one. You don't really need another one. If you wanted to go that route I'd probably just create a server where you could buy progression via daybreak cash.
    Dragon Jockey likes this.
  5. Hateseeker Augur

Someone always still has to do content, otherwise no content(gear) would enter the game. You're saying every single player should have to do the exact same content to get the exact same gear, which I don't agree with. The same arguments could be used to say there shouldn't be meaningful crafting because you should have to do raids/hard mobs to get it yourself. And indeed, EQ does not have meaningful crafting, in the sense that crafting, while it exists, requires components that come from raids/hard mobs.

I'm curious to see if new games like Pantheon take a more competent approach.
  6. Tachyon Augur

Buy your way my friend, not my game!
    Dragon Jockey and NitroNic like this.
  7. Hateseeker Augur

I played on FV back in, not when it opened, but like 2-3 years later. It's different now due to krono, but pre-krono, the idea that you could simply buy stuff was pretty laughable. Prices were so high, spending 6 months and barely being able to buy one Solteris piece hardly ruined anything.

Granted there were people who did RMT outside the game and took the risk of being scammed, but my guess is, kronos have facilitated more loot-rights purchases of raid gear on no-trade servers than there ever were on FV pre-krono (meaning tradeable purchases on FV, not loot rights purchases). Loot-rights purchasers aren't doing the content either.
    Chatoyan and potatoface like this.
  8. Tachyon Augur

I played day one on FV, 1999. We didn't buy krono (obviously) but the channels were there and plentiful. I'll try not to throw shade on people that like that kind of game, but it's very different from what I enjoy.
  9. Skalde Elder

..... FV didn't even come out in 1999..... and there was no channels....... In a way TLP is virtually like FV everyone plays until they can no longer sell or buy gear with krono and move on to the next new TLP :p
    potatoface likes this.
  10. Hateseeker Augur

Yea, it's funny how the early expansions have mostly tradeable loot, and everyone seems to want a new TLP once they get to the no-trade expansions.

What do other MMORPGs than EverQuest do for this? since I haven't played any.
  11. Tachyon Augur

Monetary channels, they were there.
  12. Zaviere Augur

Oh darn, I seem to have wandered into another TLP thread... I have GOT to stop doing this!

But while I'm here...

This could not be further from the truth. I was a member of THE raiding guild on FV back in those days - Fire and Fury - and the amount of raid gear that would get quietly siphoned away from the raiding member base and onto the leader's Magelo "store" toon, and subsequently sold for real money, was staggering. And there were ALWAYS ready and willing customers to buy the gear. It wasn't ALWAYS RMT, as I can remember eventually leaving the guild, selling back some of my old Druid's raid gear and buying new gear from the guy for large sums of plat for a different character I had created (a Beastlord, I believe) but there was for sure a lot of RMT-ing going on for old TSS, TDS and even low teir SoF raid gear.

Anyways, I haven't played on FV since around the launch of SoD, so I have no idea how the economy is there now a days. But, I HIGHLY doubt that your claim of modern day, krono-based loot rights purchases far outweighing back-in-the-day FV RMT transactions, is anywhere near correct.

All that aside, I don't generally invest much time and effort in TLPs, but off the top of my head, I would have to say an FV loot rights TLP server might actually be a relatively big success. And when I say success, I mean in regards to massive income for Daybreak. Cause nothing else matters, right?!
    potatoface likes this.
  13. Xazier Elder

Absolutely agree with this, If they had a FV TLP there is no sense in starting over because people will still play till end game and I bet it will be very lively from day classic till the end.
  14. Xazier Elder

Plus FV loot rules post luclin will make it so people will actually purchase more krono from DBG to buy the things being farmed.
  15. Hateseeker Augur

I'd like to see your equal and opposite (i.e., someone from a major TLP raiding guild) weigh in on this. There have certainly been enough threads over the past few years accusing X guildmaster/banker of doing exactly what you described to compete, I think.

Plus there's the fact that TLP servers are generally most active in the tradeable eras, and we all know the krono sales are extremely active. And even though krono are "legit" since they're Daybreak approved, it still counts as RMT sales in my mind, and as such the tradeable early expansions of TLP still deserve to be weighed against early FV.
    potatoface likes this.
  16. Magic Augur

17. Roxxlyy Augur

For the record petitions/polls are against the forum rules but this thread is functioning as a discussion and I'm perfectly okay with that, so I will not be removing/locking the thread.
    Foaming and potatoface like this.
  18. Yruc Augur

Can you comment if published Coirnav server rules are set in stone or is there still some wiggle room?
    potatoface likes this.
  19. taliefer Augur

i have 0 interest in playing on a FV ruleset progression server. i dont get the appeal of tradeable everything. seems like a krono farmers/RMTers wet dream. i dont have a problem with krono, but FV loot rules? easy pass.

i do think the slowed down exp rates on a fast paced progression server still makes no sense tho.
    Dragon Jockey and potatoface like this.
  20. Silinius Augur

From a guild leader standpoint, FV Loot rules are an amazing tool to help facilitate guild growth.

Have a new applicant who isn't quite up to speed on gear but has passed their trial period? Go use some guild funds to grab some comparable gear for them from the bazaar or from your current members who are willing to donate, to loan them until they can get equivalent or better gear in raids.

Need to stock the guild bank to do the above or pay for regents, sell some older raid gear on the bazaar.

Need a specific class and one of your guild members is willing to main switch? Give them some incentive by offering to buy some gear for them to help make the switch easier.

From a regular members perspective:

If your guild is doing split raids on certain instanced content (like PoTime, TacVi, Anguish etc.), you have the opportunity to buy raid level loot from the last expansion on your alt so that you are a benefit and not a liability to the raid.

Want to make Krono so that you never have to "pay" for your account(s)? Go farm some rare "no-drop" type items or better yet in earlier eras such as Kunark and Velious, epic pieces and sell for plat or Krono.

Don't have a guild that can do certain content or do you just not have the time to raid consistently? No problem! Sell some random stuff that people want in the bazaar (or tunnel or in /auction) and save up for Uber_Sword_Of_Unlimited_Power_01.

These are just a few examples I can come up with off the top of my head.

FV Loot Rules can and will likely foster an environment of open market trading and yes, certain individuals will try to use it as a way to RMT... but the benefits to the player base imo FAR outweigh the downsides.
    Ronzark likes this.