@Prathun Please look into this unsolved quest.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Icetea, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Icetea Lorekeeper

Hello, Prathun.

Can you look into this quest please ? It been bothering me for years since I couldn’t solve it and would really appreciate it if you look it up and give some hints or perhaps fix it when you have the time =)

Fern Flower Collection
  2. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

I'd bet a shiny krono the alla comments are right and either the mantrap buds should be TINY or the bag itself should hold SMALL items.
  3. Prathun Developer

The treasure table that drops the item needed for the combine isn't attached to anything. The quest cannot be completed. Will create a ticket to fix it for a future update.
  4. Risiko Augur

You mean that all these years when yall told us that there was thousands of quests that had never been completed in Everquest, nobody bothered to verify that they COULD be completed LOL.... :p That's just mean jhahaha
  5. Prathun Developer

Darchias, Sumonerr_Tunare and Icetea like this.
  6. Bobsmith Augur

Nah, keep trying. You will get it. Lol
  7. Risiko Augur

Wouldn't you get a performance boost by removing these "incomplete" and "test" quests from the database?
  8. Icetea Lorekeeper

Thank you so much for taking the time to look it up, it might be a long forgetten quest that no one cared about, but to some of us these quests what makes Everquest mysterious and fun. I can’t wait to finish this quest after all these years of researching and trying every possible combination.

Prathun, your posts about Everquest mechanics and quests are the best, specially for us old school players.

Thanks again and keep it up.
    eepok, Prathun and snailish like this.
  9. Prathun Developer

How would you identify which quests were incomplete but near enough to completion to be worth fixing / finishing, and which have too little data to save?
    Darchias likes this.
  10. -wycca Augur

[IMG]
    Risiko likes this.
  11. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

Here are the quests we have marked as unsolved on allakhazam for Kunark.

Blood Ink
    Cabilis Pale Ale (Firiona Vie)
    Fern Flower Collection
    Illweed Parchment
    Odd Items
    Shuriken of Scale
    The Katana
    The Loom
    The Realm of Heroes -- Felwithe
    The Realm of Heroes -- Misty Thicket
    The Realm of Heroes -- Neriak
    The Realm of Heroes -- North Qeynos
    The Realm of Heroes -- Oggok
    The Realm of Heroes -- West Cabilis
    The Telson

Perhaps some people can run these quests and figure out exactly what's wrong with them to let Prathun know and see if the quest is worth the trouble of fixing.
    eepok, snailish and Icetea like this.
  12. Machentoo Augur

You mean you don't have the documentation from 18 years ago still? :p
  13. TelinDarkforest Journeyman

snailish likes this.
  14. Icetea Lorekeeper

I have tried to solve some of these in the past with no luck, hopefully all these unsolved quests will get solved/restored someday, they add flavor to the TLPs.

The realm of heroes quests are for GM rewards as far as I know (Guessing these were supposed to be the rewards since I’ve seen coins/rewards on Stormhammer server, I didn’t get a coin so I can’t confirm)

Prathun did a really good job fixing many quests so far ( Kunark Archaeologist, Yimmrek's Shadow Walker Boots, etc)
  15. Prathun Developer

What's documentation? ;)

Unfortunately, there's little to no documentation for old-style quests from the early days of EverQuest. And there's no designer at the company who worked on the game before 2002 to talk to about their intent. Digging through old data, change logs, patch notes, and forums posts to try to figure out what a quest is supposed to do or why it doesn't work is... for lack of a better word... archaeological. Sometimes this digging leads to restoring some long forgotten quest with interesting rewards, which is awesome. Sometimes it leads to nothing useful at all after up to several hours spent looking, which is less awesome.

With regards to cleaning defunct data out of the quest database, the performance cost of a quest that isn't attached to an NPC is nil and the cost of a quest that is attached to an NPC but can't be completed is practically nil. The cost of going over 6600+ old style quests with a fine-toothed comb to figure out which ones can be improved, excised, or left alone is months of design time.

Often the most fruitful quest fixes come from looking into in-game quests that appear to be *nearly* completable. Those often can be repaired and with relatively little fuss.
    Gana, Tarvas, eepok and 3 others like this.
  16. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

I know it's not the quest you listed (I'm pretty sure that one is just a bad entry related to the Iksar SK #5 quest)

But i did update Marda's Secret Mission which involves Dorn B'Dynn, though I still don't know how to finish it, maybe someone else can dig deeper.
  17. Machentoo Augur

Just so we're clear, I was being sarcastic. I think it is well known there is little to no documentation from those days, and it is a marvel that you are able to fix any quests at all dating from that era (and even more, that you are willing to do so!) Thanks for your hard work. It seems like you have taken it up about ten notches in the last few years fixing all sorts of old stuff for the TLP community to enjoy. This stuff is greatly appreciated--even if it doesn't take much time, for those who are paying attention to details like this it makes a big difference.
    Gana, snailish and Prathun like this.
  18. Risiko Augur

This is where I wish I had access to your database because I know I could figure out a way to automate a lot of it. There's always going to be things that aren't as easy to figure out, but I'd bet I could develop some scripts to at least organize what you have in to solvable and unsolvable quests.

For example, the first thing I would do is organize all the items in the game based on if they are drops, crafted, or the result of quests. From that I would look for orphaned items that exist in the database but have no known way of being obtained. And so on. It would be a lot of work, but worth it in my opinion.

Convince them to let someone like myself come work with yall for a week, and I'll do it during a vacation sometimes. I obviously won't get it completed in a week, but I can help get you started in the right direction for free.
    snailish and Prathun like this.
  19. Angahran Augur

Wasn't it an intern who came in and did the epic request series of quests ?
    Can't you find that guy again and set him loose on the quest database ?
    Risiko and eepok like this.
  20. Prathun Developer

Oh, sorry! I see how my response made it look like I didn't get the joke. Edited it a little.
    Just wanted to talk about the process a little and answer some other questions.

I found him... in his office. That guy was Dzarn and he isn't an intern anymore and hasn't been for some time. :)
    Krezzy, Gana, eepok and 2 others like this.