Ranger main on Coirnav, what to 3-box?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Thewiz, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Thewiz Augur

So I want to main a Ranger on Coirnav. I also plan to 3-box. What would make a good team?

My idea is to go Ranger, Shaman, Bard. I'd like to hear of other combos that any of you have done successfully.
  2. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Why you gotta come to my server with your cheating. Pre reporting you for ruining my life.

That said, might also swap shaman for a druid. You can kinda slow with bard, and the DS +evacs will come in handy.
    Thewiz likes this.
  3. Barudin_Phinigel Augur

People are going to come up with some insane combinations so honestly just play whatever you want.

My opinion: Ranger + clr/enc to carry your ranger as I remember them being pretty bad in classic.
  4. HappyPanda Augur

In Agnarr Classic, we had some Ranger / Bard combos that were very happy with their choice. I think you can't go wrong with a Shaman to match though you could put many other things with it and see success.
  5. Bogre New Member

might as well just go ench/cleric and get rich in classic and kunark and then think about pling a ranger + bard or shaman or both for luclin+
  6. Tachyon Augur

I'd swap out the Bard for a Necro or a Wizzy. You have buffs, heals and slows covered but you want more dps. Wizzy gives you travel, Necro gives you FD pulling and rez at 53 plus tap tanking on the tough mobs. There's not much you can't do with a Necro/shammy with any third.
  7. BearmanSW Elder

Any melee + Shaman is almost always the logical choice for a solid duo. So I would go there to start.

As for the third...it depends on what you want --> Safety / Utility / More DPS

Safety
    Cleric - way better healing, combined with shaman slow, you could tank Lodi!

Utility
    Druid - ports, some dps, however, lots of overlap with ranger
    Enchanter - better haste and clarity for shaman - can charm pet if feeling daring for crazy dps
    Bard - basically all of the enchanter's utility but 50% as good and with crazy bard speed

More DPS
    Monk / Rogue - tough to manage 2 melees sometimes, but this will get you most dps
    Mage / Necro / Wizard - added dps, some small utility

-----------------------------------

If it were me, I would go [RNG / SHM / CLR].

I personally like the safety added by the CLR and if you pick up an enchanter (which there will be a TON of) you have a top notch group. The only downside is that shaman dps spells tend to get resisted quite a bit, so that's kind of annoying without an enchanter, plus you have no ports, which is annoying early on.
    Thewiz likes this.
  8. Thewiz Augur

Ranger/Shaman/Wizard sounds like a lot of fun. No mana regen but can make potions later on. :)
  9. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

This answer is always the same.

Playing what you enjoy will be 100% more fun than playing the optimum box for x setup.

Someone I know always plays shaman, necro and wizard and does quite well and seems real enjoyable to him.
  10. Kolani Augur

Rangers were great in Vanilla and bad in Kunark in era. The Furor related problems that made them worse in Kunark than they were in Vanilla are now nonfactors, as the defense cap has been adjusted to what it properly should have been at level.
  11. BearmanSW Elder

Shaman / Necro is a deadly combo for sure...I mained a necro on Agnarr and after fiddling around with a couple different boxes (bard was interesting, druid was ok, mage didn't work out well) I found the shaman to be the most compatible. The slows made the mobs pet-tankable, the heals helped in a pinch, the dps helped when I felt like using Canni, and the flexibility made it very fun.
  12. Friendly Cleric New Member

We're in Luclin on Agnarr and Rangers suck as tanks, they work in a pinch, but not very efficient, I always try and find another group if I'm a healer and the main tank is a ranger. What is even more off putting is a ranger who really thinks they can tank like a Warrior / Paladin / Shadowknight. Pssst You can't. This coming from a cleric who has to heal them. If rangers are twinked and tanking light blues they are okay, otherwise a ranger tank is a serious mana drain on the healers
  13. Phinny4Life Lorekeeper

You should consider learning to properly heal then if a Ranger is such a 'serious' mana drain. Rangers can group tank just fine thru Luclin, so long as the cleric knows how to use their mana.
  14. HappyPanda Augur

Fixed that adding an important piece.
  15. vylo Augur

Ranger, bard, and cleric or druid IMO. Cleric heals are amazing, and you have rez. Druid would do better early on, but cleric would overtake them later in usefullness.
    Sumonerr_Tunare likes this.