Buff Bots

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Shadowreaper, Feb 16, 2018.

1. AlmarsGuides Augur

Why thank you for the such kind words! I came in here with my sword and shield equipt ready to defend myself against the onslaught of people who hate third party software and was pleasently surprised to find your post!

As a side note, (since it now just stood out to me) he said I should use a better example than Asheron's Call because the game died last year... As if the game's death is in any way relevant to buff bots. Or, as if the game's death can be in any way pinned on just one thing as the cause. (Let's keep using this same logic) Warhammer died too and didn't last for nearly as many years as Asheron's Call did. Maybe that's proof that games without buff bots don't last very long!

#VivaLaBuffBotRevolution
    Aurastrider and code-zero like this.
  2. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I've never seen any dev posts saying such software was okay to use. Was it in the TLP server forum?
  3. Remnant New Member

They have never said it was ok and they have never said it wasn’t. There has been talk with the creator of the program and dbg and from why I’ve heard it’s all fine. Just don’t afk. They have made multiple coding changes to allow certain things to work in the program.

They take the neutral ground because they don’t want to endorse it. But it’s allowed and there has been nothing to prove that it isn’t. Just don’t afk.
  4. Aurastrider Augur

Well I am on my phone and only half awake but if you dig deep there is actually a developer response. I only know because I researched and researched and when I still was not sure if it was legal to use I researched more.
  5. AlmarsGuides Augur

The writing has been on the wall for years, ever since the Phinigel True Box FAQ. Anyone that reads the FAQ, in particular the question: "Q: What things are not allowed on this server" should understand.

I realize that many people have read this and still failed to understand, which is why three years later we're still having the same arguments over and over about it. I've posted additional proof on my website about it, like the lead producer of EQ talking about having met the person that makes it and starting an open dialogue with them saying they're "just nerds who want extra features".

People paint boxers and third party users as the devil because there are a few bad apples. Not all of us are evil doers just like not all regular players are evil doers and so vehemently opposed to third party stuff. As I said before, Eqresource and Magelo both used that "evil third party software" to build their website's databases. I've learned a lot about possibly building a database for my website. I was dumbfounded when I found out that these websites used that software and yet everyone still thinks of it as a bad thing and not legal. Would you like an EQ without magelo or without eqresource or without allakhazam? Cause I wouldn't. (Or without me? =( )

When you say ban third party software that's what you're really asking for.
    Aurastrider and code-zero like this.
  6. Aurastrider Augur

So here is the confirmation from a developer https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/i-s-boxer-is-this-illegal.800/

Keep in mind when they redid the forums there was no blue symbol next to developer names initially. To further investigate Piestro who comments was a developer. If you go under old archives and select news and announcements you can see him posting such as https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/we-like-big-bags-and-we-cannot-lie.198964/

So to anyone who says there has never been any mention from a developer is actually wrong. This has been debated to death and needs to put to rest. Use common sense people and use things within the EULA. If you use anything AFK that is cheating. If you are disruptive to others gameplay regardless of use of software that is a violation of the EULA. Have fun and be respectful end of story!
    Zamiam likes this.
  7. elumxe Elder

Here is how I would implement this if I worked at dbg: (hire me)

1. Create a UI xml for bot buffs, 13 CButtonWnd* for gems.
    2. Let the player drag and drop buffs onto it.
    3. Player must be gold access like the offline bazar mules.
    4. Place character in guild lobby on the "buff platform"
    5. Click offline mode button on ui and set a keyword in the UI.

Now they are disconnected and in offline mode and people can go up to them and hail and the [keyword] will be displayed click on it and the buff bot will buff you.
    Elegant solution and it generates cash for dbg and goodwill from players who wants the attention/fame/cred or just plain service minded people ( I would do it myself for the last reason).
    Same thing can be done for port bots.

Estimated development time: 3 days and no new npc's needed.

(Maybe a day or so to work out details: should we allow spelllines to take lower level buffs into account if a level 1 hails a level 110? (Yes or maybe just let lower level characters hail lower level buff bots?)
  8. AlmarsGuides Augur

I'd set up multiple characters (one for each classes buffs) on FV if it didn't require a Gold subscription and if I didn't have to worry about other players trying to get me suspended. I'd literally level characters just for this specific purpose (talking abouts investing days of my time just to help out the noobies)

Alas though, I am not willing to take any sort of risk for a community that's so vehemently opposed to this type of stuff.

It's a real shame too because I believe a lot of people would really really enjoy that type of thing. Being able to go to the Guild Lobby, get a full set of buffs in an instant and then be ported to your hunting location... I mean... Seriously how awesome is that?

No waiting around for buffs.
    Reduced travel time due to more port options.
    Not needing to make or join a guild just for ports.
    No more Guild Lobby lag pile since you don't need to wait for buffs.
  9. Remnant New Member

Doesn't require gold if you just want rk1 buffs.
  10. AlmarsGuides Augur

I meant more the idea that was pitched from the person I quoted. He mentioned a possibility of making them to work similar to Offline Traders (meaning it would require a Gold subscription to set them up and leave them on).
  11. Aurastrider Augur

I know on Tunare late at night when I am playing I have had people travel to my buff bots just for buffs. I use them for foraging and fishing also to get the most use out of them and have had people come to what ever fishing hole they are parked at every night to get a fresh round of buffs. It is a lot of work initially to level them up and there is the financial investment of buying expansions also but having buffs on demand is well worth it imo. Not everyone has the time (which I don't really have any more to keep leveling them), the hardware, or the financial means to do this. It would be nice if there was an easier way to obtain buffs than sitting around afk over night with hopes that some nice soul will do a drive bye buffing.
  12. Remnant New Member

True.

But the point is, this is a reality now. This stuff is available, and they could be in a PoK/guildlobby near you now!
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

So now instead of having people be afk in the area you also have people who are offline offering their buffs to everyone? Seems like it could add more lag and make the problem worse.
  14. AlmarsGuides Augur

Indeed, but I for one am too scared to be the experiment to see if Daybreak would care about that sort of thing. That could be considered unattended play even though your character isn't benefitting from it in any way.

If i knew for a fact that Daybreak would be cool with it, I would happily set up buff bots up on FV to help some people out & I would make Heroic characters on a few other popular servers just to set up buff bots too. I have a laptop I am not using at home that can run like 4 - 8 characters and I could just load it up with buff bots. When I played Asheron's Call buff bots were one of the coolest things in the entire game (and something I have some of the most fond memories of as a kid playing that game). I loved them and I genuinely appreciated the people that took the time out of their day to do that for the community.

I think we have a long way to go before something like that can happen though. People need to first start learning how silly it is to say someone should be banned because they use Third Party Software.
  15. Schadenfreude Augur

Piestro was a "Community Manager". A buffer zone between the players and the actual developers at best.
  16. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I petitioned and asked about it. I thought maybe Daybreak had changed their stance on it. Maybe you were right. Apparently not so much at least according to GMs.

No, we don't condone or support Nacroquesting and it is subject to disciplinary action if reported or seen by a GM.

While I appreciate your guides and thank you for them I think it is dangerous to mislead people into thinking they can use certain software with impunity considering the GMs themselves may suspend or ban people for using it.
    And when you say you told someone at Daybreak about your third party software guide did you actually get a response back about it or just no answer? I think everyone would like to see the response indicating that software was now okay to use.
  17. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I guess those sites will have to find other ways to do what they need to do if Daybreak ever comes after them for that. Of course there is a big difference in just getting information over using it to do things in game. *shrugs*.

And meeting a person is far different then condoing an action. I get that some of you feel if you promote the use enough with so many people using it you will no longer have to worry about suspensions or bans.

I asked Daybreak staff about this software. Thats a quote not a wishful inference. Well that N was an M :)

No, we don't condone or support Nacroquesting and it is subject to disciplinary action if reported or seen by a GM.
  18. Kyzvs Augur

Surely with pots, guilds, fellowships and boxing there are enough options to get at least a good enough set of buffs to play? You may not be raid-buffed, but you shouldn't need to be to molo / group?

Can I also point out for the record that many boxers (such as me!) don't use any software - 2PCs, 3 screens, 3 subbed sessions, alt-tab only and proud of it (I have posted before my back-in-the-day pic of 5 PCs / sessions, thank Tunare for mercs) - we may be too busy to answer tells for a minute or two now and again, but we aren't all software-using cheaters and we don't run anything afk! ;)
  19. AlmarsGuides Augur

I'm not misleading people and you can't be suspended or banned for using the positive features of it.

The reason that the GM gave you that answer is because of how you asked the question. There is no such thing as "Nacroquesting" even when you're using the appropriate non tongue in cheek way of saying Macro.

When you ask a loaded question, you're going to get a loaded response because that person doesn't understand how or why you're approaching them about that. You basically (in this GMs eyes) asked if it was ok to cheat because you think using it is cheating... He told you no, you're not allowed to cheat because you're not. You went into that situation with a question in mind DESIGNED to get the answer you wanted and you got it; that's called confirmation bias.

Nacroquesting isn't a thing, you asked the GM a question using a made up word and you're using his response to justify your claims. What I would really like to see is your entire conversation with the GM. How you worded the question to him says A LOT more than his response does.

As for your question, I didn't write my email to Holly in a way that warranted an answer from her. I realize that Daybreak, as a company, is incapable of endorsing ANY Third Party Software. It's the same reason Blizzard has an unofficial stance against addons in their game. They don't "endorse", "support" or even "allow" addons in World of Warcraft but yet everyone uses them... Funny that.

Why don't you think they endorse GINA or Gamparse? That's harmless, I don't see anyone getting banned for using that. Why not ask the GM you just asked about Nacroquest if Daybreak supports or condones Gamparsing or GINAing? I'm willing to bet you get a similar response.

Or you can go a step further and ask him about the other Third Party Boxing Software that allows key broadcasting. That name is blocked on the EQ forums just like Nacroquest and it's blocked on True box server just the same but yet we all are positive you can't get in trouble for using it...
  20. svann Augur

Yea boxxing is allowed. But not afk botting. Doesnt matter if you use a program that is mostly ok or if you use IRL actual magic to accomplish it. If your toon is playing and you arent then its not allowed.