BEST 6 BOX

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Gurtu, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Coppercoz Augur

I must be in the minority because unless the bard is being actively played, I’d much rather have an enchanter in the box group.
  2. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Disagree if you must, but put it to the test and see for yourself.

If you need two healers, you're doing something wrong. Druid is great - it's my preferred choice of healer. But druid and cleric? That's just a waste.

Same goes for bard & enchanter. Your group is a "play it safe" group, and your fights probably take 3x as long as they would if you replaced one of your healers and one of your supports with DPS.

And the title of the post is, "BEST 6 BOX". Not, "what group gives me the most sense of security". Notice that I don't even say real security, because I suspect that all the time you must devote to your support classes, as opposed to your tank, is probably the reason you feel you need so much security.

It's sort of like riding a bicycle - having extra healers and support classes are like training wheels. Once you lose them, you'll never go back AND you'll go a lot faster.
  3. Accipiter Old Timer

The SK doesn't necessarily have to be raid geared. I have a group-geared SK and I have been able to do all of the DoDH spell missions on hard with a shaman healer. It's touch-and-go at times but it can work. It depends on what you want to do, I suppose.
  4. Accipiter Old Timer

It might not be optimal but it's not the worst scenario. I have two setups:

SK
    Cleric
    Chanter
    Mage
    Bard

SK
    Shaman
    Monk
    Wizard
    Bard

I wouldn't want to do without the bard in either group.
  5. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

@Jeskola, my apologies for the training wheels analogy. I had completely forgotten that this conversation is taking place in the TLP forum. The ambiguity (over era and server and what kind of boxing is allowed) really does mean that different play styles might be perfectly adequate and appropriate to suggest. And it always comes down to having fun, first and foremost!
  6. Accipiter Old Timer

Is your SK raid geared? In group gear I can barely survive a 2-pull on a DoDH hard mission.
  7. Denn RG Journeyman

SK is my main, mostly GoD gear with few pieces from OOW/DoN, AC augs is most slots, epic 2.0
    I don't say i can do it every pull, but it's happens and i can survive it.For most part i need to burn all i have on SK and cleric,until chanter slow all mobs.3 mobs pull is pretty much trivial for me in hard missions.
  8. Accipiter Old Timer

I hear you. I'm not sure whether you mean all hard missions but it's worth pointing out that there's a big difference between 3 mobs in 69.1 hard vs 70.2 hard, as an example.
  9. Denn RG Journeyman

In 70.2 drop down to pit via trap, when roamers above passed. Clear pit and you will never have more then 2 mobs per pull :)
    In that mission i pull everything to ZI.
    Chatoyan likes this.
  10. Accipiter Old Timer

I don't want to take the time to clear the pit and then I end up wasting time zoning out or rezzing when I get 6+. :( I'll do that from now on.
  11. Xanadas Augur

Best crew depends on a lot of factors so there's no 1 right answer. A few thoughts though:

No bard = no resists, so you just ruled out a bunch of the harder groupable stuff that becomes doable when you can max out your resists. Depending on the era(s) you plan to play in, this may or may not be a big deal. Either way, a bard is useful in so many ways, it's hard to have a crew without one. Most crews who run 2 groups make 2 bards just because they're too indispensable.

Only having 1 melee dps means when mana runs out, you're left with just warrior and mage pets. Consider 2 monks? Would leave you with wipe recovery support as well.

Are you going to use any, um, "boxing support" tools? If not, then caster dps will be easier to play of course.
  12. Eonan Journeyman

It's been a while since I did TLP (LockJaw was the last one I went hard on) but will echo some of the previous posters.

SK - Tank with solid agro and self heals, can be used to pull in later expansions
    Cleric - Rez's are important, and solid heals
    Magician - Solid easily applied DPS scales very well in later expansions
    Enchanter - Slows, Mana buffs, great charm DPS (if you're suicidal like me), CC for bad pulls.
    Wizard - Amazing DPS in early expansions, great utility for traveling and evac-ing if goes sideways
    Bard - I prefer a bard over monk for the following reasons: Travel (Selos is hard to live without while boxing once you've used it...), amazing buffs (overhaste, mana regen, health regen, extra CC), and an extra evac later on.

This setup scales pretty well and doesn't require you to "actively" play much more than the Bard to pull, then the SK once you get the mobs in camp. You can, of course, use the SK to pull but I always preferred a Bard personally (unless splitting is just being a pain in the ).
  13. Barc Lorekeeper

Let it sink in and grow on you.

Shadow Knight
    Cleric
    Enchanter
    Wizard
    Ranger
    Beastlord

Amazing synergy between every class. Melee buffs, caster buffs, CC, Mana regen for everyone, ports/evacs, snares, rezzes, aego+ghetto focus and stat buffs.

Most important is that the core is covered with SK/CLR/ENCH. T1 and T2 DPS added with enough utility to deal with everything.

If only ragefire wasnt dead :)
  14. Mekilzu New Member

Depending on what im doing (this was pre-zerker)
    Sk (raid geared), Clr, Brd, 3 mnk (meat grinder no downtime)
    Sk (raid geared), Shm, Brd, 3 mnk (even bigger meat grinder no downtime / less healing power though)
    Sk (raid geared), Clr, Brd, 2 mnk, bst (extra mana regen / para / nice to have 65pct slow for occasional harder mob)
  15. Time Burn Augur

Warriors are pretty much worthless as a class compared to knights (unless you're stuck in group gear). Btw... why post about 6 box in an area where DBG is trying to encourage grouping?
  16. Denn RG Journeyman

Why not? Some ppl like me want to be independed, i like possibility to play on my own time and can go AFK/log off for family anytime i want. Dosnt mean i dont group - i like to play with other ppl.
    About DBG. I was reported few times for boxing and not that i disturbed to other ppl or groups, but ppl just report you becouse they can. Was checked twice by GMs and that what im aware about, might be some checks was done invisible. I don't cheat, don't use bugs and generaly keep clean reputation - don't train, don't KS, don't take taken camps. My gameplay dosn't disturb other ppl.
  17. Barc Lorekeeper

Anyone know if you're allowed to use the popular boxing, (that sounds similar to the spanish woodfiller product "Ai Es Bosar") tool? If so, would it be banable if you streamed using said program?
  18. MaxTheLion Augur

The program is not allowed.
  19. AlmarsGuides Augur

Both programs are allowed to be used while attended assuming you're not on a True Box server. It says so right in the Phinigel FAQ.

What's not allowed is using that program, or any program, while unattended.
  20. Denn RG Journeyman

Well known quest prog and iskickboxer dosnt work on truebox servers.
    Any kind of automation or unattended gameplay - you risking your account to be suspended/banned.