Buff Bots

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Shadowreaper, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Shadowreaper New Member

I was wondering what others may think of this. Yesterday a guildie and I was discussing the lag in the PoK on the Xegony server. I know it used to be the Guild Lobby on Xegony and its in the GL on most servers from what I have gathered.

We thought it would be nice to have Buff Merchants in the Grand Guild Hall. That a guild member can go to in the guild hall and purchase buffs from the Merchant that is level appropriate. We also thought that we should be able to use currency that we have available like Marks of Valor or Remnants of Tranquility or Platinum.

So what are thoughts and ideas?
  2. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

Been talked about alot, it falls on deaf ears
  3. Toomba Elder

A series of buff class npc’s that take plat for lovins....and in lobby?

Sign me up
  4. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I would take buff bots even if all they cast was buffs from two expansions ago. Maybe even tie a guild quest into it to get top tier buff bots in GGH.

Lots of ways to spin it. But I doubt it will ever be implemented. Probably seen as too game-breaking. Unless it's tied to DBC, of course.
  5. Daedly Augur

Couldn't they just the tie it into the tribute system?
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Unless they offered the top buffs for free people would still just stay there afk waiting for the buffs they wanted.
    svann likes this.
  7. Goodn Augur

Sigh...because this topic has probably been done to death more than any other topic in recent years...

If you want buff bots, make the case to DBG's financial folks, not the Devs. Putting something in the game that doesn't at least drain marketplace currency will be a non-starter with them. You might get something like bayle marks where you have to hand one over or it would deduct automatically when you want a SINGLE buff. And I suspect they would want it level appropriate for the toon requesting (so no assurance for your 70 warrior). But in any scenario...you need to show why putting this in the game will make DBG more money than keeping it out.

Because all I see if this would come to pass is fewer accounts...because you don't need them around for buffing. Even for those folks using ftp accounts for buffing, with the expansion freeze now, they still need to purchase expansions on those accounts to keep up. And I suspect there are a number of folks with more that 3 accounts active that would strongly consider moving to just 3 active if they could get whatever buffs they wanted.

...and the "lag" in PoK/Guild Lobby/wherever has more to do with your lack of modern CPU and memory (and stubbornness to lighten the load...no, you really don't need to see titles, etc.). I just personally went from an old 2010 iMac running Windows 7 in boot camp to a modern-ish AMD CPU (I think it's 3 years old) and 16 GB memory. And I can now do figure 8s in PoK over the lag pile with 3 toons loaded, two on auto follow. It's your computer and settings mostly...honest.

People are going to gather in one central place...be it Common tunnels, Kelethin, PoK, guild lobby, etc. Because it's still the best chance that someone has to get buffs while afk during non-play periods.
  8. smash Augur

IMO, they should change so, pok/lobby/nexus/bazaar again count buffs down, but at the same time, make small enclosure in a new zone, where buffs do not count Down. People can go there if they wanna keep their buffs, or wanna have new ones,

It would lower the amount of lag in those mentioned zones, will ofc come in the new zone, but there people themselves has chosen to go, so they get lag by choice.

Another thing is, have not used the potion, but the craftmans ts potion has time suspended in pok ? If so, then PoK actually Hurts the sale of the potion This could increase the sale of the potion.
  9. Loafy-The-Cat New Member

craftsman potion counts down everywhere
  10. RandyLahey Elder

Though this isn't such an issue for me anymore as i just upgraded my PC, not everyone can afford to do so. I think one of the positive things about EQ is that you don't need a top end gaming PC to enjoy the game. With my old setup, turning off names and whatnot helped some, one issue is that probably 50% of the folks that do AFK near the pile don't set their AFK flag, so if they have auto afk turned off, it won't work if your goal is to hide AFK toons.

I'm not sure if there is a way for the Devs to force toons to auto set afk in certain zones after 10 mins or so, but that would help a lot I would think. Or they could just take my advice and disable MGB casting in Pok/GL. Problem solved :p (well maybe not solved but would force movement to a lower traffic area)

I do like the idea of buff bots though. .
  11. Sagarmatha Augur

Another one of these posts. <sigh>

Why even have classes in the game? Just give every player auto everything and two J5 mercenaries, and everyone gets a 500K point nuke that costs no mana and no reuse timer. "Quality of life," really means, "make the game easier and easier until my cat can be trained to raid and get all the l337 gear." Where does it STOP?

You can still play the game without being buffed to the max.
  12. roth Augur

While I agree with this statement in practice (because when I die two boxing I just use mercs to Rez and self buff and carry on) I for one would LOVE to see someone convince the people in each server’s lag pile of this. Once people actually realize this, that they don’t need to stand around like helpless chicks in the nest waiting for momma bird to feed them buffs, they may actually, you know, go green and log off for their afk or something.
  13. AlmarsGuides Augur

You could have buff bots right now if the community was more welcoming of the positive features of certain third party software. You'd be able to walk up to them, send them a tell and request a buff and they'd buff you.

Asheron's Call had buff bots, they were awesome - they'd buff you with a full set of buffs and port you to different locations:

forgive the voice over, I hate my earlier work on youtube but I left the videos up that were unique enough to preserve.
  14. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Have you ever targeted that person who is asking for buffs? When I see this in chat I click on the persons name and 9 times out of 10 they have the buffs already or better but no one has cast any yet. This seems to be something people no longer check before standing around and spamming for MGB's. I no longer do mgb. No more Mr Nice Guy. Watched a guy ask for buffs 4 days straight and he was fully buffed each time I /tar him. Finally told him - sorry you have full buffs and no room for mine and then tried you have better than what I can cast. He still kept on and on about needing buffs - he is now on ignore. He never left the lobby in those days so not sure what he needed the buffs for. I will give individual buffs to those who ask but I am no longer contributing to those useless pixels hanging out in the lobby.

Each class has certain buffs and it was set up this way to encourage groupage back in the day. That way every one brought something to the group - be it slowing the mob or heals or mind candy or slam dots etc. We have moved away from grouping with mercs now taking the place of key group members like the healer or caster damage or even tank. And people want buff bots to move even further away?

You can play without buffs with just what ever your group can cast and you can play without mercs. You will have to pay to do it that way but all you have to pay is attention. Yes it may take a lot longer to kill that mob or do that mission but that's OK.
    And this can be done on live servers, not just Agnarr.
  15. RandyLahey Elder

Agreed. Unfortunately AFK usage of certain third party programs isn't allowed, so not sure how well that would work out in an open zone. I guess in an instance like GH it would be fine considering it's not a "public" zone persay.
  16. Aurastrider Augur

It's a good QOL improvement but there would be some financial losses unless there was actual money tied to obtaining them for a guild hall. I have 3 buff bots on 3 different accounts that I buy new expansions on when ever there is a level increase. Plus I have bought them mounts and have spent money on them. For this to work they would need to offset the lost revenue from people like myself.
  17. Goodn Augur

I think you might want to use a better example than Asheron's Call to make your case for buff bots. Asheron's Call finally shuttered on January 31st, 2017 after several years in pure maintenance mode. Hopefully not an example for Everquest to follow...

Actually, just now reading your website with full endorsement of the certain 10 letter 3rd party software, perhaps it is you who should leave Everquest entirely. EQ's ban on said software is perhaps the only consistent thing in the history of EQ. Regardless of how you think you are being "persecuted", using it is against the rules. People do use it to take over areas in zones. People do use it afk. And it sucks.
  18. AlmarsGuides Augur

There isn't a ban on that certain third party software. Guess it's no longer the most consistent thing in the history of EQ since they released True Box servers! I'd never publish or endorse something that could get another player in trouble; the reason I published those guides was to spread the good news that using the software is no longer against the rules. You can check the Phinigel FAQ for more information.

I've also sent links to my guide(s) to people who work at Daybreak letting them know that I would be willing to take the guides down IMMEDIATELY if they requested me to do so. It's not against the rules (that much is obvious - there's screen shots of Holly saying she has had a meeting (IRL) with the person who created the program.. can't get much more within the rules and working together than that) but I wanted them to know about my actions even if they wanted me to remove the guides for public relations reasons. IE, we think those guides would cause too much drama - can you not go ahead and do that? That would be a perfectly valid reason for me to remove them from my website.... But, I was not asked to do so.

P.S - EQ resource uses that third party software for their database
    P.P.S - Magelo also uses that third party software for their database
  19. Aurastrider Augur

Almar is an asset to the EQ community. If you don't like boxing or technology that's one thing but suggesting they leave EQ deserves the knucklehead of the day award. Your own knowledge of this program and it's validity in game is incorrect. It's use is legal on most servers (all but true box) as long as used within the scope of the EULA. If you do a little research there are responses from devs on this to further prove you wrong. Next time before you make claims and attack good people on here do your research and use a couple of those cells rattling around in your skull.
    AlmarsGuides likes this.
  20. Remnant New Member

Plenty of people bot. I run a couple groups all of the time and have had no issues with daybreak. There are also lots of macros that let buff bots do this exact thing, so they are out there, just not public.