3box Tank buff group

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Tezuka, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Tezuka New Member

Hi all,
    I'm looking to 3box a group with the Tank as the star, and the other two classes buffing the Tank as high as possible in dps/adps. I'm not very good at boxing so want to basically use the other two as buffbots, or one buffbot and one semi-played.
    I was thinking:
    Warrior w/ Healer merc
    Bard w/ DPS merc
    Shaman w/ DPS merc

Are other classes better at magnifying the power of the Tank? What might be a better group to make the Tank a melee meat blender? With enough buffs should I consider monk/ranger as tank for higher dps? All ideas appreciated!
  2. Thoxsel Djess' Pet Warrior

Yea, a shaman and bard will certainly boost the power of that is what you are after. Good buffs and songs that will certainly make a big impact. Other box setups could be quicker at killing but that wasn’t a factor you brought up.
  3. Tucoh Augur

This thread goes into warrior ADPS a little and is worth a look:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/tank-style-dps.246952/

war/brd/sha is a good group, but purely in terms of warrior DPS I'd say that a top three trio includes a beastlord. Like a sha/brd they can give haste (Tremendous Velocity), and have their own collection of generic melee DPS boosts (Spiritual Vibrancy, shared merciless ferocity, Primalist's Synergy). However the real buff they provide is Dichotomic Fury, which is the best source of Hundred Hands Effect that you can get in the game and dramatically boosts a warrior's damage because it's all auto-attack.

I know you said you wanted ADPS for the warrior, but I'd also recommend considering how a cleric boosts the survivability of a tank beyond what a healer merc can give via the buffs from Divine Imposition, Shining Fortress, Aura of Divinity, Aura of the Reverent, Undying Life, Ward of Assurance etc.

Besides being able to pull more loosely and pull larger groups, a key element to warrior DPS is having enough mitigation, healing and health pool to comfortably switch from shield to dual wield (which does almost as much damage as 2H), so sometimes the best way to increase your DPS is to increase your tankability.

That all being said, I still think your initial guess of war/brd/sha is probably going to be your best option for a comfortable, buff-bot / semi-played box setup because their buff contributions are fairly easy to manage and even after February's patch the shaman's DPS contribution from DoTs will still be substantial and easy to manage with one click vs having to manage melee from a beastlord.
  4. Syylke_EMarr Augur

I boxed War/Brd/Shm for a long time mostly by accident (they were what I had at max level from playing them) and it was a very effective group. Each class brings something different and, depending on the situation, can be afk-played.
  5. Tezuka New Member

Thanks all for the feedback -

Tucoh, are you suggesting replace shaman with beastlord? I'll definitely look into it! Lots of great info.
  6. Time Burn Augur

How do you afk play something? This sounds like a good way to get one's needs in life met.

7. Tucoh Augur

It's a good option, but I'd recommend war/brd/sha.
  8. ptah Augur

I'm looking at adding Clr to my mix of bard and war.. because my fellowship clr is not wanting to play his clr.. lusting the zerk at this time.

100% support what Tucoh is saying and I will add I don't like mercs.. dps or healers.. lack of trust. beyond to never needing a bio break they suck to me. Interested if a stack on PC clr and merc clr would open delay concerns I have with adding 3rd box.. and I'm pretty active on war..and too active on bard..

I don't care to melody afk the bard. too much to click and assist target and insults are huge for my play style.. I have played with bard and chanter but that is too situational click for me.. I don't like.. Flop to war for mage when I'm tired and non focused.. but similar button mashing just mindless..

Pray for days I don't box.. as I enjoy running hard and pure on 1.. but those day are hard to find.. based on rewards of non lfg box.. as I assume is the reason for OP question.. Mega nice to just load and play.. not seekout and wait.. to find failure amoung rando pugs that only seek TA thru.. rant over.

Tucoh teach me to shaman box.. special post just for me.. pretty please. things to do as servers down.. heh
  9. Tucoh Augur

10. Syylke_EMarr Augur

Couldn't think of the right way to say it. Basically just ignoring them after the initial engagement. So like slowing and dotting with the Shaman, then tabbing to focus on Bard or Warrior. Or firing up melody and autoattack on the Bard and tabbing to focus on Warrior or Shaman, etc.

Basically, all 3 can be low maintenance classes depending on the situation which lets you focus on the other(s).