NEW TLP SERVER IDEAS

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by PIERRE STEUBEN, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Nolrog Augur

Truebox doesn't stop the boxing, that's the fallacy in the argument. . . . .
    Dilf likes this.
  2. Nolrog Augur

Apples to oranges. People play on the TLPs because they want to go back and enjoy that content. That's why these servers peter out around House of Thule (give or take), and why when a new one opens, people flock there, because the nostalgia of the content.
  3. snailish Augur

We kind of need to see how Phinny does post TSS (the last low-level reentry expac). Several past progression servers have been in trouble by this point population-wise, a few have made it past it but still sputtered short of hitting live. Right now I think Phinny makes it to live viable.

What any next progression server should do is not try and cater to everyone any more than the semi-compromises of the current Phinny ruleset (since it works pretty good). What I mean is, a replica of Phinny is fine, a basically Phinny tweaked more for the hardcore crowd would be fine too, a Phinny tweaked even more (learn from Ragefire/Lockjaw) for the slow-casual style is fine too.

But the tweaked versions need to be consistent in their vision. For example slower XP is not a benefit to a casual-slow ruleset as reduced playtime/commitment already means leveling slower. Long unlocks doesn't help the hardcore ruleset as it causes raid-force boredom which = attrition. And yes, other tweaks further away from the Phinny ruleset could have more appeal for a specific niche, but it is important they capture enough players for the server to be viable.

Truebox vs. not truebox is about the only situation I see launching 2 servers at the same time ever again --if both were to be offered on the same ruleset starting at the same era.

And voting helps no one. Clear rules from the start with automatic progress to the end.
    Fohpo and Niskin like this.
  4. Silinius Augur

Agree that voting sucks.

I would challenge the argument that always comes up around boxing (same computer) vs. true-box. While I "can" box 20+ characters on Lockjaw, unless I'm just doing an AA grind for multiple characters or trying to max 1-2 characters out at the same time, I prefer to group with real people and I do that as often as possible.

My beginning of expansion "static group" consists of 6 real people in guild. On the outside of that group, I may bring some out of group DPS to help speed things up. When we have returning members who are a bit far behind on levels or AAs, those box teams are pretty efficient at getting those people up to speed quickly. I and others who box more than 1 character would love to have the opportunity to continue to do that without requiring us to go purchase 10 cheap laptops and manually screwing around just to make things a bit more efficient. Not everyone who boxes is an RMTer (the vast majority are not), not everyone who boxes is anti-social and does everything on their own.

While I do like certain aspects of true box (such as instancing that appears to come along with it), I think it's far too limiting.

@Dev: Is there a way to establish a limited box functionality - such as no more than 6 characters per computer? Would this help keep big box to a minimum but yet still manage to keep some of the "good" aspects of boxing viable?
  5. Dilf Augur

I've always been a fan of the FV loot rules and exp boosts (but not to the extreme of FV). Sure it will encourage more selling of items (or more people trying to farm/raid), but it also means that most items won't go to waste either.

This next opinion will be the most unpopular, but I don't believe people should be forced into grouping, so bring on the mercs! I know the response will be "if you want mercs, go to Live", but some people just might want to explore Norrath all over again without having to carry around a group of people who will end up afk'ing to leech exp anyways. Or maybe you might be having a bad day IRL and want to veg out without the extra noise. Maybe you want to dabble on a character that is traditionally group-dependent, but not have to depend on a group.. It's easy to say that mercs are the death of this game, but they do allow flexibility to play your own way.
  6. Krezzy Augur

Agnarr is pretty good. I'd suggest the following changes using that server as a baseline:
    1) Completely disable autofollow.
    2) Lock all LORE items so that they may not be traded or parceled for 24 hours after dropping.
    3) Make all rare creatures are immune to Charm.
  7. Fohpo Augur

Well thought out and verbalized.
  8. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

1. I box I wouldn't care if they remove autofollow, so good idea...
    2. Interesting idea on the LORE items, would stop the autocamp and dump
    3. Don't think the charm is a big deal one way or the other...
    4. Add in FV style loot rules, I only played 1 year when it started, no idea if it's changed
    5. 1 Character per account
    6. True box mode only
    7. Some how decrease player power across the board
    8. Limit Rez to be 25% - 50% server wide
    9. Stop it somewhere at POP or a few beyond expansions beyond
    10. Start with Classic + Kunark enabled
    11. Same 90 day
  9. Vanishin Lorekeeper

I don't get why people want to change the game so much. Just make a TLP server with FV style loot rules that progresses through the expacs like phinny. Don't need all these strange rules. Also removing auto follow would be dumb.
  10. Horathmir Elder

The Quarm Style servers are Fun, Goal Oriented Servers and are relatively short Event Servers that you can jump into relive "The Moment" then go back to your live server, are Fun!! The standard TLP Server format has been done, and done and dddoooonnneeeeeeee ... so many times now that its boring as boring can be.

Short to mid timer event servers are FUN. Quarm, Race to Trakanons, Discord Server from ages ago etc etc, stuff like that would make me re-sub over and over again. A new "Normal" TLP server, where 40 people rule the server like an iron fist .../yawnnnnnnn ill spend my money at McDonalds for Chicken McNuggets instead.
  11. Parsli Journeyman

Truebox, Classic-locked (no expansions) PvP teams server! Make it happen ;)
    Item loot preferred.

Alternatively, a hardcore permadeath Velious-locked server. Doesn't have to be PvP.

I just am a glutton for punishment. I think the average EQ player is too.
  12. Machentoo Augur

Agree with your post overall, but EVERY past progression server has been in trouble by TSS population wise.

Personally I don't see any reason why Phinny will be any different. So far, the % in guild change from PoP to DODH has been almost identical to what we saw on Fippy. But we'll see soon. What the population does in PoR will be very telling, that was where it really crashed on Fippy. I suppose it is a good sign that the content is now easy enough that half the server has beat DODH already, maybe that will help with staying power.
    snailish likes this.
  13. Machentoo Augur

And, that new Phinny clone they just announced won't help things any.
  14. Rhaage Augur

15. Silinius Augur

No thanks on the new server - nothing different to see there. If it was FV loot I’d consider it.
  16. Dahaman Augur

Here is my Wish List:

1. Classic start to full Live Server finish
    2a. 90-day expansion unlocks for level increase expansions
    2b. 45-day or 60-day expansion unlocks for non-level increase expansions
    3. Instancing per Phinny
    4. FV Item Rules (if possible - limit it to items with recommended level requirements that are 10+ less than max level to keep the top end gear as normal)
    5. Phinny Starting XP + 20% boost per expansion unlock (up to the point of FV XP levels)
    6. Give a bonus XP reward for UNIQUE quest completions to be 1 AA (or 5% of level if below level 51)
  17. Horathmir Elder

Some one wake my wallet up when they actually put something out there worth paying for again. "Groundhog Day Server" is not worth my money anymore.
  18. HoodenShuklak Augur

New server almost seems like a troll at how uninspired and quickly it's coming.
  19. Madeni Elder

There are so many servers with low Population, now it will drop even further with another Progression server. Why not merge servers and make some fun/dangerous/scary Quests on the servers that are live?
  20. Nolrog Augur

I disagree. TSS was still very popular for Fippy (maybe Vulak too, I can't remember). The server was still pretty healthy well after that, into Underfoot and House of Thule. That's when Fippy at least was in trouble.
    snailish likes this.