BEST 6 BOX

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Gurtu, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Gurtu New Member

Hey guys can you tell me if there is a better box than this for doing all group content in the game?

Warrior
    Cleric
    Enchanter
    Druid
    Mage
    Mage
  2. malaki Augur

Era matters. SK/Cleric/Chanter/Bard/mage/mage to start, then SK/SHM/Bard/Ranger/Ranger/Ranger for PoP, then SK/Shm/bard/Zerker x 3 later. All this assumes your SK is raid geared.
  3. Communist Puppy Augur

SK, SK, SK, shaman, bard monk
  4. Rampart New Member

What if your SK is not raid geared? What would be the ideal tank?
  5. malaki Augur

Still probably SK, just swap out one of the DPS for a cleric or something.
  6. Denn RG Journeyman

Depend if you want pure DPS or more utility. Ppl above already sugested DPS setups.
    My main is SK and i run utility setup around him.
    Cleric - best healer and the only priest that can do rez in combat.
    Wizard - DPS is lower then melee classes like monk/bers but don't need to be positioned.Ports - i can't live without them :)
    Enchanter - CC and buffs but i don't mez that much unless some special situation/tricky pull.
    Bard - selo invi song/combat busts both for casters and melee. Track if you need it.
    Mage - don't know what i was doing in DoDh without coth, traveling box crew around DoDh zones quiet not comfortable. Not to mention great help on complicated pulls.
    In my setup i need to position only 2 chars for melee rest is range DPS + pets.
    But if you can find corner to pull to usually i go melee both on chanter and cleric as well for little more DPS.
  7. Denn RG Journeyman

SK for selfheal and AE agro posibility.Snare as well. But you will be need to invest lot of play time in farm of AC augs, starting from KT/Yxxta/RSS.May be start with LDoN for 10ac augs.Don't know if DoN have similar augs.
  8. S33k3r Augur

9. HoodenShuklak Augur

The best 6 box is 6 feet under.
  10. Spaine_Arcane New Member

Sk shaman cleric ranger mage wizard
  11. Vanishin Lorekeeper

Haha, project 99 not expose you to boxing? On a more serious note, the best 6 box group is one that fills every role, being tank, DPS, healer, slower. Not easy to play a lot of different classes, but if you can pull it off well it's awesome.
  12. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Slows are very situational, and I would lump them in with "support". If the mobs won't kill me, I don't want them slowed; I want to maximize my riposte damage! The discussion really does change depending on the era and even situation, but at end game, I would generally prioritize the roles as:

Tank,
    Healer if you need one,
    DPS to speed everything up,
    Utility for quality of life,
    Support (buffs, debuffs).

Everybody is a tank by default: you take a hit, you're tanking! :) If you are a strong enough tank (and many SKs and Paladins can be, in many situations) then you don't even need a healer.

Realistically, most tanks aren't that good in most scenarios and we need a healer. While clerics are generally considered the best at healing, druids and shamans are absolutely great in all but some raid scenarios. But druids and shamans have the superior damage and utility and support capabilities, so I generally give them the edge in non-raiding scenarios.

After tank and healer, DPS is the most important consideration. Pure, unadulterated DPS is the single best way to increase your group's efficiency (whether boxing or playing with real players). Wizards, monks, berserkers are some of the best choices here. Simple and hard hitting. Enchanter and Mage are not bad either, and have some support offerings (but pet tanking will never be efficient, when compared to using your real tank). Necros are good for bosses, but their DPS is too slow to pick up for most group content.

Utility: Teleports. Tracking. Call of the Hero. Corpse summoning. Resurrecting. Run-speed buffs. Levitation. Invisibility/IVU/double-invis. These kinds of things, in my experience, have huge tangible benefit and are often overlooked because they don't usually contribute directly to kill speed. But they absolutely help maximize your potential in EQ and make sure you spend more time fighting and less time preparing and running around in circles.

Finally, in my order of priority, are support classes. Support classes can really improve overall DPS (and survivability if your tank is lacking), but you don't want more support than DPS. Also, support classes generally take a lot more attention in order to maximize their contribution. You might be able to get 90% effectiveness out of your wizard with only a couple key presses, but your enchanter will require much more attention (that you will be taking away from your other classes).

So boxing support players effectively is more difficult and I think you will find that your overall kill speed, consistency and survivability (mostly from not needing to take your eyes off your tank) will be better if you minimize your support classes.

My advice: figure out what your group's DPS would be if you are running a tank, healer, and 4 wizards (or 4 monks or whatever your highest DPS class is). You don't need six toons: you can roughly calculate this number with only a tank and 1 wizard. Then, take out one of your wizards and replace it with a support class. If you can't beat your original DPS, then adding the support class wasn't worthwhile, from a DPS standpoint.
    AlmarsGuides likes this.
  13. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Combinations I would specifically avoid:

Duplicating any tank class (war/pal/sk). Except maybe SK for fun - @Communist Puppy's suggestion above actually looks pretty powerful :)
    Duplicating any healer class (cleric/druid/shaman).
    Mixing shamans and beastlords.
    Mixing bards and enchanters. Bards make great, hassle-free support batteries. But you have to make sure that they are increasing your group's DPS enough to make up for their own dismal DPS.
    Necros, if going for fast DPS. I love my necro, but dots are best for long fights and I want quick fights!
  14. jeskola pheerie

Nolrog likes this.
  15. jeskola pheerie

Disagree on both... druid buffs, nukes and backup heals work well with cleric. Bard mana regen, overhaste, and +25% spell damage line combined with the pulling and other utility factors make them work well with enchanters. Their overhaste and mana regen stack with chanter spells. Their unique stacking songs can make the toughest group encounters a lot easier.

The question was posed as "what combo can i do all group content with?" Not "what is the highest dps xp group?". GOD+ has some difficult group missions.
  16. Denn RG Journeyman

As i mentioned above my crew is:
    SK main/WIZ/MAG/CLR/ENC/BRD
    I can do any hard group mission in DoDh may be exept DSP Kelebon and other missions there. I farm 4 of 6 MPG trials, 2 that i can't is just to intesify for boxing crew.
    Boxed Dojo and Trial in DoN.
    Can survive pull of 5-6 yellow/red mobs in hard DoDh missions w/o mezing ( chanter slow stick from Time absolutly great with 3 sec cast ).Etc etc.
    Sometime i think i could use another healer, like switch wizard for druid,but since all my boxes passed 1200 AA mark and i invested lot of effort into gearing - just don't feel myself leveling another char.

If i was staring fresh today i would go other setup and sugest to you:
    SK/DRU/MAG/BRD/ENC + CLR or SHM ( main heal ).

P.S. one thing you want for sure. Druid or wizard for evac. Insta evac saved me many many times from full wipe and saves your time from running/recovering.
  17. mattey New Member

my set up is:

Warrior - raiding main
    Berserker
    Shaman
    Cleric
    Enchanter
    Bard

I havnt found any group content that I cant do. worst part is moving through zones, I always find the warrior runs ahead of the rest and drops bard song / invis. Or one of the fat ogres get stuck!

I will add as i feel its important that I will always offer to drop toons for my guild mates and if someone needs something doing / help I always do. The reason i set up a 6 box was short playtimes of 1-2 hour stints outside of raids and i always spent most of it LFG and it was pointless.

the downside is I dont really make much plat! I think ive bought 1 krono in the last 3 months and have about 60k saved. So it costs a bomb to run them! £54 / month.
  18. Nolrog Augur

Don't ignore the value a bard adds to a group.
  19. BearmanSW Elder

As others have mentioned, era and playstyle are important.

I personally like to play from Orig --> Luclin and play quite conservatively. I sacrifice a lot of DPS for utility, safety, and quick transit.

My group that best resembles this approach was the 6-box I played on Ragefire thru Luclin:

1. Paladin - Raid geared - puller - main character
    2. Bard
    3. Cleric
    4. Enchanter
    5. Wizard
    6. Mage
    I liked to fight large pulls of lower con mobs (like in Seb / Velks / Chardok / SSRA), so I would have my paladin pull, bard would twist slow/regen/nivs, cleric would HoT, enchanter sends charmed pet and AoE mezzes if needed, wizard and mage both assist paladin. Additionally, if I were going into tricksy places, I had a necro on my enchanter's account that I would park near my camp if stuff went south to rez my cleric.
    Having the layers of protection I had, I very rarely wiped. Also, having bard speed + wizard ports meant I could travel nearly anywhere at break-neck speed.
  20. Darchon_Xegony Augur

SK
    Cleric
    Shaman
    Bard
    2 Melee DPS (Monk, Rogue, Berserker, Ranger)

If you're not interested in doing harder content (like 6-manning recent raids or farming Anguish Augs in era etc) you can drop one of the priests for an additional Melee DPS. But at that point... why bother? The group game is not that big until later expansions really. You will exhaust content very quickly with a 6-box and end up twiddling your thumbs for a month before next expansion launch. Only real reason to 6-box is to plow through group content in the first week and then farm old raids. All group content can be easily done with a Tank/Priest 2-box or if you find that too slow add a Melee DPS and make it a three box. There's really no reason to 6-box if you do exclusively group content in these early expansions when we are still stupidly OP against the content.