Are People Still Playing This Game?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Aryianna, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Aryianna New Member

Silly question, since the forum is still running. I am assuming the population is shrinking. I haven't been motivated enough to install it on my new puter. The last expansion I installed was Rain of Fear. How are the new expansions? How's the game, in general?
  2. Lisard Silly

where to begin.

priests are best DPS now.
    Melee are struggling to compete
    The current expansion is designed for caster dps
    broken content
    poor Direction

thats just the tip...imo dont waste your time. unless, you know, you want too.
  3. Sancus Augur

There's a lot of negativity on the forums right now mainly related to the devs significantly increasing the difficulty of certain old content in the past patch. And some salty people (see above).

The expansions have definitely gotten smaller since RoF, but the content is still pretty good IMO. The current expansion is Ring of Scale. It's pretty small and there's a lack of easy outdoor zones, but it has some fun dungeons and is overall pretty good. The previous expansion, Empires of Kunark, was the best since RoF IMO. It was smaller too, but it had a good mix of fun outdoor zones and dungeons.

Class balance isn't great right now, but I don't think that matters for returning players, every class is viable. It's at the high end when imbalances become more of an issue.

Overall I still think the game is pretty good. It could use changes (and more content), but that's always been true to an extent. It's still EverQuest though; nothing has changed radically since RoF.
    Bobsmith, Ssdar, Tarvas and 4 others like this.
  4. Tatanka Joe Schmo

LOL
  5. Tamaden Elder

The game have way to many players as is, Devs trying their hardest to thin the ranks. just move on my friend nothing left to have fun with here.....
  6. Nennius Curmudgeon

Shh. Nap time.
  7. Geroblue Augur

I've been gaming here since 2004. I have tried other MMOs. None of them compare with EQ.
    svann and Tarvas like this.
  8. Turinbar Augur

EQ needs a mountain of work, simply put. The whole graphics and back end scripting language needs to be modernized. The UI needs major work, The character models could use new rigging, animations, and modern CGI software techniques. Decent combat music and weapon and casting sound effects. However I don't think DBG or its parent company think the massive cash infusion required would pay off in increased subs or significant ROI for them. It will never have WoW money or development staff, which is probably easily 20x what EQ receives, maybe more.

However people are still playing it but I am worried EQ may be in its last few years of service without a major overhaul or some secret sauce to get new people into the game and leveling up.
  9. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

Yeah, which is why chess died out years ago. Graphics were out of date.

/s
    Sikem, MasterMagnus, Geroblue and 3 others like this.
  10. Maedhros High King

Wow that was almost a record, its been at least a week since the last post like this.
    Was there any hint when you looked and saw dozens of new, high post count discussions?
    Is deductive reasoning even a thing anymore?
    Metanis likes this.
  11. eqzekisdead Augur

The zek pvp server is definitely dead.
  12. Captain Video Augur

Let's see if I can post. If I can't, the game is dead.
  13. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

3DGaming.net does the quickie thing with an "EverQuest Killer" called Asheron's Call. (shacknews.com, July 1999)

Everquest is dying a slow death, I would be surprised if it is still around in a year (VNboard, Google cache, Oct 2001)

Anarchy Online fulfills its potential of being an EverQuest-killer. (PCgamer review, Oct 2001)

seems to me like EQ is th same thing about now, its dying, next gen MMORPG's will be out soon, and everyone is really frustrated. (Rangers Glade, January 2002)

Shadows of Luclin is the last one to be released. EQ is dead. DAOC will kill it. (Camelot Lore board, February, 2002)

IMHO Everquest is dying... it's sad, but i think it is. The economy is going crazy.. (Alakhazam boards, February, 2002)

EverQuest is dead, deal with it. Right now 3 interns are running the entire game (Luclin.com boards, May 2003)

EQ is dieing and let me explain to you what’s going to happen. The slow death of EQ began with the over uberness of PoP and Sony's efforts to maintain a strong high end game. (Alakhazam boards, November, 2003)

Everquest is dying I am starting to see this everyday (Steel Warrior board, Dec 2003)

Final Fantasy XI will probably kill EQ, except for a few diehards that hang around. (mmorpg.com boards, Feb 2004)

Everquest is dead in the water. With World of Warcraft coming out and the new Everquest 2, nobody will be left. (g4tech boards, Aug 2004)

EQ Dieng out? (March 2004)

My question, kind of worried (Jul 2004)

NOT AGAIN !!!!!! (Oct 2004) (ok, not an "EQ is dying" thread but too funny not to include)

Enough already. (Jan 2006)

Where is Everyone (March 2006)

Is everquest dead or dying? (April 2006)

Is EQ gonna die soon (As in server shutdown)? (Aug 2008)

Worried (April 2009)

is this game dying or holding steady? (Aug 2009)

EQ is dieing. (July 2010)

future of everquest? (April 2012)

The Death of Everquest (a short rant by yours truly) (Jan 2014)

Situation with EQ - Playerbase (Feb 2014)

Smedley says... (April 2015)

It's been almost 3 years since SoE became DBG (Dec 2017)
    Gana, Gundolin, Geroblue and 10 others like this.
  14. kizant Augur

It's actually gotten kinda better in recent years.
  15. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

[IMG]
    EQ Dev and Nennius like this.
  16. Zhaunil_AB Augur

This basically.
    During my break, i've played some other games, some other MMO's.
    But in the end, i've found other games to either be cheap copies or not have the good UI (and mods) of EQ, nor the type of player-base that i could connect to.

In short:
    Yes, people still play this game.
  17. Nennius Curmudgeon

The Wheel of Misfortune spun around and another "sky is falling" post popped out. The game has issues to be sure, but as long as it is profitable someone will publish it and with the TLP servers bringing in a lot of paying subscribers the future looks bright for a few more years. I would bet on it being around for the next decade in some form.
    Maedhros likes this.
  18. Svvish New Member

If you want to try the classic game you remembered it might be worth comparing a TLP progression server with something like the project 1999 ^^
    McDougal likes this.
  19. Angahran Augur

Now if someone could explain this radical idea called 'Advertising' to DBG that would be great :p
    Geroblue likes this.
  20. Critts Augur

The game is amazing if you like grinding away for hours and slowly becoming better at what your class / classes do. The content and resent LV In crease went off without to many major problems. Overall I would say it’s still worth playing however it’s the biggest time sink. I’m unsure how much longer everquest will be live. I do imagin that there will be some changes down the road as far as servers. Also time locked progression serevers have been getting bigger since RoF lot of people playing over there.