Re-tuned HAs

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Galien, Jan 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tornicade_IV Augur

copy it and add it to your signature.
    Daedly likes this.
  2. IblisTheMage Augur

I really like that gfx :).

I want Gribble to be a killable mob in next xpac, in an HA where he is the boss. Maybe all the mobs in the HA are Gribble, so first, you kill Gribble 30 times, and then you kill boss-Gribble. *laughs maniacly*
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  3. Tornicade_IV Augur

only he keeps respawning over and over like those gnomes in the old player made eq videos... was it senso?
  4. Bigstomp Augur

I thought that was a no bald gnomes pic.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  5. IblisTheMage Augur

This.

Also, reversing a large patch would set back the entire dev cycle by a month or more. This would end up costing us a months worth of improvements, for the sake of retuning HAs. In a world where our hobby has finite resources, it is better for us to wait a month for a retune, rather than loose a month of platform progress.

Also, people where bragging about how many xp they could get in old HAs. This mechanism had the effect of making part of the investment in the new expansion mute. While I am sure it felt good for people that could race through 106-110, it did not serve them in the long run. As water taking the path of least resistance, players took the easy road to 110. This was very, very bad for the game long term. A short sighted corp type could ask the question: “why did you spend 6 months developing new content, if the players are perfectly happy grinding xp in zones that are 4 years old? Next year, you only have 50% of last years budget, just make sure that the old content is as popular as it was last winter.” I exagerate, and I am not in the gaming industry, but I work with execs taking IT decisions.

It is much more important for us that people play the new content as intended, than having all HA being available january-february. If the bulk of people level up to 110 outside new expansion content, this is a threat to future expansions. So please leave the overtuned HA in game until next patch, or whatever. Do not roll them back, it will feel good for people in the short run, but hurt them in the long run.

A danish way of saying it is:”det er som at pisse i bukserne for at holde varmen”. A bit explicit, it explores the disadvantages of people livimg in very cold regions using the method of urinating without disrobing their pants as a strategy to keep warm. Urine has body temperature, and will feel warm at first, but very soon will make the individual feel very cold, since wet pants in the winter are very, very cold. It is likely that a person has to have grown up a place with very cold winters for this saying being self evident for them. (another wtf moment brought to you by yours truly).
  6. IblisTheMage Augur

Please American co-habitants of this planet, do not assume that Euros look down at you. This is not representative. We thank you for sharing the planet with us, and taking a big big part of the responsibility for the issues in the world.
  7. IblisTheMage Augur

Nooooo. That is a no-sideburns-picture. If I became Ruler of the World, I would have it in all hipster cafes, with an immediate consequence of forced shaving if not adherred too. Civil War re-enacters could get a special permit, of course.
  8. Aurastrider Augur

I just pay my taxes, take care of my family and want to help make EQ (ok a little cheesy but I could not resist). In all seriousness one of the greatest things about this game if not the greatest is the players. Even if I really only box and play during non peak hours when there are few people on I still feel a sense of community in this game. The different personalities and people from all over the world make this an amazing experience. I have had engaging conversations over the years with people who have very interesting stories to tell and although our lives could not be any different we share a passion for this game that most of us have all come to love. As much as I might get frustrated, annoyed, or outright dumbfounded by some of the comments I see posted on the forums it beats the alternative of no EQ.
  9. Bigstomp Augur

I havn't shaved in years. (although I have lit my beard on fire by having a smoke). Am I ok to keep it?
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  10. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Not quite, since the "taking back a change" does not mean a rollback of ALL the changes, but only the reversal of that functionality.
    Granted, it's a bit more effort than simply going back to the last branch, since there have possibly other developments based on parts of the "new" HA-code - noone knows for sure how interdependant these code-parts are.

That is a personality problem of these people then perhaps.
    As has been pointed out, the XP (over time) from HAs isn't - rather: hasn't been - that great after all, except for those "spikes" once a lesson burn. And even for those lesson burns, there have been "better" alternatives for some classes and groups.

This is quite some kind of BS, i have to say!
    Can you get your VP key from HAs? Or any of the VP loot that especially groupers want?
    Any of the TS stuff needed to make RoS Tradeskill?
    No you can't.
    Though there's a valid case being made that by rights one SHOULD be able to get all that in the beefed-upHAs now, since they are or come close to RoS difficulty.
    Point being though:
    HA's aren't current content and never meant to be, except for the expansions they were part of.

Besides:
    a) leveling up anywhere you get XP is a totally viable way in a MMO.
    And they already do their best to herd people into the new expansions by reducing XP in the previous. Happened (after my break, witnessed by me personally) with TBM at EoK release, and again with EoK at EoS release. Happened also, but to a lesser extent, prior to my break (SoD and before).
    b) just because you get new levels in old content (new mobs are hitting way too hard usually, especially at release and especially against group-geared people - i just want to remind people of WoS Bazu trashing folk by the hundreds initially while WoS was "normal" to "easy" a few months in for many that weren't THAT far behind in gear) doesn't mean it invalidates the new content completely, quite the opposite.
    Once done with getting levels+spells and building some confidence, gearing is the next step - and you can only do that in the current expansion, so you go there.
    Just for how long people stay depends on their individual means - friends/regular group, gear/solo-capability and so on.
    And as we saw hundreds of characters sitting in FM and waiting for rots, we will see the same in RoS.

I don't get this.
    You are aware, i guess, that HAs are "content" too - so why shouldn't they be just as available as any other content, current one included?

And i get this even less.
    a) the change to HAs (the "properly scaling UP" ) was probably done just BECAUSE the current expansion (and several before it) is "too short" to last. So HAs scaling UP is probably seen as a viable way to make the game as a whole last longer without (much) added investment.
    b) the more content you have that you do NOT outlevel, the higher is the percentage of the players that plays outside the "intended" zones. So NOT taking the change back as soon as possible is actually counter-productive to the point you are making (which is illogical anyways, just saying you're hurting your own argument).

I for one can quite understand that people do not like to spend much time in a zone whose inhabitants (namely cats+cacti) can kill you even in raid gear before you are halfway into camp.
    Or a zone where you have a named and ONE add getting you from 250k+ to almost zero by their "on agro" abilites ONLY - they didn't even need to touch you. and yes that IS with EoK-raid-Geomantra/Mark of the mage hunter/similar spell reductions being active.

What hurts the game, long or short run, isn't where people are XPing as you claim.
    It's overall Dev/design decisions.
    Like the mob's abilities in RoS (OT and SF in particular), like the pathing or like this change to how HAs are working.
    And improper tuning that does it's own to keep players at bay (read: out of RoS) for perhaps longer than they'd have to.
  11. Zhaunil_AB Augur

meh...
    Don't make more of it than there was.
    That particular person should certainly assume that an euro is looking down on him. What's been said in that post needs not be representative, as it was a comment directly to one poster by one other.
    I stand by everything i have posted.
    If someone else than the addressed (who has a problem with my post "by nature") should have a problem with what i post, they can send me a PM - or it's "whom the shoe fits"...

And i omitted your last sentence in my quote, because that's far too much -sucking in my eyes.
    Speak only for yourself there!
  12. Kolbayn Journeyman

Haven't been playing much this past year due to health problems - due to this HAs are the only real way I can level up/get AAs ect with my little box group as I need lots of afks ( not very popular if grouping with others ) .
    As many others have said, I pay the same subs ( x3 ) as everyone else to play but if the HAs have been 'retuned' to make them almost impossible for casual players then there doesn't seem much point in carrying on subbing ( or even buying the new expansion, again x 3 ).
    Daybreak isn't just forcing people to play in the new expansion by doing this, they are forcing people to cancel subs as one of the ways us 'casuals' use to xp has been taken away.
  13. IblisTheMage Augur

Yes, and you would get the honorary name of Firebeard, He Who Defies Fire Regulations With His Face!
  14. Coronay Augur

What exactly is stopping you from 3 boxing in EoK or RoS? You can still go there and take your AFKs as needed.
  15. kyong Augur

Can you have the older HA's scale @ 5 levels behind please.
  16. Dwimmerlaike Elder

I am a returning player who hit 105 a few days after RoS. Since I have a job with lots of overtime, a family, a life, etc., I enjoyed being able to go see Franklin and getting the HA dailies in PoK and knowing most of the time I would be able to have them done in about an hour to hour and a half. Sometimes I wouldn't even get to the daily, I'd have to progress to it, but it was new and it was fun. When I have larger blocks of time I go out with guildies or I go check out other camp sites and stuff. Now I am forced to trot around the world looking for crap to do when I could just log in and do stuff. That was fine circa 2001, 2002, way back then. It isn't now. While I still play a couple times a week, it isn't enough to justify my 3 accounts so since 2 are now dormant, when the third one goes this month I will be gone if this isn't fixed or something isn't done.

As I said before I always enjoyed DoN, LDoN, DoDH, OoW types of missions and the HA's took me back to that. Redoing Kunark as my ONLY choice just sucks. I already did Kunark.

I forgot to add it also gave me the chance to invite from 1 to 3 guildies or people in general who wanted something to do even those in their high 80s and low 90s. This is supposed to be a MMO right?
    Vexana_Lanys, Niskin and Mordeen like this.
  17. Dontee Elder

If EQ wants me to three box then EQ isnt the game for me anymore (I didn't used to have to) and I think many others, good luck keeping the game running long term. Posting on my main so you know I was paying. I'll check back every so often to see if this gets undone, or if EQ really has no place anymore for a casual player.
    Mordeen likes this.
  18. Dontee Elder

Maybe many people don't want to box? I find it a huge PITA and not at all enjoyable.
    Mordeen likes this.
  19. Coronay Augur

Okay so then molo or find a group? That’s what the rest of us do.
    Whulfgar likes this.
  20. Fohpo Augur

That says enough, that's longer than it took when they were current and longer than EoK/RoS HAs currently take. Doesn't really help you with proving your point - they're currently way overtuned, which is what a number of people are arguing is the problem.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.